Staff member
Future Trainee
TCLA Moderator
Premium Member
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    Hi all, just looking for some advice. I’ve just been offered a final partner interview for a training contract and it’s my choice whether it’s virtual or in the office. I feel like I’ve done so well in virtual interviews over the last year and during this recruitment process, I’m worried that I might lose a bit of confidence if I go for an in person interview (I’m so out of practice at face to face!). But I’m also worried they might judge me for choosing the virtual option - maybe the people who come in person might come across better? Thanks

As everyone has said, do what makes you comfortable. The firm definitely isn’t going to judge you for choosing an option they have provided you with. Good luck with your interview!!

glaw23

Distinguished Member
  • May 20, 2021
    Guys this isn't directly TC related but I dunno where else to ask.

Does LPC provider matter to a firm (from self funding, not from a TC)?

I wanted BPP but I can't afford it. My undergrad uni is ranked super low (london met) but it is also like 8k cheaper for me to do the lpc there if I don't get a TC.

Does anyone have any insight on this?

A

Anon 11031

I wanted BPP but I can't afford it. My undergrad uni is ranked super low (london met) but it is also like 8k cheaper for me to do the lpc there if I don't get a TC.

From what I can gather, firms have a preference of provider once you've secured a TC with them and they're funding it - although I suspect this is largely to do with deals between the firm and ULaw/BPP.

But other than that, if you don't have a TC already, they don't seem to care very much! This is what I've heard at various grad recruitment events, anyway!

Reactions: glaw23

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020

I think there is a thread on here about this.

Reactions: glaw23

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    Keep going don't let this rejection push you back I also got rejected from a few firms this cycle. Which office did you apply to?
    Yh if I am being honest I need to recharge my battery and restart in October as I have received loads of rejections this cycle. I applied for London.

Lumree

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Highest Rated Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 17, 2019

What’re your motivations for self-funding the LPC?

I’m just thinking with the SQE coming in if you could be better off trying to either get a funded TC this year and/or seeing how the dust settles on the SQE in the next year or so? That could technically work out cheaper then too.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

It won’t matter from a firm’s perspective as it is a standardised course.

But I would ask your uni to confirm the pass rates as these vary massively between institutions (can be lower than 25% pass all the way up to 100% pass). To me I’d question going to a uni with a very low pass rate.

glaw23

Distinguished Member
  • May 20, 2021
    What’re your motivations for self-funding the LPC?

I’m just thinking with the SQE coming in if you could be better off trying to either get a funded TC this year and/or seeing how the dust settles on the SQE in the next year or so? That could technically work out cheaper then too.

I have thought about the SQE, but I wasn't sure about finances there. I was going to do the LLM LPC one for the post grad loan, then work the rest.

Honestly, I have no idea what is going on with the SQE either. I have been told it starts in September, or that it doesn't start until this time next year. I have been so focused on the route I know, that I haven't really invested any research into the new route.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I have thought about the SQE, but I wasn't sure about finances there. I was going to do the LLM LPC one for the post grad loan, then work the rest.

Honestly, I have no idea what is going on with the SQE either. I have been told it starts in September, or that it doesn't start until this time next year. I have been so focused on the route I know, that I haven't really invested any research into the new route.
    It technically has already started. The first SQE stage one assessments are being sat in November though, with SQE2 first sittings in April 2022.

A

Anon 11031

But I would ask your uni to confirm the pass rates as these vary massively between institutions (can be lower than 25% pass all the way up to 100% pass). To me I’d question going to a uni with a very low pass rate.
    These figures still don't seem widely available, do you know where I can find them?

Reactions: AspiringLawyer101

glaw23

Distinguished Member
  • May 20, 2021

This is a very good point, actually. I will email them and ask!

It technically has already started. The first SQE stage one assessments are being sat in November though, with SQE2 first sittings in April 2022.

I see! This might be where the confusion is coming from from those who have spoken about the SQE with me.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    These figures still don't seem widely available, do you know where I can find them?
    They percentages are public - however the data is anonymised, so you don’t get to see which uni has ranked so badly.

But that’s why I would be asking an individual university to provide evidence as to what their pass rate is. And I’d be asking for it in writing too!

• 🤝
    Reactions: Anon 11031
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.