2020-21 Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

glaw23

Distinguished Member
  • May 20, 2021
    Not exactly TC related but...

I have somehow gained an interview for a paralegal role with a good firm. It says I will be asked "a mix of questions based on your experience and capabilities" and a short written exercise at the end of the interview. Does anyone have any tips/advice about this or how to prepare for either the interview or written exercise?

This is my first legal role interview so I am extremely nervous. I really want this job 🥺

Last edited:

Matt_96

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
  • Dec 15, 2018

I have somehow gained an interview for a paralegal role with a good firm. It says I will be asked "a mix of questions based on your experience and capabilities" and a short written exercise at the end of the interview. Does anyone have any tips/advice about this or how to prepare for either the interview or written exercise?

This is my first legal role interview so I am extremely nervous. I really want this job 🥺

It sounds to me like they'll probably ask you about competency and career-focused questions. Things like when have you managed a tight deadline, how do you like to work within a team etc etc, as well as why become a paralegal and why this firm as opposed to any other.

The written exercise could be on anything. But given the nature of the role (research and drafting correspondence mostly) I would expect it to be something that requires you to either write a formal letter, research note or critique the problems with an existing one.

• ℹ️
    Reactions: Jaysen, glaw23 and Anon 11031

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

This post may help:

• ℹ️
    Reactions: Dheepa and glaw23
    A

Anon 11031

Thank you ❤️ I think I’m just going to take a break now, I got rejected for a TC at the final stage where I did my vacation scheme
    Sorry to hear this Mel. ❤️

Sometimes it's good to give yourself a little break and time to reset. Get yourself some ice cream and order some takeouts. Try to watch some comfort TV shows/movies and just allow yourself to relax for a few days.

If you need to vent or anything, my DMs are always there.

Noodles52

Distinguished Member
  • Jun 24, 2021
    I remember when I applied that there was an option to apply for '22 or '23 so I am wondering if they are dealing with '22 and then moving to '23. I mean, clearly I am just in denial about my pending PFO haha, but you have to live in hope. How long before it's appropriate to chase do you think, end of the week?
    Considering it was the 31st to hear back regardless of the year applied for, I would say end of the week is perfectly fine! I'm not holding out much, but I have a couple I need to chase up as well.

Noodles52

Distinguished Member
  • Jun 24, 2021
    I'm currently in the process of applying for another TC, this time at an independent firm rather than an international. The questions they ask are similar/the same as others I have answered in other applications, but they only allow for 800 characters max. Do I go quality with my answers and give maybe one or two examples for each answer, or try and list as many as possible with less of an explanation for each one? So far, my answers are more leaning towards the first way of qualitative writing.

For example: what qualities do I possess that make me a great candidate for a TC. I've answered with two that I genuinely think are really important and also ways in how I've demonstrated these in other areas, but I worry that I'm missing out others that they would rather a candidate answer with.

TIA x

M&ALawyer

Valued Member
    Future Trainee
    Jul 29, 2019
    I'm currently in the process of applying for another TC, this time at an independent firm rather than an international. The questions they ask are similar/the same as others I have answered in other applications, but they only allow for 800 characters max. Do I go quality with my answers and give maybe one or two examples for each answer, or try and list as many as possible with less of an explanation for each one? So far, my answers are more leaning towards the first way of qualitative writing.

For example: what qualities do I possess that make me a great candidate for a TC. I've answered with two that I genuinely think are really important and also ways in how I've demonstrated these in other areas, but I worry that I'm missing out others that they would rather a candidate answer with.

TIA x

Hi there,

I would definitely go with the quality answer approach you have. This way you can demonstrate exactly how you've developed the qualities they are looking for. Just providing a list I believe may be a bit arbitrary if you're not able to explain/justify in sufficient detail the qualities you have in the list.

I would also say there is likely no one glove fits all approach with the qualities (as long as they are relevant) so I wouldn't worry too much about missing out some you think they are are looking for. There are a number of qualities which would likely make you a good candidate for the TC at the firm and the character count does not allow you to explain in enough breadth. Personally, I always tried to give three qualities that made me a good candidate for the firm and this approach worked out fine.

Just one example for each quality you have should be fine. Perhaps there may also be a way to combine examples to fit the word count. For instance, "I have developed [X quality] in [work experience 1] and [work experience 2] where I consolidated my [relevant skills] through conducting [ABC tasks]'. Of course, there are a number of valid ways to answer this question and you don't necessarily have to use work experiences etc.

Best of luck!

Last edited:
    • 🏆
    Reactions: Dheepa and Matt_96

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi, me again. I was also wondering, for Freshfields, does it matter if I submit my WG test earlier/later? Will submitting it earlier increase my chances of securing an AC with them? @Jessica Booker what are your thoughts? Thank you! 😊
    No - it has no impact along as you do it within the deadline set.

Reactions: Bee6

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019

TIA x

Hey!

Some firms do list the key qualities they're looking for in trainees on their website or graduate brochures. I'd suggest trying to see if the firm you're applying to has this information and that way you can be more certain that you're covering the qualities they want to see the most. If they don't have this information then I'd agree with @M&ALawyer that as long as the skills you are highlighting are relevant, you're in the clear!

AMey

Standard Member
    Premium Member
    Aug 27, 2020
    Sorry to keep asking the same sort of questions, but did anyone apply to Ropes & Gray for their direct TC starting Sept 2021? The deadline was Sunday and I was just wondering what the timeline is/what comes after the application!
    I haven’t heard anything yet either. Would be interested if you have any update. I believe there’s a short scheme running from 16th to 20th August!

Reactions: AW_08

Noodles52

Distinguished Member
  • Jun 24, 2021
    Hi there,

I would definitely go with the quality answer approach you have. This way you can demonstrate exactly how you've developed the qualities they are looking for. Just providing a list I believe may be a bit arbitrary if you're not able to explain/justify in sufficient detail the qualities you have in the list.

I would also say there is likely no one glove fits all approach with the qualities (as long as they are relevant) so I wouldn't worry too much about missing out some you think they are are looking for. There are a number of qualities which would likely make you a good candidate for the TC at the firm and the character count does not allow you to explain in enough breadth. Personally, I always tried to give three qualities that made me a good candidate for the firm and this approach worked out fine.

Just one example for each quality you have should be fine. Perhaps there may also be a way to combine examples to fit the word count. For instance, "I have developed [X quality] in [work experience 1] and [work experience 2] where I consolidated my [relevant skills] through conducting [ABC tasks]'. Of course, there are a number of valid ways to answer this question and you don't necessarily have to use work experiences etc.

Best of luck!
    Thank you for this!!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.