2020-21 Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

meganwatt2608

Jul 31, 2021
Congrats on the VI. Can I ask when you applied please? I’m still waiting post app🤨
Thanks so much! I actually submitted my application on the deadline day so the 31st of July (last minute I know haha), which office have you applied for? I know people still waiting for Manchester but I have applied for Scotland so may be slightly different time frames!

Law2022

Legendary Member
May 3, 2020
Thanks so much! I actually submitted my application on the deadline day so the 31st of July (last minute I know haha), which office have you applied for? I know people still waiting for Manchester but I have applied for Scotland so may be slightly different time frames!
I applied to London on the 16/6 but no correspondence yet. I hope they get back to you soon and good luck!

D

Deleted member 2707

Generic advice here, but always have at least a few commercial stories to discuss in depth:

4 Key stories to have in the bank:

1: I normally research in depth one ‘macro’/ wide ranging issue (i.e inflation, crypto regulation, Brexit etc ), and consider effects on clients/the firm.

2. then another topic on something that is tied to the firm’s key practice area in a more niche way (I.e trends in private equity)

3. A key deal or piece of litigation that interests you (I spoke about the GameStop fiasco/retail investors uprising in my last interview).

4. A deal/piece of work that the FIRM itself has worked on that you found interesting-forgot this in my first interview- never again!

Lastly, go over personal strengths and motivations. Scrutinise and create succinct answer for your motivations for why law, why this firm, and reflect on on past experiences and think about what you contributed/learnt from them and why that would make you a good trainee.
Hello! This is excellent advice and a great summary- may I ask when you're talking about 'macro', is it just a more general topic? Eg: China's regulatory crackdown, agile working etc.

ELaw2021

Future Trainee
Apr 27, 2021
I've seen a lot of people say that competition for training contracts this year has been particular hard and competitive. Have you all found this to be true compared to previous years (this has been my first year applying)? And do you think it'll get even more competitive from now on?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I've seen a lot of people say that competition for training contracts this year has been particular hard and competitive. Have you all found this to be true compared to previous years (this has been my first year applying)? And do you think it'll get even more competitive from now on?
It always is at times of recession. The job market tightens and people who would have considered other careers tend to lean towards law because it’s one of the more stable entry point careers.

Plus people tend to make more applications when they perceive a bigger risk.

But I’d stress it’s always competitive and has been since the mid noughties (blame the internet and social media).

• ℹ️
Reactions: Jaysen
Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.