2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

OB

Legendary Member
2020 Community Winner
Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 10, 2020
    HSF PFO Post-Test! For reference, I submitted my application on the 4th of December and did the test a few days later and I seemed to have initially past the test benchmark!
    HSF wouldn't have reviewed your application before you did the test as everyone does it. Once you pass the test, they decide they'll review your application :)

Reactions: JoNo and 21wajsz

Elle W

Valued Member
    Jan 12, 2021
    Passed simmons + simmons application stage and judgement test!!!! First time past the application stage! Anyone have advice on the written test + video interview.?
    Just received this too!! would also be grateful for any advice :)
    Well done to you both!

For the written test, you have to summarise a document and you have 12 minutes to do so. The video interview is a mix of motivational and competency questions and (if I remember correctly) you have 30 seconds to prepare and 90 seconds to answer. To prep I would recommend filming yourself and speaking into the camera and trying to answer questions for 90 seconds as it's a bit weird!

The logical test is difficult to be honest - try doing a practice Korn Ferry one and maybe find some other ones online but the verbal reasoning test was more standard.

Good luck! :)

• ℹ️
    Reactions: _mxrkyyy, Emily K and ishikam

mch16

• May 3, 2020
    Passed simmons + simmons application stage and judgement test!!!! First time past the application stage! Anyone have advice on the written test + video interview.?
    Just received this too!! would also be grateful for any advice :)

Well done both! I just completed the VI and written test and found the written test more difficult. As stated above, you are given 12 minutes to highlight key information in an article. Make sure you adhere to the time constraints as I found I focussed on the first part of the question rather than all elements. The final question of the 5 is a situational judgement question.

Best of luck.

• ℹ️
    Reactions: _mxrkyyy and Emily K

HorsesForCoursesNeighNeighNeigh

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
    M&A Bootcamp
    Dec 1, 2020
    I just did my S&S a few days ago, all of that above is correct. Logical test is very hard, but don't panic I think everyone finds it difficult. The logical and verbal tests are sat separately, then you do the written test with the interview as one bundle. Was all explained very well as you went through it.

• ℹ️
    Reactions: _mxrkyyy, Emily K and leolegal

Tarnjeet

Esteemed Member
    Oct 20, 2020
    I just did my S&S a few days ago, all of that above is correct. Logical test is very hard, but don't panic I think everyone finds it difficult. The logical and verbal tests are sat separately, then you do the written test with the interview as one bundle. Was all explained very well as you went through it.
    Are the logical/verbal tests and the written test/interview all done in one sitting?

stayawakewaitforme

Jan 13, 2020
    Rejection pre VI from Eversheds (Leeds office, applied end October for Summer Vac).
    This one stings a bit tbh, attended their insight evening and had such a great time and spent a long time on the app :(
    Oh well, only 3 more apps to go this round. Really praying at this point 😂🥴
    So sorry to hear this, keep your fingers crossed for the other applications!
    Just a query but have your other apps been Leeds offices, and have you heard anything?

Emily K

Valued Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Dec 29, 2018
    Well done to you both!

For the written test, you have to summarise a document and you have 12 minutes to do so. The video interview is a mix of motivational and competency questions and (if I remember correctly) you have 30 seconds to prepare and 90 seconds to answer. To prep I would recommend filming yourself and speaking into the camera and trying to answer questions for 90 seconds as it's a bit weird!

The logical test is difficult to be honest - try doing a practice Korn Ferry one and maybe find some other ones online but the verbal reasoning test was more standard.

Good luck! :)
    Well done both! I just completed the VI and written test and found the written test more difficult. As stated above, you are given 12 minutes to highlight key information in an article. Make sure you adhere to the time constraints as I found I focussed on the first part of the question rather than all elements. The final question of the 5 is a situational judgement question.

Best of luck.

This is all so useful, thank you!! :) there's so many elements to this application haha!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.