Staff member
Future Trainee
TCLA Moderator
Premium Member
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    Say I hadn't even started the job? Could I renege it then?

Yes you probably could. From my own personal experience, the notice period requirement typically takes effect from your actual start date.

Just gonna tag @Jessica Booker anyway since she probably will have a more definitive answer

PS: Congrats on your three job offers! That's amazing!!!

Reactions: JoNo

Kelly_

Distinguished Member
    Nov 9, 2020
    Hi! I was just wondering with regard to this question "Why do you want to become a solicitor and what attributes do you believe you need to excel in this field?" Should I here focus only on the attributes themselves or should I also talk about how I have demonstrated those attributes, or would that not be answering the question?
    Many thanks!

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    Hi! I was just wondering with regard to this question "Why do you want to become a solicitor and what attributes do you believe you need to excel in this field?" Should I here focus only on the attributes themselves or should I also talk about how I have demonstrated those attributes, or would that not be answering the question?
    Many thanks!

How long is the word limit? :)

AS2000

Distinguished Member
    Nov 15, 2020
    I applied for Latham's summer scheme in a previous cycle and I remember getting my VI invite a lot later than most people on TCLA at the time!
    Thanks for letting me know. I was afraid I was getting rejected as Latham is my dream firm. I attended their open day this year and worked really hard on the app. Getting rejected before a VI would be a huge blow to me. I submitted my app on 31/12. hope they do send the invites in batches this time too.

RJW

Standard Member
    Jan 14, 2021
    Thanks for letting me know. I was afraid I was getting rejected as Latham is my dream firm. I attended their open day this year and worked really hard on the app. Getting rejected before a VI would be a huge blow to me. I submitted my app on 31/12. hope they do send the invites in batches this time too.
    I submitted mine on the 26th November and also not heard anything so I wouldn't worry

Reactions: AS2000

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    250 words so not that long!

I'd suggest sticking to the question then and only include what qualities are needed. I think the key is to demonstrate your understanding of the role of a solicitor so when you expand on the attributes make sure to really delve into how these attributes would help you with day to day tasks as a trainee.

Rob93

Legendary Member
    Dec 29, 2020
    Many thanks!
    I would probably approach that by using the experiences which underpin your interest in the career to demonstrate those attributes, and taking care to justify why you think those attributes are needed to excel in the field. So not necessarily explicitly linking the two, which could get a bit clunky especially with that word count, but having a sort of parallel structure to the two components of the question. Possibly would cover off the attributes component prior to the motivation component so that the implicit link is more apparent.

With double-barreled questions like this I think part of what they're trying to get is how you structure the response.

Hele25

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 5, 2021
    So sorry to hear this, keep your fingers crossed for the other applications!
    Just a query but have your other apps been Leeds offices, and have you heard anything?
    Absolutely nothing from Walker Morris or Addleshaw and the other doesn’t close until Feb so I’ll have to be ✨patient ✨ 😂💀

AS2000

Distinguished Member
    Nov 15, 2020
    I just got put through to the interview for Slaughters VS! Absolutely ecstatic as it was my first choice firm. Has anyone else heard from them or have any experience with their interview? I've heard it's quite conversationalist but the current affairs article section can be a challenge?
    Congrats! I haven't been to their interview yet (TC interview in March), but from what I have seen at their Winter Workshop, it is a conversationalist interview. The current affairs part is basically you summarising an article and defending your points against partners. It can look scary but don't worry too much about it. I think it may be best to practice with your friends and family beforehand to see how well you can defend your points.

Reactions: Jxmxs00

21wajsz

Legendary Member
  • Dec 3, 2020
    I just got put through to the interview for Slaughters VS! Absolutely ecstatic as it was my first choice firm. Has anyone else heard from them or have any experience with their interview? I've heard it's quite conversationalist but the current affairs article section can be a challenge?
    Congratulations! If you don't mind sharing, when did you apply?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.