Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Can anybody tell me if Slaughter and May only accepts applications from first/ high 2:1 students?
I have a 2:2 in one subject both years, and fear it will lead to a straight away rejection.
Has anybody had a different experience?

Heard of enough trainees with the occasional 2.2 still get roles at Slaughters. Will depend on the relative strength of the rest of your academics and the rest of your application though

tractor12

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Oct 6, 2019
You can always email Grad Rec if you're worried about it, but I definitely submitted mine in time and didn't get an email so I think you're all good :) and no, haven't had an update yet! (But only completed it yesterday)
Do you know if you only get a WG if you pass the initial application? Do they then look at your score in tandem with the application or just base next stage off the WG score?

Best of luck!

gg332dd

Valued Member
Apr 2, 2020
Do you know if you only get a WG if you pass the initial application? Do they then look at your score in tandem with the application or just base next stage off the WG score?

Best of luck!

The email I received said I passed the initial screening and the next step is to complete the WG. Not sure what they actually look at during “initial screening” though.

WannabeLawyer

Sep 1, 2020

Best of luck!
Just to reiterate gg332dd's comment - you have to pass the 'initial screening' to be sent the WG. Unfortunately, I'm not sure what the process is (if they just look at WG score, or whether it's considered alongside your application) after you've completed the WG!

Nat000

Esteemed Member
Future Trainee
  • Feb 14, 2020
    Been invited to an interview with Stephenson Harwood!! So happy to finally have passed the WGT test :)

If anyone has ANY experience with interviews id really appreciate some advice because I have little experience at them & really want to impress.

Congrats!

My biggest piece of interview advice is to never be surprised by anything. No matter what they ask, or how weird/difficult to answer the question is, take a moment to think about it.

Reactions: M1999

Law_Grad1

Star Member
    Oct 12, 2018
    Been invited to an interview with Stephenson Harwood!! So happy to finally have passed the WGT test :)

If anyone has ANY experience with interviews id really appreciate some advice because I have little experience at them & really want to impress.

Your mileage may vary, but just some general points that have held me in good stead so far in my own search:
    • As a general preparation technique have found it helpful to always print out my applications before an interview and go through it sentence by sentence with a highlighter and a pen and in make a note of any points I have raised where the interview might challenge me / ask for more information. Then I can brainstorm potential discussion topics / questions.

- E.G. I once mentioned my interest in the transport sector in an app, and made a note of a couple of developments in the sector since I'd submitted my app. I was then asked at interview about what I thought some key issues in the sector were and why I was interested in the sector. Not everything will be so black and white but you get the gist.

• I would generally always have a recent news story to talk about, with some bullet points on how it would affect the firm's clients and the firm itself. The important thing is to find something interesting to you, which you can talk about confidently.

• I also try and write down all the key skills that the particular firm is looking for, then match them to my work experience / answers, just so I can quickly link any competency questions to my experience. Added bonus - in doing so, I remind myself of why I was selected for interview. It might sound stupid, but it really does help me with my confidence going into the interview.

I try and write it out as explicitly as possible to commit it to memory, as I find that it really helps me prepare for competency questions, e.g.:

Skill: Activity # 1 that links to it; E.G. of using that skill in that activity.

• SH interview is a healthy mix of commercial awareness / competency / and motivation. I didn't think any of the questions were super out of the ordinary, it very much felt like they were trying to give me the best chance possible to show my best side. The whole Grad Rec team were very friendly and actively try to make you feel comfortable. If you have any general questions about SH shoot me a PM.
    If you are getting to this stage you have definitely got the skills to go forward. Grad Rec read tons of apps and can tell a good app when they see one. If you are there, its because you deserve to be! Hope this helps and wishing you great luck in your interview!

M1999

Legendary Member
    Nov 28, 2019
    Your mileage may vary, but just some general points that have held me in good stead so far in my own search:
    • As a general preparation technique have found it helpful to always print out my applications before an interview and go through it sentence by sentence with a highlighter and a pen and in make a note of any points I have raised where the interview might challenge me / ask for more information. Then I can brainstorm potential discussion topics / questions.

- E.G. I once mentioned my interest in the transport sector in an app, and made a note of a couple of developments in the sector since I'd submitted my app. I was then asked at interview about what I thought some key issues in the sector were and why I was interested in the sector. Not everything will be so black and white but you get the gist.

• I would generally always have a recent news story to talk about, with some bullet points on how it would affect the firm's clients and the firm itself. The important thing is to find something interesting to you, which you can talk about confidently.

• I also try and write down all the key skills that the particular firm is looking for, then match them to my work experience / answers, just so I can quickly link any competency questions to my experience. Added bonus - in doing so, I remind myself of why I was selected for interview. It might sound stupid, but it really does help me with my confidence going into the interview.

I try and write it out as explicitly as possible to commit it to memory, as I find that it really helps me prepare for competency questions, e.g.:

Skill: Activity # 1 that links to it; E.G. of using that skill in that activity.

• SH interview is a healthy mix of commercial awareness / competency / and motivation. I didn't think any of the questions were super out of the ordinary, it very much felt like they were trying to give me the best chance possible to show my best side. The whole Grad Rec team were very friendly and actively try to make you feel comfortable. If you have any general questions about SH shoot me a PM.
    If you are getting to this stage you have definitely got the skills to go forward. Grad Rec read tons of apps and can tell a good app when they see one. If you are there, its because you deserve to be! Hope this helps and wishing you great luck in your interview!

Thank you so much I really appreciate this! I definitely will take all these into consideration when doing my prep!

:)

lawgirl1234

Star Member
    Oct 20, 2020
    Hey! I'm a brand ambassador for CMS and you are unlikely to hear back anything after the WG test until after the application deadline has passed! Hope this helps :)
    oh amazing, thank you! I thought as much but had seen people have been rejected post-WG so was slightly confused. Thanks again!

Reactions: JW

lawyermeup

Distinguished Member
    Future Trainee
    Sep 20, 2020
    I was just wondering how many days/weeks do you guys have on average between an interview invitation and an actual interview for a vac scheme/TC. I have never had one and now I am focusing on writing apps but just in case I am lucky enough to get an interview, I wanted to know how long I will have to prepare. :)

So far I've been given a week to a week and a half preparation time between interview invite and the AC!

• ℹ️
    Reactions: IntrepidL and nicole88

JJP

Star Member
    Aug 4, 2020
    Got an interview for Jones Day winter vac!

Got an interview for Jones Day - applied on 27th Oct
    Waiting to hear from Simmons post VI - applied on 16th Oct
    Waiting to hear from Linklaters for winter vac scheme

Just in case others are in similar positions! :)

Congrats both on the interviews! I suppose a similar question to the above post - how long have Jones Day given you between invite & interview?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.