2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ricky

Legendary Member
2020 Community Winner
Sep 16, 2018
In the meantime, we could organise some virtual drinks and a pub quiz type thing. Who's keen? Thinking in a couple of weeks time once all the assessments etc are done would be ideal. If sufficient interest could start a new 'Social Thread' to arrange.

S87

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 4, 2018
It is officially the weekend!! I can do hard training and then waist all my efforts into a bottle of beer and prodigal son episodes!!
Good Music Dancing GIF by BET Hip Hop Awards

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Just wondering how to interpret this question:

Womble Bond Dickinson has been recognised as an innovator within the legal profession. Tell us about a business or person you feel has been particularly innovative; why do you find them innovative and are there any lessons that we can learn from them?

Does the 'we' here refer to WBD itself or 'we' in the broader sense, as a society?
WBD

• 🤝
Reactions: cloud9

OB

Legendary Member
2020 Community Winner
Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 10, 2020
    Anyone who attended TCLA's law firm as a business webinar, could someone please explain why higher leverage equals higher revenue for each partner? I remember him saying that if associates worked for free, you've leveraged up time - I don't understand this, because wouldn't you want associates to be paid? Or have I misheard this/am i missing the whole point 😅 TIA!
    I didn't go to the webinar above, but this term leverage and other key law firm metrics are explained really well in one of Shearman & Sterling's Whiteboard Wednesday videos!

• ℹ️
    • 🏆
    Reactions: em311, Rashida, RS134 and 6 others

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    In the meantime, we could organise some virtual drinks and a pub quiz type thing. Who's keen? Thinking in a couple of weeks time once all the assessments etc are done would be ideal. If sufficient interest could start a new 'Social Thread' to arrange.
    I've got a premium zoom license through my company, happy to use it if that would be a help :)

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Anyone who attended TCLA's law firm as a business webinar, could someone please explain why higher leverage equals higher revenue for each partner? I remember him saying that if associates worked for free, you've leveraged up time - I don't understand this, because wouldn't you want associates to be paid? Or have I misheard this/am i missing the whole point 😅 TIA!
    @LM can help here!

LM

Star Member
    Associate
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Jan 5, 2021
    @LM can help here!
    Thanks @Jaysen and @layk.

I want you to ignore what I said in the presentation and focus on my response below, as hopefully this shall address any confusion.

In simple terms, leveraging makes it possible for partners to bring in more money, billing no more and often fewer hours than they are currently billing. To increase leverage, a partner will place more associates on a matter.

Let's take for example a partner (Partner). Partner charges £300 an hour for 10 hours of work and brings in £3,000.

Let's change this fact pattern. Let's say 5 of the 10 hours Partner worked are passed down to an associate (Associate). The Partner now brings in only £1,500 and the Associate, at their rate of £150 an hour, bring in £750. The total billed to the client, is reduced to £2,250. Bare in mind that the £750 that wasn't charged isn't "lost", because the extra five hours Partner doesn't bill on this matter can go on another matter, which will give the firm an additional £1,500. Add this £1,500 to the £2,250 billed and the firm sees £3,750 - all without the partner billing an additional hour / more time.

As you can see from the above, by leveraging up more associates on a matter, the firm is able to gain more revenue. Further, as Partner's salary comes from the firm's revenue, they will get paid more.

Let me know if this is still unclear!

• ℹ️
    • 🏆
    Reactions: Jean, YFA, rtk and 24 others

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    Thanks @Jaysen and @layk.

I want you to ignore what I said in the presentation and focus on my response below, as hopefully this shall address any confusion.

In simple terms, leveraging makes it possible for partners to bring in more money, billing no more and often fewer hours than they are currently billing. To increase leverage, a partner will place more associates on a matter.

Let's take for example a partner (Partner). Partner charges £300 an hour for 10 hours of work and brings in £3,000.

Let's change this fact pattern. Let's say 5 of the 10 hours Partner worked are passed down to an associate (Associate). The Partner now brings in only £1,500 and the Associate, at their rate of £150 an hour, bring in £750. The total billed to the client, is reduced to £2,250. Bare in mind that the £750 that wasn't charged isn't "lost", because the extra five hours Partner doesn't bill on this matter can go on another matter, which will give the firm an additional £1,500. Add this £1,500 to the £2,250 billed and the firm sees £3,750 - all without the partner billing an additional hour / more time.

As you can see from the above, by leveraging up more associates on a matter, the firm is able to gain more revenue. Further, as Partner's salary comes from the firm's revenue, they will get paid more.

Let me know if this is still unclear!
    *bookmarks*

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.