Status
Not open for further replies.

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
this might be a very general question, but does anyone have any advice on how to go about structuring cover letters? i have submitted a few cover letters in my time but i havent been successful in those applications. i was wondering if anyone is willing to look at mine and let me know whats wrong with it/give any feedback. thank you guys!
The key things most firms want to see covered are the following:

Why commercial law?
Why the firm?
Why you?

Do be mindful of law firm advice available on their websites etc but this is a general rule of thumb. I know Slaughters like people to address mitigating circumstances and any reasons for lower grades etc in theirs.

In terms of structuring the above, I tend to approach it in the order I have given but I tend to try to have a linking point between all three sections to ensure flow and some logic for the reader. I read an application this week where a candidate did why commercial law, and then they had alternate paragraphs addressing 'why them?' and 'why the firm?' which just didn't work. There was no link and it just read quite chaotically in my opinion. There are no hard and fast ways of structuring as such but just make it clear, logical and easy to follow. Note as well that the three points I have given here are not mutually exclusive - because of the need to give personal examples and tie things back to you personally, 'why you?' should really feature throughout every paragraph in some way, when addressing 'why the firm?' and 'why commercial law?', these personal points will just not be the sole focus of the paragraph.

• ℹ️
  • 🏆
Reactions: Tushar and Bugsy Malone

lawgirl1234

Star Member
Oct 20, 2020

Why commercial law?
Why the firm?
Why you?

Do be mindful of law firm advice available on their websites etc but this is a general rule of thumb. I know Slaughters like people to address mitigating circumstances and any reasons for lower grades etc in theirs.

In terms of structuring the above, I tend to approach it in the order I have given but I tend to try to have a linking point between all three sections to ensure flow and some logic for the reader. I read an application this week where a candidate did why commercial law, and then they had alternate paragraphs addressing 'why them?' and 'why the firm?' which just didn't work. There was no link and it just read quite chaotically in my opinion. There are no hard and fast ways of structuring as such but just make it clear, logical and easy to follow. Note as well that the three points I have given here are not mutually exclusive - because of the need to give personal examples and tie things back to you personally, 'why you?' should really feature throughout every paragraph in some way, when addressing 'why the firm?' and 'why commercial law?', these personal points will just not be the sole focus of the paragraph.

If there's a separate question on the application which essentially is 'why the firm?' would it be ok to put much less emphasis on this part in the cover letter? Obviously I would still make links where appropriate but perhaps not talk about it in as much detail. Thanks in advance!

Reactions: Alice G

ruby1

Standard Member
Oct 5, 2019
I completed a CMS VI on 10th December and haven't heard back.. has anyone who completed one around the same time heard anything? The status on the portal says 'reviewed' also

Sekani Wraith

Valued Member
Aug 26, 2020
Just heard back for Jones Day today (application is for both of their schemes), for invite for a late Feb interview. Looks pretty damn intense, chat with an Associate followed by 40 minutes with two "senior lawyers."

I had my initial Mayer Brown telephone interview before, this is my first proper big big interview! :D

You'd be surprised. I did a winter vac scheme with them last cycle and my interview was a nicer conversation than I have had with some of my friends. They did the whole good cop bad cop thing but luckily for me, the bad cop had to leave to meet a client 5 minutes into the interview, so me and good cop had a great time for 30 minutes. Good luck!

OB

Legendary Member
2020 Community Winner
Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 10, 2020
    I completed a CMS VI on 10th December and haven't heard back.. has anyone who completed one around the same time heard anything? The status on the portal says 'reviewed' also
    I’m in the same position as you !
    I completed my VI on 12th November and didn't hear back til 22nd December, so nearly 6 weeks! Don't lose hope :) Mine also showed as reviewed for a few weeks.

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    If there's a separate question on the application which essentially is 'why the firm?' would it be ok to put much less emphasis on this part in the cover letter? Obviously I would still make links where appropriate but perhaps not talk about it in as much detail. Thanks in advance!
    I think yes you would be fine to make fewer points or maybe even one key one if the word count is tight - if you can offer different points to that in the application form question then that would be a good approach to take :)

• 📥
    Reactions: Veep9

acceleratedlaw

Legendary Member
    Jan 27, 2020

Why commercial law?
    Why the firm?
    Why you?

Hi Alice, thank you for your response! I was also wondering, how important is it to add the technical stuff such as your address and the firm's address to the cover letter? esp given the word count, i dont wanna be wasting words if that is not necessary.

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    Hi Alice, thank you for your response! I was also wondering, how important is it to add the technical stuff such as your address and the firm's address to the cover letter? esp given the word count, i dont wanna be wasting words if that is not necessary.
    I think this might vary firm by firm and if there is a word count, I would personally be less inclined to include the address and date etc unless the firm website/grad rec advise explicitly otherwise of course. I do think the addresses and date look good though and if there is not a word count I would always include it. Make sure you research exactly how to present this as I have seen it be done incorrectly many times. You also don't need a line for the 'subject' of the letter - they know it is a covering letter and I would omit this.

I.Like.UFOs.Not.PFOs

Esteemed Member
    Jan 6, 2021
    Guys - an important reminder that for anyone submitting to Freshfields, there is a template document you need to download when you are in the application portal which you copy and paste your personal statement into before uploading. Good luck to everyone submitting!
    Hi! I’ve literally just created a TCLA account now to say thank you for this. I assumed that we were to upload a typical word document etc and only glanced over the instructions (which is a lesson well learned to read more carefully from now on!). Your comment just made me double check and now I’ve uploaded my personal statement using the template, so again, thank you!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.