2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

RyanM1

Star Member
Jan 4, 2021
My flatmates don't know what vac schemes are but just got the drinks out. PARTAY
Happy Fresh Prince GIF by Nick At Nite
Congratulations!

layla rose

Legendary Member
  • Nov 27, 2020
    Hey, can I just start by saying how relatable your username is 😅 .

Honestly, I used to feel exactly like this as well and I think most people do. I think almost everyone goes into the app process thinking barely any of their apps will work out and then when you do get to the AC stage the panic sets in because you feel like you either don't know where to start or if you do it's stressful cause it can feel like you're starting from zero all over again. Please don't feel like you are alone in feeling like you are unprepared. Everyone feels like this and in fact I was literally just talking to a close friend still doing apps about how she feels the same thing!

The best way to approach them would be to systematically break down the different components of the AC. Typically most ACs involve a case study, a partner interview and a group exercise of some kind (sometimes a negotiation, sometimes a discussion)

@Jacob Miller has written some of the most fantastic resources out there on most of these AC elements and I'd recommend starting there.

In terms of commercial/legal knowledge, law firms definitely don't expect you to be a legal genius or know every intricate detail. Some great advice a friend once gave me was that no law firm would hire someone who is an expert in these things for an entry level role in which the whole point is to train you! Firms just want to see that you have a clear interest in the commercial world, the ability to develop an opinion on issues, and that you are able to logically work through problems. To help you understand basic commercial concepts I'd really recommend Jake Schogger's Commercial Law Handbook, TCLA's own Commercial Booklets and the M&A Course on TCLA as well (the latter is especially helpful because a majority of law firm case studies tend to involve an M&A transaction) Other than that there are some great podcasts you can listen to (linked to a thread on this here), to help you keep up to date on news stories.

Also don't forget that AC invites are extremely difficult to secure and you only make it that far because 1. You've already demonstrated some of the most important qualities they are looking for (including the commercial knowledge) and 2. The firms genuinely want to understand your motivations better. It's all about selling your experiences and the great thing about that is that all you have to do is talk about yourself in the best way possible!
    Thank you so much for this! I also feel suddenly reassured and a bit more at ease about the whole process :)

2020Applicant

Junior Lawyer
    Jan 22, 2021
    Hi, does anyone have any experience with requesting adjustments for the interview process. I have a disability which enables me to get extra time for my exams at university and I was considering asking for extra time regarding the article reading portion of my upcoming interview. I am able to provide evidence for the request, however my concern is whether asking for adjustments is likely to disadvantage my application as if so, I'd rather just try and perform my best without the adjustments.

I'm sure nobody has a definitive answer to this question however if anyone has experienced this, I would be grateful for any insight or advice.

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    Hi, does anyone have any experience with requesting adjustments for the interview process. I have a disability which enables me to get extra time for my exams at university and I was considering asking for extra time regarding the article reading portion of my upcoming interview. I am able to provide evidence for the request, however my concern is whether asking for adjustments is likely to disadvantage my application as if so, I'd rather just try and perform my best without the adjustments.

I'm sure nobody has a definitive answer to this question however if anyone has experienced this, I would be grateful for any insight or advice.

It definitely will not disadvantage your application and I'd really strongly recommend letting the firm know about your circumstances! I think firms are more than used to making adjustments like this anyway. Perhaps @Jessica Booker can give you more insight

Bugsy Malone

Legendary Member
    Commercial Writer
    Junior Lawyer
    Jun 24, 2018

Hey - if you email grad rec explaining how much extra time you usually get and with evidence, eg a report, then I’m sure they will allow you extra time. I’ve done this will acs at different City firms and never been refused. Good luck with your ac :)

Last edited:
    Reactions: l0133 and Dheepa

Victoria R

Distinguished Member
    Jul 17, 2020
    How do i answer what's the least enjoyable thing about commercial law without sounding like I dislike the role in general?

I would maybe go for something 'objectively' bad, for example its reputation for long hours and a bad work / life balance... then expanding on that, you could qualify that you don't mind doing it when its to achieve a goal or alternatively, use it as a springboard to emphasise firms' supportive cultures.

Reactions: Bugsy Malone

cryingoverTCs

Legendary Member
  • Mar 1, 2020
    Hey, can I just start by saying how relatable your username is 😅 .

Honestly, I used to feel exactly like this as well and I think most people do. I think almost everyone goes into the app process thinking barely any of their apps will work out and then when you do get to the AC stage the panic sets in because you feel like you either don't know where to start or if you do know where to start it's stressful because it can feel like you're starting from zero all over again. Please don't feel like you are alone in feeling like you are unprepared. Everyone feels like this and in fact I was literally just talking to a close friend who is still going through the process about how she feels the same thing!

The best way to approach ACs would be to systematically break down the different components of the AC. Typically most ACs involve a case study, a partner interview and a group exercise of some kind (sometimes a negotiation, sometimes a discussion)

@Jacob Miller has written some of the most fantastic resources out there on most of these AC elements and I'd recommend starting there.

In terms of commercial/legal knowledge, law firms definitely don't expect you to be a legal genius or know every intricate detail. Some great advice a friend once gave me was that no law firm would hire someone who is an expert in these things for an entry level role in which the whole point is to train you! Firms just want to see that you have a clear interest in the commercial world, the ability to develop an opinion on issues, and that you are able to logically work through problems. To help you understand basic commercial concepts I'd really recommend Jake Schogger's Commercial Law Handbook, TCLA's own Commercial Booklets and the M&A Course on TCLA as well (the latter is especially helpful because a majority of law firm case studies tend to involve an M&A transaction) Other than that there are some great podcasts you can listen to (linked to a thread on this here), to help you keep up to date on news stories.

Also don't forget that AC invites are extremely difficult to secure and you only make it that far because 1. You've already demonstrated some of the most important qualities they are looking for (including the commercial knowledge) and 2. The firms genuinely want to understand your motivations better. It's all about selling your experiences and the great thing about that is all you have to do is talk about yourself in the best way possible!
    Thank you so much, Dheepa! This makes me feel a bit better because at least I now know what I don't know!

• Love
    Reactions: Dheepa

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    How do i answer what's the least enjoyable thing about commercial law without sounding like I dislike the role in general?

This is a tough one. I'd probably focus on some of the more generally known/agreed upon downsides (proofreading hundred page documents, the hours etc.) and after explaining why I wouldn't enjoy them perhaps include why I'd still be attracted to the career regardless.

For example, if I said the hours are the least enjoyable thing, I'd explain that ideally no one would need to work past regular office hours but what would keep me going in those situations is the knowledge that those hours are required for the kind of cross-border (cross time zone!), complex work I want to be apart of. That and the knowledge that I'd be surrounded by my team whose company would make the hours far more enjoyable or bearable at the very least!

Last edited:
    Reactions: Bugsy Malone

LegalUser

Standard Member
  • Dec 8, 2020
    This is a really interesting one.

The general advice I've seen is to always make these answers sound like a positive - you could perhaps talk about the amount time that lawyers still need to spend on process-based work such as due-diligence, proofreading, and admin; this means less time is spent on interesting tasks such as providing sound, legal judgement. However, you could then add that AI is slowly changing the legal landscape so that these situations are a problem of the past.

I think something like this brings in your commercial awareness and shows you understand what limitations lawyers face.

Good luck!

Reactions: _mxrkyyy and Dheepa
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.