2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ricky

Legendary Member
2020 Community Winner
Sep 16, 2018
I'm considering talking about GameStop and its stocks if I'm asked about a commercial story at my interview - has anyone got any thoughts on the implications of it / how law firms might be relevant?
If law firms have hedge funds as clients it needs to advise them to be wise on their short-selling positions.....

Ricky

Legendary Member
2020 Community Winner
Sep 16, 2018
I submitted it really late too! We can only hope not! :(
I submitted on the deadline last year (after reaching the final of the Aspiring Solicitors Commercial Awareness Competition - was hoping to secure VS with them through that). I got an email early in March saying that they review on rolling basis, held large number of assessment days and all VS spaces had been filled. However, I did know of some others in the competition who applied the same time as me but managed to get interviewed.

• Wow
Reactions: tc_hopeful

Legal_rawn

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Dec 21, 2019
I'm considering talking about GameStop and its stocks if I'm asked about a commercial story at my interview - has anyone got any thoughts on the implications of it / how law firms might be relevant?
There are actually quite a lot of legal issues. Changes in capital requirements are being brought in by various regulatory departments in the US. Class action lawsuits have been filed by individuals. The questions of legality of stopping trading or selling of specific stocks and the issue of market manipulation both by Reddit individuals (looking at the language they’ve used and whether it can be considered advice or not) and the trading platforms themselves. Personally I think this topic is so interesting and I have lots of thoughts about this but that could be me being a nerdy econ student!

Jooooopp7

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Nov 25, 2019
Bit of a wierd q - but for virtual interviews would it be okay to wear large over the ear headphones (mine are light pink ahah) I don't currently have my usual wired ones which I feel look slightly more professional and I don't own airpods

cryingoverTCs

Legendary Member
  • Mar 1, 2020
    Hey! I’m also interested in this area and have tried linking this to my interests in applications, where necessary. I would try think about some of your extra curricular activities or perhaps work experiences and see if you’ve ever had to incorporate ESG factors into your work? Alternatively, if you have been involved in social justice work or sustainable initiatives then perhaps this could be something to talk about? I think linking ESG to your experiences is entirely personal and dependent on your interests, so I think talking about the webinar you attended is a good approach - was there something in particular that stood out to you? You could try draw some links here with the firm you are applying to. Hope this helps in some way and apologies for the long message!
    thank you! I haven't really had much time to be involved in something like that, as this is a relatively new interest of mine, but I'll get to thinking!

Reactions: NK

Ricky

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Sep 16, 2018
    Bit of a wierd q - but for virtual interviews would it be okay to wear large over the ear headphones (mine are light pink ahah) I don't currently have my usual wired ones which I feel look slightly more professional and I don't own airpods
    People have been wearing all sorts of weird and wonderful headsets. Don't worry :)

Reactions: cmaj

Jot Soor

Jan 11, 2021
    OMFG - now a Morgan Lewis phone interview in 2 days?!?!?!
    Season 8 Wtf GIF by The Office
    Congratulations! Could I ask when you applied please?

Reactions: Hugh Jarse
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.