2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

PositiveVibesOnly

Star Member
Future Trainee
  • Feb 11, 2021
    Haha I'm going to sound like a huuuuge nerd but I'm genuinely really enjoying it and find the subject massively interesting! Doesn't feel super daunting because I really enjoy it.
    Haha don’t worry I enjoyed mine too - was about clutter on the trade mark register and how I thought Coca Cola having itself registered for walking sticks wasn’t entirely necessary for competition and trade, and about brand value and how most words which would make memorable brands are already taken. You have to be a bit nerdy about it to do well! Good luck with yours - I’m sure you’ll smash it!

• 🏆
    • ℹ️
    Reactions: pleasecanwegetjobs and Jacob Miller

Polyglot

Star Member
    Jan 24, 2021
    As someone who is impatient to get a job too, something you should consider is just applying for 2023 TCs and just asking if they will let you start sooner. I was speaking to a recruiter at interview about this recently and apparently it's not uncommon for one or two trainees every cycle to want to defer their TC for a year after receiving it.

But ultimately, it depends on the firm. The worst thing they can do is say no and you have to paralegal for a bit. Could be a good opportunity to experience a different practice area anyway.
    This is very much my approach too. I’m hoping once things open up again people will want to go on gap years before entering the old corporate hamster wheel.

Kennedys is also recruiting for the 2022 TC.

ilovetheDLR

Star Member
  • Feb 10, 2021
    Just got a video interview invite from Willkie! If anyone who has done one could offer any tips/advice, that would be much appreciated :)
    My advice would firstly be to read your app answers again and prepare for the usual questions. Secondly, I'd say really think about how law firms work as businesses - how can they differentiate themselves? what matters most to clients? etc.

• 🏆
    Reactions: W and FM302989

FM302989

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Oct 16, 2020
    OMG I love corporate insolvency I am doing it now best thing about company law and law school just saying.

Is an insolvent company something a person can 'love'? 😂😂

I'm sure a client will be thrilled when their lawyer is jumping for joy their business is getting liquidated!

I kid! I've not personally worked with any insolvencies, well yet anyway, but it seems like a good problem solving area. Most of my work so far has been on starting a company, investment and M&A. So the nice stuff

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    Is an insolvent company something a person can 'love'? 😂😂

I'm sure a client will be thrilled when their lawyer is jumping for joy their business is getting liquidated!

I kid! I've not personally worked with any insolvencies, well yet anyway, but it seems like a good problem solving area. Most of my work so far has been on starting a company, investment and M&A. So the nice stuff

No I mean obv no client wants to be in that position. I mean its an area of law that interests me and would want to practise in maybe.

Reactions: FM302989 and ilovetheDLR

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    I agree tbf its probably one of the few law school modules that is quite practical - are you interested in creditor side or are you a nice person? 😂

Obv, not creditor side as I am interested in suing the creditor. But don't law firms represent the creditor because it is a corporate lawyer.

Jony

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Oct 19, 2020
    Going into another post-season Friday being like

nbc s2 GIF by Brooklyn Nine-Nine

Hoping there'll be some emails today in your inboxes! I'm waiting for Mofo, Shearman and Ropes 😃

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.