2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

I.Like.UFOs.Not.PFOs

Esteemed Member
Jan 6, 2021
Don’t worry took me a while. Although can’t work out how to turn it off 😬
I can’t turn it off either- Is this a part of that update to TCLA from a while ago?

I wonder if we’ll get Easter eggs, pumpkins and Christmas trees floating on our screens when the time comes

Excited Full House GIF

JayC

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Junior Lawyer
Jan 8, 2021
I was looking at one of my applications that I sent off last month and saw a grammar error. I dunno if it is the system or I did it by accident. I accidentally might have well I didn't leave a space between 2 words and stated Iwill. What do you lot think should I be worried about that grammar error. I mean will this be a straight rejection.
Was it cvMail? It does this all the time it is so annoying

Reactions: Asil Ahmad
D

Deleted member 8599

So by using leverage a PE firm can spread the equity they have into multiple investments. For example, instead of investing in one company for 100m and realising 300m in profit, the firm can use 25m of equity plus 75m of debt and spread their 100m and invest in 4 companies. This means that their profit will be higher (hypothetically let's say 4x higher at 1200m). The only thing they have detracting from their profit is interest on any debt, which will be lower than the extra profit they can make.

Also, if interest rates are low, debt can be cheaper and by investing less equity, if the company becomes insolvent, the PE firm is losing less of its own capital than if it had invested all of its equity in that company.
It’s the second part of your answer that is the most important: the cost of capital of debt is cheaper than equity.

Reactions: packhorse

Dheepa

Legendary Member
Staff member
Future Trainee
TCLA Moderator
Premium Member
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    Hi all, I have an interview for a VS but after reading over my application, I have realised my phone number is incorrect by one digit.

It is really stressing me out. I can't stop thinking that as soon as I mention it, that's my chance of securing the VS out the window... why would they give someone a VS if their attention to detail is so poor they can't enter their own phone number correctly???

What would any of you advise me do? The only contact details I have with the firm is the HR partner who is conducting my interview :(

I was looking at one of my applications that I sent off last month and saw a grammar error. I dunno if it is the system or I did it by accident. I accidentally might have well I didn't leave a space between 2 words and stated Iwill. What do you lot think should I be worried about that grammar error. I mean will this be a straight rejection.

So funny story but I spelt my literal name wrongly on the application that got me a VS in my first cycle. Since it was an in person VS, the name tags that GR had made for us and the agenda that had all the candidates names on it all had my wrongly spelt name on it, because I myself didn't realise the error until the first day of the VS. Mortifying when I let GR know but they just laughed. Trust me when I say that a missed out number on an application form isn't going to make any difference to the outcome of your application, not just because GR won't notice it, but because people make worst mistakes (like me) and get by all the time!

Also @Asil Ahmad, I've had successful apps that have had one small grammar error or two myself. I think Jess also says very often that most of the trainees she's recruited have had mistakes on their apps as well. As Jacob as said, there is no guarantee but if your overall app is really strong, I don't think it'd be a straight rejection. Don't lose hope just yet!

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    Can I just say a special thanks to @Dheepa for giving very comprehensive interview advice when I did not know where to start and @Jacob Miller for his excellent article on interviews, I feel like I was able to use the advice in my interview prep (particularly focusing on breaking down the A within STAR to show my thought process and go into detail and the useful advice of using bullet points to prep my answer rather than having a script!!!) I feel much more prepared for my interview now!
    jimmy fallon television GIF

This has actually just made my day! I'm so happy you find the advice helpful! Sending you all the luck for your interview, really hope it goes well! 💓

• Love
    Reactions: ZaraB and Adrian_S

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    Could someone explain how the use of leverage increases the profit for a PE firm?

So by using leverage a PE firm can spread the equity they have into multiple investments. For example, instead of investing in one company for 100m and realising 300m in profit, the firm can use 25m of equity plus 75m of debt and spread their 100m and invest in 4 companies. This means that their profit will be higher (hypothetically let's say 4x higher at 1200m). The only thing they have detracting from their profit is interest on any debt, which will be lower than the extra profit they can make.

Also, if interest rates are low, debt can be cheaper and by investing less equity, if the company becomes insolvent, the PE firm is losing less of its own capital than if it had invested all of its equity in that company.

Really great simplified explanation, just to re-iterate what someone else has already said a huge part of the reason PE firms can make such a huge profit is because of the extremely low cost of debt (so the sum you can expect to detract from the profit is low to begin with)

Reactions: packhorse
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.