2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ophelia K

Star Member
Feb 5, 2021
Guys im a bit confused - does anyone know what a blank status means on CVmail? Some previously unsuccessful apps + successful apps all have a blank status on mine as well as some current ones? However, someone else on here noted they had 'in inbox' status?? Anyone know anything?
No idea what it means, but if it makes you feel better all my CVmail apps have a blank status

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    Does anyone have any advice for AC/partner interviews/presentations in general? I have my first one and I really don't know what to expect!! Thank you!!!
    Hi, I'd probably consult (if you haven't already) a few recent articles I've written which cover elements of all the issues you raise:

Hope these help! Feel free to follow up with any other questions on the threads :)

Dwight

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Dec 21, 2019
    Hi Folks,

Anyone who has went through the NRF process, how long do they take to get back to you after the WG test and phone interview. How quick is the process in general. Btw, I am referring to the summer VS if it helps. Would really appreciate an insight!

E.A

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer
    Dec 11, 2019
    Hi Folks,

Anyone who has went through the NRF process, how long do they take to get back to you after the WG test and phone interview. How quick is the process in general. Btw, I am referring to the summer VS if it helps. Would really appreciate an insight!
    I don't get the NRF process either. They said they will come back to us within 2 weeks (in January!) and people got WG invites or PFOs already, I got ghosted and they don't reply to emails either 🥴

Legally brown

Distinguished Member
    Dec 6, 2020
    hi guys,

I can sympathise with many of you who feel unmotivated, deflated and just fed up. I too have just spent the whole day in bed crying and worrying about my future. But we all need to remember that things happen for a reason!! This application cycle has taught us all so much. We have found a community that shares their success stories and rejections and we support each other in various ways. We have also learnt a lot about ourselves. If some of us don't get a vacation scheme, this is not the end of our careers!! We have learned our weaknesses and we can only improve from here on.

I know this is a really long msg lol sorry, but I really do hope you keep your head up high and keep going.

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Just had my final interview for the firm that shall not be named (rhymes with birkband) and safe to say it was a car crash.... I will not be getting that VS but happy to help others who have it coming up :)
    Damn I’m sorry to hear that. Either way, well done for getting to to the final interview. As much as it won’t feel this way - each time you are becoming a stronger and stronger candidate.

Cho

Aug 8, 2020
    Hi Folks,

I applied to spring VS on Nov 3. Completed WG on 28 Dec (I was invited around 20 ish). Got rejected on 30 Dec.
    Hope this helps.

PositiveVibesOnly

Star Member
    Future Trainee
  • Feb 11, 2021
    Hi Folks,

Last year for winter scheme the time period was
    - WG completed and had a telephone interview offer 2 days later
    - telephone interview was 3 days after the email about a telephone interview
    - offer for assessment centre 3 days after telephone interview

Reactions: Dwight

Soccerox73

Star Member
    Sep 24, 2020
    hi guys,

I can sympathise with many of you who feel unmotivated, deflated and just fed up. I too have just spent the whole day in bed crying and worrying about my future. But we all need to remember that things happen for a reason!! This application cycle has taught us all so much. We have found a community that shares their success stories and rejections and we support each other in various ways. We have also learnt a lot about ourselves. If some of us don't get a vacation scheme, this is not the end of our careers!! We have learned our weaknesses and we can only improve from here on.

I know this is a really long msg lol sorry, but I really do hope you keep your head up high and keep going.
    I agree. Every rejection is a lesson, and while we mostly see the highlights of successful outcomes/offers on our LinkedIn/social newsfeeds, I think that the strength to pick up and keep going after every rejection, every automated email that starts with "we regret to inform you" and ends with "competition has been particularly strong this year", should be equally applauded!

It's a brutal character building process and we should pat ourselves on the back for the strength and resilience we're building every single day. :)

ab1147

Esteemed Member
    Jan 21, 2021
    Hello! I am applying to a VS and the work experience section has only 75 words limit. Any advice on how should I talk about my work experiences giving the fact that the word limit is so short?Thank you so much!
    I had a successful application form which only had a 50 word limit on each work experience. I did it using bullet points rather than a prose, with 2-3 basic bullet points about the tasks I did, and 1-2 bullet points on the skills I learnt. Hope this helps!

Rob93

Legendary Member
    Dec 29, 2020
    I agree. Every rejection is a lesson, and while we mostly see the highlights of successful outcomes/offers on our LinkedIn/social newsfeeds, I think that the strength to pick up and keep going after every rejection, every automated email that starts with "we regret to inform you" and ends with "competition has been particularly strong this year", should be equally applauded!

It's a brutal character building process and we should pat ourselves on the back for the strength and resilience we're building every single day. :)
    I always am tempted on 'tell us about a time you showed resilience' type questions to break the fourth wall and write in the present tense.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.