2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt_96

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
  • Dec 15, 2018
    Morning guys

Re. Dechert, Travers and Reeds, I think we are going to hear back in April.

Is that an educated guess or did you reach out to them directly?

Also low key, after seeing what that other dude said about the ridiculousness of why he failed the RS commercial question, I feel confident enough to predict that I won't be making it to the AC.

• Sad
    Reactions: JayC and OB

Kola

Legendary Member
    Sep 27, 2020
    Hey guys! So, this has been my first application cycle and for the past 6 months, much like everyone, I have been toiling away. In total:

I have applied to 44 firms.
    I have received approx. 37 rejections.
    I have been invited to 4 ACs.
    I have only 7 applications pending.

BUT. None of that really matters anymore. Kirkland & Ellis just got back to me. I've been offered a training contract after an accelerated VS application. It's hard to describe how giddy I am right now. Just want to thank everyone on this forum. You are all lovely people who have been so wonderful, helpful and supportive. Special shout-outs to people who were kind enough to take the time to respond to private messages. If anyone want's advice that I have found to be useful, I am more than happy to answer any questions - just DM me!

For the nerds like myself who want a more detailed breakdown, I did make an excel sheet of my progress this application cycle. It does a good job of illustrating that no matter how much red you see, there is green at the end of the tunnel! Keep well guys, thanks again :)

1615287297653.png

Last edited:

jan28

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    M&A Bootcamp
    Sep 12, 2019
    Hey guys! So, this has been my first application cycle and for the past 6 months, much like everyone has, I have been toiling away. In total:

I have received approx. 37 rejection.

BUT. None of that really matters anymore. Kirkland & Ellis just got back to me. I've been offered a training contract after an accelerated VS application. It's hard to describe how giddy I am right now. Just want to thank everyone on this forum. You are all lovely people who have been so wonderful, helpful and supportive. Special shout-outs to people who were kind enough to take the time to respond to private messages. If anyone want's advice that I have found to be useful, I am more than happy to answer any questions - just DM me!

For the nerds like myself who want a more detailed breakdown, I did make an excel sheet of my progress this application cycle. It does a good job of illustrating that no matter how much red you see, there is green at the end of the tunnel! Keep well guys, thanks again :)

View attachment 3103
    Wowwww MASSIVE CONGRATULATIONS !!!!!

S87

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 4, 2018
    Is that an educated guess or did you reach out to them directly?

Also low key, after seeing what that other dude said about the ridiculousness of why he failed the RS commercial question, I feel confident enough to predict that I won't be making it to the AC.
    Dechert is slowly going through spring and summer apps. Reeds they informed me that they received a shameful amount of apps and Travers told us! It is a mix between an educated guess and info

M1999

Legendary Member
    Nov 28, 2019
    Hey guys! So, this has been my first application cycle and for the past 6 months, much like everyone has, I have been toiling away. In total:

View attachment 3103
    Wow this is amazing- congratulations! Could I ask you a question? How did you manage to do 44 strong applications? Was there a plan you did to move quickly through the applications- I always spend way too much time on one and overthink it and would love some advice on how to churn out strong applications

Celestie

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    2020 Community Winner
  • Nov 14, 2020
    How is this thread nearly on 800 pages
    Awkward Season 4 GIF by The Office

Emily K

Valued Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Dec 29, 2018

View attachment 3103

This is so so amazing!! Huge congrats and thanks for sharing, this just really shows despite all the rejections it only takes one yes! Hope you're celebrating today!! :)

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018

View attachment 3103

I absolutely love seeing spreadsheets like this - thank you for sharing!

Edit: I completely skipped the fact that you secured a training contract. This is such good news - a huge well done :)

KS94

Esteemed Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Mar 21, 2018

View attachment 3103

Congratulations!

This is how I'd like those who manage to obtain a TC to share it!

Show us your graft, your rejections and ultimately your perseverance - it genuinely gives those who have not yet secured a TC some hope and optimism.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.