2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

collie_121

Esteemed Member
Future Trainee
Sep 30, 2020
Hey! Can anyone offer me some guidance as to the sort of questions I should be asking on a feedback call post-AC with a firm? I got a positive result so I am really keen to prompt for what to build on for the scheme but I am unsure on how to word this. Thanks :)

whoknew

Mar 8, 2021
Congrats haha! So is your AC still for 2022 TC or have they moved you? And did you have to do a video interview or phone interview?
I have no idea when its for hahah

Yeah so I did a video interview in like September and then didn't hear anything till December when I got invited for a January phone interview 😂

Georgina Evans

Valued Member
  • Jul 25, 2019
    The wait to hear back from an assessment centre is killing me... I jump every time I get a phone call or an email notification
    Scared Still Waiting GIF by Looney Tunes

Elle W

Valued Member
    Jan 12, 2021
    ahh okay thanks for letting me know! that's annoying though, would love some closure even if it is a no ahah I might just wait it out :)
    Speak of the devil! They just emailed me and said that the VS is full but were wondering whether I would like to be considered for the Evolve placement year instead

Last edited:
    Reactions: OB
    If you get onto a vacation scheme can we ask grad rec how to try convert this into a TC? Or at least ask them the ratio of conversion rates?
    You can ask grad rec; however, I'm pretty sure they'll give you really generic advice. Furthermore, you can calculate the conversion rates yourself if you really wanted: ( (training contracts issued per cycle - see Legal Cheek) / (no. of people on your scheme) * (no. of schemes per cycle) ) * 100 - assuming that they always recruit from VSs and issue fewer TC offers than take on their VSs.

The thing is if you ask grad recruitment this it isn't particularly helpful and will just make you more stressed. If there is a high conversion rate, then the pressure is on to not be in that 'lower' percentage. If the conversion rate is low, then the pressure is on to deliver above and beyond to guarantee your success. The point is to just do your best, irrespective of the conversion rates, as such rates will have no material bearing on your performance over the scheme, which is what will be the thing that actually counts towards you actually getting that TC!

Regarding tips to convert - I believe TCLA has a thread for this. Grad recruitment will probably say the same things: (1) do good work, (2) do well in your TC conversion interview/AC if you have one, and (3) be likeable. This isn't particularly elucidatory but there is not much they can say! So, I do recommend you check out the thread linked above!

I hope that helps, and look, at the end of the day, you've done fantastically well to get a VS place - now just focus on yourself and what you can do. If you can impress yourself with your performance (in a holistic sense - not just work) over the scheme, then you've done your best, and that's all you can do - and if you have honestly impressed yourself, there is a good chance you've impressed the decision-makers regarding your TC offer!

Last edited by a moderator:

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    If you get onto a vacation scheme can we ask grad rec how to try convert this into a TC? Or at least ask them the ratio of conversion rates?
    They are only going to give you generic advice you can find on this forum.

You can ask them the conversion rate, but they are likely to tell you it varies or that you shouldn’t concern yourself regarding it. I never told my interns (even though it was fairly well known what it roughly was each year) as I didn’t want it to become a competition amongst them - it generally created a bit of a toxic attitude amongst some of the group as they sized each other up.

• ℹ️
    Reactions: Legalmel_99 and Anon08
    Following on from this, is there any way to find out which firms are worth applying to? (i.e. open to direct TC applicants that don't have a vac scheme?)
    Pretty sure most firms that take trainees run VSs, and some run VSs and direct TC applications. I don't know of many City firms that only take direct TC apps with no VS - other than Clifford Chance, but I think they're the exception that proves the rule.

I can only speak for City firms, so in accordance with my scope of experience, I would say that if you are applying for direct TCs, then you'll be applying to firms that do both - VSs and direct TC apps. In that case, although the numbers shouldn't be your first concern (rather, you should apply based on your liking for the firm), try and go for firms that are more amiable to direct TC applications (Allen & Overy, Clifford Chance, etc.). Although please don't be dissuaded from applying to firms with fewer direct TC places - again, your primary focus should be the kind of firm rather than the numbers.

In terms of finding out which firms offer direct TC applications, there are multiple sources:
    1. Lawcareers.net - 'training contract deadlines'
    2. Chambers Student - 'application deadlines'
    3. https://www.thecorporatelawacademy.com/forum/threads/where-firms-recruit-from-direct-tc-vs.2723/
    Please check the information given in these sources against what the respective firms say on their website!

And just a little spur of encouragement for those going through the direct TC route - I know it can be really tough. I have completed two application cycles, with my prior one involving (due to coronavirus) my VSs/First-Year schemes to be postponed and/or morphed into something completely different. For one of my experiences, I submitted my initial application in August/September 2019 before getting a TC offer in December 2020 through a VS conversion (approx. 16 months). I then had a direct TC interview with A&O, submitting my application in September 2020 and receiving the TC offer in January 2021 (approx. 5 months). Things can go by quickly or slowly, and it will vary from candidate to candidate - but however long it takes, it is 'normal', and, I mean this quite sincerely, you are all doing great.

Reactions: Daniel Boden
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.