2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lawstudent1997

Distinguished Member
Mar 2, 2021
Anyone still not heard back from Withers post interview? I emailed 3 weeks ago and they said they were making ‘final decisions’ that week but my interview was 9 weeks ago now :( just feel like if they have a reserve list and I’m on it it would be nice to know or just send me a PFO- the waiting is killing me haha

• Sad
Reactions: LawGrad2019
D

Deleted member 3795

Does anyone know the dates of the summer vac scheme for Shoosmiths? I think in the past they have had a couple of weeks to choose from but not sure if anyone has heard anything for this year?
I was at the insight evening and we were told the summer placement takes place early june.

WRM19

M&A Bootcamp
Aug 11, 2020
Has anyone else not heard from Winckworth Sherwood? I had my interview in early February and still haven't heard. I know a few people have had PFOs and some have had direct TC interviews. I'm not sure whether to email them in case there has been an admin error or to just keep waiting!
Hey! I interviewed with them last year, it was rather disappointing but they’d totally forgotten to give me a response. A good 3 weeks went by before I emailed and they said they thought they’d contacted me - so definitely worth getting in touch with them if you don’t hear!

Reactions: chloe_

Dheepa

Legendary Member
Staff member
Future Trainee
TCLA Moderator
Premium Member
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    Hey everyone. I've been lurking but this is my first post. I'm a non-law student and I have no real law work experience apart from online sherpa/forage schemes. Unfortunately I was not successful in any of my VS applications. Is there any point in applying for direct TCs? If so, could anyone suggest any firms which take a substantial amount of their graduates from direct TC applications, in particular I would like to focus on environmental/energy/real estate.
    You have nothing to lose and everything to gain by applying, so yes there is always a point in applying! Plenty of people secure TCs without legal work experience and the forage schemes are good way to demonstrate your motivation in apps. This thread has a list of firms that recruit heavily from TC. NRF is pretty EMI focused and BCLP are quite strong in real estate - don't know any other firms off the top of my head unfortunately.

Reactions: Jaysen

josemourinho

Star Member
    Feb 19, 2021
    Hi, does anyone know if Forsters give their vac scheme offers via email or telephone? I know they are not going to get back to us until the end of the month (cry) but I think I will be somewhere with bad phone signal that week.

Holly

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Nov 23, 2019
    Hi, does anyone know if Forsters give their vac scheme offers via email or telephone? I know they are not going to get back to us until the end of the month (cry) but I think I will be somewhere with bad phone signal that week.

Sorry, no idea. But I’d have a voicemail set up in case they can’t get through to you by call.

Shannon S

Standard Member
    Apr 1, 2021
    I’ve done 10+ video interviews which have ranged from 1 day to three months 😂. Which firm are you waiting to hear back from?
    That’s a big difference haha. I’m waiting to hear back from Womble Bond Dickinson. I only recently completed the video interview so I’m not expecting a response yet but I just wondered how long it usually takes. Thanks!

Reactions: Rachel H

Kubed

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Winner
    Junior Lawyer 49
  • Nov 25, 2020
    Hi all, I have been asked to select department preferences for an upcoming vacation scheme but there isn't really any guidance on how many. Should I send back a list of what I am genuinely interested in or try to get an even split between transactional/advisory/contentious, bearing in mind that the scheme is only a week long? I'm leaning towards transactional work (understand that this may change with real experience of the work) but don't want to come across as someone who isn't open to exploring other areas.

Last edited:

Alex3107

Star Member
    Future Trainee
  • Jan 28, 2021
    Hi all, I have been asked to select department preferences for an upcoming vacation scheme but there isn't really any guidance on how many. Should I send back a list of what I am genuinely interested in or try to get an even split between transactional/advisory/contentious? I'm leaning towards transactional work (understand that this may change with real experience of the work) but don't want to come across as someone who isn't open to exploring other areas.
    I had to do that quite recently, and I put down what I was interested in so I can see if it's a genuine, long-term, interest. I don't think the firm will or should judge you based on your preferences, but that's just my opinion!

Reactions: Kubed

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi all, I have been asked to select department preferences for an upcoming vacation scheme but there isn't really any guidance on how many. Should I send back a list of what I am genuinely interested in or try to get an even split between transactional/advisory/contentious, bearing in the mind that the scheme is only a week long? I'm leaning towards transactional work (understand that this may change with real experience of the work) but don't want to come across as someone who isn't open to exploring other areas.
    Only put departments down you want to genuinely work in. Don't over think it - no one is find to think you aren't interested in other areas - you are just stating an interest. Up to 3 departments will be fine

Reactions: Kubed
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.