Application Question

Mohanjith

Jul 28, 2018
Hello,

I have recently come across an application question that states "Details and explanation of how you feel you have benefitted from this experience." in the work experience section.

Is it alright to directly state how certain responsibilities in an experience have helped to improve a certain skill?
e.g- ...and as a result, I improved *insert skill.

Is it better to give an explanation of the skill it helped develop or Is it better to "show" law firms than to tell them?
What are your opinions on this?

P.s. - I am directing this question in relation to skills only. I understand that there may be other ways an experience would have benefitted you.

Thanks.

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hello,

I have recently come across an application question that states "Details and explanation of how you feel you have benefitted from this experience." in the work experience section.

Is it alright to directly state how certain responsibilities in an experience have helped to improve a certain skill?
    e.g- ...and as a result, I improved *insert skill.

Is it better to give an explanation of the skill it helped develop or Is it better to "show" law firms than to tell them?
    What are your opinions on this?

P.s. - I am directing this question in relation to skills only. I understand that there may be other ways an experience would have benefitted you.

Thanks.

For this question, it's fine if you want to explain the skills you developed.

But I suggest you try to be more specific than "I improved XYZ skills". Think about what you improved: Was it your ability to handle difficult relationships? How you communicate your ideas in a group setting. How to listen and give feedback to your team members?

Mohanjith

Jul 28, 2018
    For this question, it's fine if you want to explain the skills you developed.

But I suggest you try to be more specific than "I improved XYZ skills". Think about what you improved: Was it your ability to handle difficult relationships? How you communicate your ideas in a group setting. How to listen and give feedback to your team members?

Thank you.
    That was really helpful.

Maymoonah

Aug 30, 2018
    1. I would recommend listing those skills that the firm you have applied to values the most. You can infer this from the firm's capabilities, if they are a global law firm with a lot of overseas business they are looking for someone who is organised and capable of working across different time zones.
    2. Avoid repeating the same set of skills across the application. If the application contains a question that asks you about a specific competency then you might not want to use that in your work experience as well - it is always useful to avoid being repetitive.
    3. Provide clear details on how the work that you have done has benefitted you. Did you do that task for the first time? Did you make a mistake and learn from it?

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.