'Areas of law you are interested in' question

Camilla Gionso

Distinguished Member
Commercial Writer
Sep 29, 2018
Hi everyone,

I am completing an open day application, and one of the questions asks me to provide the areas of law I am interested in learning about and why. Would it be better to mention some areas of law where the firm is particularly strong in, or honestly answering the question without particularly tying it to the firm would be okay too?

bronson

Distinguished Member
Nov 23, 2018
Hi everyone,

I am completing an open day application, and one of the questions asks me to provide the areas of law I am interested in learning about and why. Would it be better to mention some areas of law where the firm is particularly strong in, or honestly answering the question without particularly tying it to the firm would be okay too?

In my opinion it would be better to tie it to an area of law that the firm practices in because it shows that you have an interest in what they do. Note this does not have to be something they are necessarily strong in. Because it is an open day I do not think they would be expecting everyone applying to be interested in their main practice areas. That being said I think if you wrote this to a firm that had absolutely no focus on the area of law you were writing about, they might prefer to invite someone to an open day that did have an interest in one of their areas.

Reactions: Camilla Gionso and Salma

Camilla Gionso

Distinguished Member
Commercial Writer
Sep 29, 2018
In my opinion it would be better to tie it to an area of law that the firm practices in because it shows that you have an interest in what they do. Note this does not have to be something they are necessarily strong in. Because it is an open day I do not think they would be expecting everyone applying to be interested in their main practice areas. That being said I think if you wrote this to a firm that had absolutely no focus on the area of law you were writing about, they might prefer to invite someone to an open day that did have an interest in one of their areas.
Thanks! Makes sense

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.