Ashurst 2020/2021

XARA

Esteemed Member
Jul 27, 2020
Was wondering whether anyone knows what are “good” scores in relation to the online assessments for Ashurst? I know that results are emailed after the assessment is taken and was just wondering what past successful results have been! Thanks a lot!!

saz a

Star Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
Jun 29, 2020
Hey All! I just wanted to ask- is it okay if your word count for the cover letter is under the 1000 words- mine is (750 words) at the moment.

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
Hey All! I just wanted to ask- is it okay if your word count for the cover letter is under the 1000 words- mine is (750 words) at the moment.
I think you are fine to go beneath the word count but just be mindful that if it is a fair bit below the word count they may wonder why as it is an opportunity for you tell them what makes you great. Just be sure you have definitely covered everything well :)

Staples

Legendary Member
  • Sep 11, 2020
    Was wondering whether anyone knows what are “good” scores in relation to the online assessments for Ashurst? I know that results are emailed after the assessment is taken and was just wondering what past successful results have been! Thanks a lot!!

Also curious about this! Anyone?

Souryaditya01

Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Sep 30, 2020
    Hi! Since its a 1000 word limit, could the 'why law" element also be included in the beginning of the cover letter? Maybe 150 words- which will act as a prelude to the why commercial law paragraph.

XARA

Esteemed Member
    Jul 27, 2020
    Hi, I was wondering if anyone who has done Ashurst's test could answer my question as to whether I would be better completing them on my laptop or using my mobile phone?
    I would recommend laptop since it is a bigger screen and easier to see what is going on! I think you have to make sure you have a mouse also but not 100% sure on that.

Staples

Legendary Member
  • Sep 11, 2020
    Hi, I was wondering if anyone who has done Ashurst's test could answer my question as to whether I would be better completing them on my laptop or using my mobile phone?
    I would recommend laptop since it is a bigger screen and easier to see what is going on! I think you have to make sure you have a mouse also but not 100% sure on that.

I think they explicitly recommend using a laptop (no tablet or mobile phone) on the test website! To be fair they also say “you need an actual mouse, not a trackpad” but I used my laptop’s trackpad (don’t own a mouse) and it worked fine... But yeah I wouldn’t do it on a mobile phone

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi! Since its a 1000 word limit, could the 'why law" element also be included in the beginning of the cover letter? Maybe 150 words- which will act as a prelude to the why commercial law paragraph.

If that works for you and you think it is needed, I am sure that is fine.

Reactions: Karin

Adam Gilchrist

Esteemed Member
    Future Trainee
    2020 Community Winner
    Highest Rated Member
    May 4, 2020
    Rule of thumb: never do any tech task/activity (unless it is specifically designed for mobiles) on a mobile phone if you have the choice of a laptop/iPad instead. Quite apart from there being more screen space on a laptop, often websites/embedded videos/tasks may not work properly on a mobile phone, or will be an extra level of faff for you to deal with. Tests are stressful enough as they are, no point making them more complicated than they need to be.

Reactions: Staples

NikkiT

Legendary Member
    Oct 2, 2020
    Does anyone have any advice on where to find out more info about Ashurst (culture/what differentiates it from other firms/practice areas/the vac scheme/clients etc.) other than the website (and Legal Cheek, Chambers Student etc)? I can't seem to find a graduate brochure or many sources from the firm itself!

gricole

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Jul 6, 2018
    I'm applying for the Winter VS but I have an upcoming virtual event with Ashurst that is on the 26th October. Should I mention that I will be going in my application?

Blue cacti

Star Member
    Future Trainee
    Junior Lawyer
    Mar 18, 2020
    Does anyone have any advice on where to find out more info about Ashurst (culture/what differentiates it from other firms/practice areas/the vac scheme/clients etc.) other than the website (and Legal Cheek, Chambers Student etc)? I can't seem to find a graduate brochure or many sources from the firm itself!
    I reached out to a couple of future trainees at Ashurst and had a chat with them about their experiences on vac schemes etc and what made them accept their offer. I felt I was able to give genuine answers in my application/interview based on these conversations and it showed I had gone the extra mile (I caveat this by saying do not name drop for the sake of it). Besides this, the Annual Report is always an invaluable resource when researching a firm, particularly in relation to their business strategy/future aims/which areas performed strongly in the previous financial year.

good luck!

• 🤝
    Reactions: NikkiT, gricole and Jaysen

Karin

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Junior Lawyer
  • Aug 25, 2019
    I got through to the AC last year and wrote 875 words, so I don't think you need to use all of the words, but if you are not using them, make sure you explain all your points clearly and sufficiently :)

NikkiT

Legendary Member
    Oct 2, 2020
    How has everyone gone about structuring the 'What qualities does a successful lawyer of the future require?' question? Surely, you should somehow demonstrate you have these skills rather than just list them.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.