Ashurst 2020/2021

Kelly_

Distinguished Member
Nov 9, 2020
Hi! I'm currently getting started on the 1000 word cover letter and was just wondering how to structure the paragraph which gives you the opportunity to talk about yourself, should I just discuss interests, activities and hobbies here? Would it also be advised that I try to link these back to Ashurst somehow?

Dheepa

Legendary Member
Staff member
Future Trainee
TCLA Moderator
Premium Member
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    Hi! I'm currently getting started on the 1000 word cover letter and was just wondering how to structure the paragraph which gives you the opportunity to talk about yourself, should I just discuss interests, activities and hobbies here? Would it also be advised that I try to link these back to Ashurst somehow?

Hi Kelly,

Yes within the cover letter itself I would just focus on some of your main interests/extra-curriculars and draw out some of the key skills you have gained from them. I don't think it's at all necessary to link these back to Ashurst.

• 🤝
    Reactions: Kelly_

Lily721

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Oct 7, 2020
    For the How is the legal landscape changing and what are the challenges facing Ashurst? question, do you have to state how the legal landscape is changing and then link to how this can create challenges for Ashurst, or can you just state how the legal landscape is changing and then just talk about what challenges Ashurst is facing? I feel like it makes more sense to link both parts of the question, but for one of my points about the legal landscape I don't know that it can pose particular challenges for the firm.

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    For the How is the legal landscape changing and what are the challenges facing Ashurst? question, do you have to state how the legal landscape is changing and then link to how this can create challenges for Ashurst, or can you just state how the legal landscape is changing and then just talk about what challenges Ashurst is facing? I feel like it makes more sense to link both parts of the question, but for one of my points about the legal landscape I don't know that it can pose particular challenges for the firm.

I think the question does want you to link the two parts together. What are your thoughts for the final point you're struggling to link? Would be happy to help you bounce some ideas around.

Kelly_

Distinguished Member
    Nov 9, 2020
    The Ashurst cognify assessment was actually the worst thing I've ever done, can't wait to get that rejection.
    Give Up Reaction GIF

whisperingrock

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
  • Sep 12, 2020
    The Ashurst cognify assessment was actually the worst thing I've ever done, can't wait to get that rejection.
    Give Up Reaction GIF
    You might be surprised! I almost rage quit the assessment because I was frustrated and ended up getting a really high result in the end. The questions are made so you can't really finish all of them well in the time given.

• 🤝
    Reactions: Kelly_

TR17

Star Member
    Jul 3, 2020
    Hi guys. I’m working on my Ashurst application and I am conscious that the deadline is tomorrow. With the tests that you have to do, are they sent straight away after submitting, and does anyone know if they have to be done by the application deadline tomorrow too?

lisa0410

Feb 6, 2020
    Hi guys. I’m working on my Ashurst application and I am conscious that the deadline is tomorrow. With the tests that you have to do, are they sent straight away after submitting, and does anyone know if they have to be done by the application deadline tomorrow too?

I received my test invite the day I applied and they don't need to be done before the deadline! You have 7 days from the day they send you the tests

Lily721

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Oct 7, 2020
    I think the question does want you to link the two parts together. What are your thoughts for the final point you're struggling to link? Would be happy to help you bounce some ideas around.
    I am making a point how the SQE will be changing the legal landscape. But then don’t know how that would pose challenges for Ashurst to face.

Lily721

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Oct 7, 2020
    I am so stupid!! I completely forgot the deadline is tomorrow, keep thinking it is the 31st!! if not for your post, I would have missed the deadline 🤦🏼‍♀️🤦🏼‍♀️

TR17

Star Member
    Jul 3, 2020
    I am so stupid!! I completely forgot the deadline is tomorrow, keep thinking it is the 31st!! if not for your post, I would have missed the deadline 🤦🏼‍♀️🤦🏼‍♀️
    You’re not stupid! All these deadlines seem to merge together in my head too 😂 hope you don’t have a lot left to do. I’m on my last question and I’m at that stage where I just want to be done with it 😂😭

Arron1818

Jan 28, 2021
    Hi guys, for the question regarding skills - when linking them back to myself I normally do that by using examples of previous experience but I have already mentioned those examples in the cover letter. Is it okay to repeat them here?

eveh1784

Star Member
    Jan 21, 2020
    Hi guys, for the question regarding skills - when linking them back to myself I normally do that by using examples of previous experience but I have already mentioned those examples in the cover letter. Is it okay to repeat them here?
    Which question is that? Sorry I may be being daft - but if you’re referring to the last q I wouldn’t really reference personal skills. It’s more asking for generally what will make a good lawyer of the future.

whisperingrock

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
  • Sep 12, 2020
    Hi! I have an AC with Ashurst soon (first-year scheme) and was just wondering how the written exercise took place virtually?
    Did you write the content on google docs or word and send it to them or did Ashurst have their own software?

Thank you!
    When I did the AC, we downloaded the files off of the testing platform Ashurst used to host the whole thing. Then worked on the written exercise in Word while still on camera with grad rec and sent it back to them after.

Reactions: SHAKO

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.