Ashurst TC interview!

Abstruser

Legendary Member
Trainee
Jul 19, 2018
Just got invited to a TC interview with Ashurst!

However, the invite mentioned that because Ashurst has received so many applications this year, the HR interview will take place as a telephone interview - essentially adding another layer to the application process I guess. Does anyone have any tips for the HR interview at Ashurst?

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018

However, the invite mentioned that because Ashurst has received so many applications this year, the HR interview will take place as a telephone interview - essentially adding another layer to the application process I guess. Does anyone have any tips for the HR interview at Ashurst?

Well done! Mine was for a vac scheme and a while back but just in case it helps -

Mine was competency-based and felt very structured. I'd say know your application inside out and practice as many competency variations as you can. I'd also suggest (if you don't already) making sure you take a second to listen to how the question is phrased and respond accordingly. One of the reasons for my rejection was because I rushed too answer questions too quickly, which meant my answers were not the most relevant.

My general advice would also be to practice the telephone interview format. There's definitely an additional challenge in not having the benefit of a person opposite you e.g. not being able to gesture or see the interviewer's expression.

Reactions: Abstruser

Abstruser

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Jul 19, 2018
    Well done! Mine was for a vac scheme and a while back but just in case it helps -

Mine was competency-based and felt very structured. I'd say know your application inside out and practice as many competency variations as you can. I'd also suggest (if you don't already) making sure you take a second to listen to how the question is phrased and respond accordingly. One of the reasons for my rejection was because I rushed too answer questions too quickly, which meant my answers were not the most relevant.

My general advice would also be to practice the telephone interview format. There's definitely an additional challenge in not having the benefit of a person opposite you e.g. not being able to gesture or see the interviewer's expression.

Thanks Jaysen! I am definitely apprehensive about the telephone interview aspect. I'll be sure to practice as best I can!

Nat

Star Member
    Sep 8, 2018

Well done! Could I ask you when you submitted your application? I am waiting to hear back from them. Thank you!

Esteemed Member
    Dec 15, 2018

Hi congratulations! have you had your interview?

Abstruser

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Jul 19, 2018
    Congratulations! What was the process like?

Thank you!

It was a simple interview - I was asked about my educational background (I attended international boarding school for 10 years), asked to walk them through my history of work experience, why Law, why Ashurst, and a question on teamwork.

I was invited to AC within two days.

Good luck!

anaisindia

Dec 30, 2018
    Amazing congratulations! I got an email a couple of days ago inviting me for a telephone interview for the TC (I applied early December) but haven't heard back/had a confirmation of the date/time since. Good luck for the AC!!

Abstruser

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Jul 19, 2018
    Amazing congratulations! I got an email a couple of days ago inviting me for a telephone interview for the TC (I applied early December) but haven't heard back/had a confirmation of the date/time since. Good luck for the AC!!

Yes, I think the HR team at Ashurst is a little stretched so it takes a few days for them to get back to you about precise dates, both at telephone stage and final interview.

The AC went very well, thank you. Good luck with the rest of the process!

Reactions: Daniel Boden

Catherine

Distinguished Member
    Nov 28, 2018
    Yes, I think the HR team at Ashurst is a little stretched so it takes a few days for them to get back to you about precise dates, both at telephone stage and final interview.

The AC went very well, thank you. Good luck with the rest of the process!

Hi, glad your AC went well! I have a telephone interview with Ashurst Grad Recruitment this week for TC!

Is this first interview mostly competency based? Or is it worth knowing some legal issues/challenges for firms etc ….

Were there any unexpected questions which you found hard? The email also states that you will be given a scenario based question, and I'm not really sure how to prepare for that or even structure an answer!

Any help would be v appreciated!

Abstruser

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Jul 19, 2018
    Hi, glad your AC went well! I have a telephone interview with Ashurst Grad Recruitment this week for TC!

Is this first interview mostly competency based? Or is it worth knowing some legal issues/challenges for firms etc ….

Were there any unexpected questions which you found hard? The email also states that you will be given a scenario based question, and I'm not really sure how to prepare for that or even structure an answer!

Any help would be v appreciated!

Hey there,

I wasn’t asked any commercial questions, and I was asked one competency question on teamwork alongside standard motivational questions. There are other threads on how to prepare for phone interviews more generally, other than that I would say just be very sure on your motivations for applying to the firm, and for pursuing a legal career more generally.

As I mentioned above, my interview went as follows:

Thank you!

It was a simple interview - I was asked about my educational background (I attended international boarding school for 10 years), asked to walk them through my history of work experience, why Law, why Ashurst, and a question on teamwork.

I was invited to AC within two days.

Good luck!

Last edited:

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.