Ask A Graduate Recruiter Anything!

Helena

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Feb 28, 2018
Hi Jessica
Not sure if you saw my question which may have got lost among others. Forgive the repetition.

If you get a VS offer, what is your advice on adding this in the supplementary information section of submitted applications to other firms? Is it something you should do?

Thank you

Olivia99

Star Member
Dec 10, 2019
Hi Jessica,

Just looking for some advice. I have been lucky enough to be offered two vac schemes but the dates sadly clash. I know these are the only dates they run. Was wondering how to go about declining one? I’ve found it hard to pick between both firms. Do I just apologise and say there is a clash or is it possible to be transferred straight to the TC application? Thanks :)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica
Not sure if you saw my question which may have got lost among others. Forgive the repetition.

If you get a VS offer, what is your advice on adding this in the supplementary information section of submitted applications to other firms? Is it something you should do?

Thank you

no - I wouldn’t ask for it to be added to a submitted form. Nor because of what it is, but because there would then be an endless list of things people would want added to forms

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica,

Just looking for some advice. I have been lucky enough to be offered two vac schemes but the dates sadly clash. I know these are the only dates they run. Was wondering how to go about declining one? I’ve found it hard to pick between both firms. Do I just apologise and say there is a clash or is it possible to be transferred straight to the TC application? Thanks :)

They aren’t mutually exclusive - do both.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Thank you. Is there ever any advantage in another firm knowing you have a VS?

depends on the VS.

there’s disadvantages too though.

Unless you can update the app yourself, don’t ask for the app to be updated by someone else or for additional information to be added to it/considered.

Reactions: Helena

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Could you elaborate on the possible disadvantages please?

Firms will wonder if they are your second best option (or worse)

They could question your motives or cultural fit if the firm is very different

The firm might recognise they can't compete with the other firm (eg trainee salary or location)

the firm will know there is a stronger chance or you declining an offer if you have other vac schemes lined up

Reactions: Ratish S

Flk10

Star Member
Jan 18, 2020
Hi Jess,

I've got a bit of a dilemma- I've been offered two VSs. The dates don't clash but one of the firms has a 'networking day' a few weeks after the scheme itself as part of the TC application process.

My issue is that this day clashes with my other VS. You have to state that you are free to attend the event as part of the VS acceptance form.

Ideally I would rather do both VSs, but given that the second firm is my first choice, do I really have any other option than to turn down the first scheme?

Thanks

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jess,

I've got a bit of a dilemma- I've been offered two VSs. The dates don't clash but one of the firms has a 'networking day' a few weeks after the scheme itself as part of the TC application process.

My issue is that this day clashes with my other VS. You have to state that you are free to attend the event as part of the VS acceptance form.

Ideally I would rather do both VSs, but given that the second firm is my first choice, do I really have any other option than to turn down the first scheme?

Thanks

Have they said that by not attending the networking day, your offer is compromised?

Flk10

Star Member
Jan 18, 2020
Have they said that by not attending the networking day, your offer is compromised?
This is the wording they used in the offer email

"For candidates who are successful following the vacation scheme, we will be holding a final networking day... As part of your acceptance, please could you also confirm that you would be available to attend the event if invited?"

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
This is the wording they used in the offer email

"For candidates who are successful following the vacation scheme, we will be holding a final networking day... As part of your acceptance, please could you also confirm that you would be available to attend the event if invited?"

The offer isn't subject to you attending, so just say you can't attend. It only says "if you are successful following the vacation scheme", so its only going to be for people who get TC offers post vac scheme.

I wouldn't give up another vacation scheme just because I couldn't attend a keep-warm event, that isn't even a certainty.

Helena

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Feb 28, 2018
Firms will wonder if they are your second best option (or worse)

They could question your motives or cultural fit if the firm is very different

The firm might recognise they can't compete with the other firm (eg trainee salary or location)

the firm will know there is a stronger chance or you declining an offer if you have other vac schemes lined up

If all other apps are for direct TCs does this stance change?

Changes

Legendary Member
Jan 7, 2020
HI Jess, Just completed the online tests for a VS and the test froze midway through which led to me skipping through 2 questions when it suddenly continued (there was no option to go back once the question was completed). Is it worth an email to their support team/HR?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
HI Jess, Just completed the online tests for a VS and the test froze midway through which led to me skipping through 2 questions when it suddenly continued (there was no option to go back once the question was completed). Is it worth an email to their support team/HR?

Yes - email both the HR team and the support team. It is possible the support team will only reset with approval from the HR team (depends on what they can see from their end).

Reactions: Changes

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
REMINDER

For the benefit of everyone in the forums, please can you take the following approach:

1) Most questions should be posted on the forums - feel free to tag me into threads if you want me to respond to them. Private messages should be limited to questions around personal circumstances. Any question that someone else could benefit from seeing an answer to, should be posted in the forums.

2) Please be specific in your questions as possible. The vaguer the question, the vaguer my reply will be.

3) I don't know recruitment processes for each firm, nor individual firm's policies. In relation to the above point, providing more context (e.g. the specific assessments you are expecting to encounter, the type of firm you are talking about) will give me the ability to give more tailored advice.

4) Please don't message me on LinkedIn with queries. The purpose of this forum is for everyone to collectively benefit from the advice provided on here which can't be done if questions are asked on LinkedIn. My LinkedIn is predominately used for my consultancy business for corporate employers or for individual connections I know.

Last edited:
  • 🏆
  • 🤝
Reactions: Jaysen and Daniel Boden

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
In other news, I am feeling exceptionally old today...

Woke up this morning to realise one of my old Trainees is now a Partner in a US firm, another one qualified 5 years ago today, and someone I gave advice to what only seems like yesterday has recently qualified too.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.