Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Used to mean 23.59 on the 5th (suspect it still does now)...

Why does everyone leave their video interviews until the last day?

If I can give everyone one a really practical piece of advice - don't do this.

As soon as you get the request, schedule it into your diary for a day before the deadline, like at least 24 hours before and ideally during a working day.

If you experience any technical issues or have any unexpected circumstances on the day of the deadline, you are often screwed. Yet, if you plan it in advance of the deadline you will be less stressed should any issues come up.

Last edited:
Reactions: NickMcK and Daniel Boden

Changes

Legendary Member
Jan 7, 2020
Why does everyone leave their video interviews until the last day?

If I can give everyone one a really practical piece of advice - don't do this.

As soon as you get the request, schedule it into your diary for a day before the deadline, like at least 24 hours before and ideally during a working day.

If you experience any technical issues or have any unexpected circumstances on the day of the deadline, you are often screwed. Yet, if you plan it in advance of the deadline you will be less stressed should any issues come up.

Good advice! I usually do them at least the day before.

Have had a last minute and important meeting come up at work tomorrow when I was supposed to have the day off. Planning to do it on the 4th but it’s handy to know if I have the 5th as I’ve booked that off and will have the house to myself.

Dheepa

Legendary Member
Staff member
Future Trainee
TCLA Moderator
Premium Member
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    Hi Jessica, if I have two vacs lined up which clash with each other and neither firm are able to move me to different dates in the summer, is it advisable to ask one of them if I could instead be considered for a direct TC?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi Jessica, if I have two vacs lined up which clash with each other and neither firm are able to move me to different dates in the summer, is it advisable to ask one of them if I could instead be considered for a direct TC?

Yes you can ask that (it’s reasonable). Be prepared from them to either say no, or why don’t you contact us after your vac scheme though, or reapply for a TC.

Reactions: Dheepa

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    Yes you can ask that (it’s reasonable). Be prepared from them to either say no, or why don’t you contact us after your vac scheme though, or reapply for a TC.

Would it be advisable to ask the firm who offered me a place later (they gave me an offer last week) to move me rather than the firm that offered me a place on their scheme in early Jan? I've explained the clash to both firms when asking to move me to summer and I don't want to make a bad impression in terms of making it seem like I prefer one firm over the other.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Would it be advisable to ask the firm who offered me a place later (they gave me an offer last week) to move me rather than the firm that offered me a place on their scheme in early Jan? I've explained the clash to both firms when asking to move me to summer and I don't want to make a bad impression in terms of making it seem like I prefer one firm over the other.

Choose the firm you would most want to work for as the one you do your vac scheme with.

Unfortunately it will seem you prefer one over the other (you have to). This is a fairly normal process for most internships/jobs.

JS19

Dec 21, 2018
    Hi Jessica,

I was hoping to get an insight into the vacation scheme/TC conversion selection process. For firms which typically offer TCs to around 30-40% of their VS students are you able to provide an insight into the general criteria and the weightings of those criteria candidates might be evaluated against during the vac scheme e.g enthusiasm, standard of work completed, performance in group exercises etc?

I, of course, understand that criteria will vary from firm to firm, but it would be useful to get a general feel of what grad recruiters might look for/things to do to impress on the scheme; I have friends who have failed to convert and not really known what they could have done differently.

Thanks again for all your help so far!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi Jessica,

I was hoping to get an insight into the vacation scheme/TC conversion selection process. For firms which typically offer TCs to around 30-40% of their VS students are you able to provide an insight into the general criteria and the weightings of those criteria candidates might be evaluated against during the vac scheme e.g enthusiasm, standard of work completed, performance in group exercises etc?

I, of course, understand that criteria will vary from firm to firm, but it would be useful to get a general feel of what grad recruiters might look for/things to do to impress on the scheme; I have friends who have failed to convert and not really known what they could have done differently.

Thanks again for all your help so far!

There isn’t a typical process - each firm will have their own process and own weightings. All the things that matter are all the things you will expect. It’s not a trick nor rocket science.

sometimes you can’t do anything differently. To be frank sometimes, there are just better candidates and limited places available.

Last edited:

NMD

Star Member
    Feb 17, 2019
    Hello! I’ve gotten two vacation schemes which clash in the summer! I really like both firms. One does a direct TC route, how would I phrase an email asking if it would be possible for me to move onto that route? I don’t want it to come off like I am uninterested in the firm as they are both great I would love to be considered for a TC at both. ( the other only recruits through vac scheme) Thank you! Also if it acceptable to ask for a firm’s previous conversion rate of the vac scheme? :)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hello! I’ve gotten two vacation schemes which clash in the summer! I really like both firms. One does a direct TC route, how would I phrase an email asking if it would be possible for me to move onto that route? I don’t want it to come off like I am uninterested in the firm as they are both great I would love to be considered for a TC at both. ( the other only recruits through vac scheme) Thank you! Also if it acceptable to ask for a firm’s previous conversion rate of the vac scheme? :)

This isn’t a trick process nor difficult.

You just need to say you are unable to attend those specific vacation scheme dates and therefore have to unfortunately decline the offer. You then need to enquire if it’s possible to be transferred over to a training contract application and if so, ask for details of what recruitment stages you will need to complete again.

Reactions: Eva and NMD

traineehopeful29

Jul 26, 2019
    I am an international student and got accepted for a Spring Vac Scheme.

I asked the uni for a letter exempting me from the last week of term, but they refused- explaining that this was no longer school policy.

How should I explain this to the law firm and would I be able to ask for it to be transferred to a summer scheme instead?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Its two weeks but the first week falls on the last week of term.

yea, you’ll need to ask to move to a summer scheme or direct training contract application unfortunately.

You just need to say your uni’s policy is not to provide clearance to work in term-time. This is becoming increasingly common due to the governments cut down on students working outside the terms of their student visa.

traineehopeful29

Jul 26, 2019
    Its two weeks but the first week falls on the last week of term.
    yea, you’ll need to ask to move to a summer scheme or direct training contract application unfortunately.

You just need to say your uni’s policy is not to provide clearance to work in term-time. This is becoming increasingly common due to the governments cut down on students working outside the terms of their student visa.

Alright thank you!

ShelleyEds

Sep 19, 2019
    Hi Jessica

I was just hoping for some advice on the best way to start cover letters. A number of firms tell you the name and job title of the person you should address it to; should you use both their name and their job title at the start of your cover letter? I had assumed that you just used their name and the job title information was just so you understood the role of the person you were addressing it to but now I’m wondering if actually you should be setting the cover letter up as if you were sending it separately, with my own name, address and date as well as name, job title and address of firm I’m applying to? Or maybe somewhere in-between the two? Any guidance appreciated! Thank you.

Changes

Legendary Member
    Jan 7, 2020
    Hi Jessica,

Time to start the direct TC apps.

If you haven’t had any interaction with a firm formally (open day or other event) is there much chance of securing a training contract?

I’m a career changer (civil servant) with experience of working with lawyers but at a social rather than economic regulator. Haven’t done any vac schemes but have done a lot of open days and other events.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.