Ask A Graduate Recruiter Anything!

Lumree

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Highest Rated Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 17, 2019
    Hi Jessica,

I’ve been told that I have a commercial article interview to prepare for. It’s expected to last 25 minutes.

It doesn’t look like I’ll receive the article in advance.

Do you have any idea how the structure of the interview could go? I think it could be something like five minutes to read it, some time to summarise it, and then a series of follow up questions.

Be great to hear your thoughts!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi Jessica,

I’ve been told that I have a commercial article interview to prepare for. It’s expected to last 25 minutes.

Do you have any idea how the structure of the interview could go? I think it could be something like five minutes to read it, some time to summarise it, and then a series of follow up questions.

I wouldn't want to make assumptions - it could be a range of formats really. You might find your preparation time is outside of the 25 minutes though.

Reactions: Lumree

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi Jessica,

Which firm is it for? We might be able to provide more detail once we know the firm.

Dwight

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Dec 21, 2019
    Hi @Jessica Booker

I hope this message finds you well.

During a vacation scheme, if I would like to reach out to a lawyer (for a discussion/question) on email - what is the best way to address them? Could you please provide me an example, say for example: John Smith?

Would it be hi/dear ... ?
    Full name/second etc?
    Mr/Mrs ... any of that?

Thank you.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi @Jessica Booker

I hope this message finds you well.

During a vacation scheme, if I would like to reach out to a lawyer (for a discussion/question) on email - what is the best way to address them? Could you please provide me an example, say for example: John Smith?

Would it be hi/dear ... ?
    Full name/second etc?
    Mr/Mrs ... any of that?

Thank you.
    Dear John

Will be most appropriate

Reactions: Dwight

Numerius Negidius

Legendary Member
    Aug 8, 2020
    Hi Jessica, would you advise putting political volunteering experience on an application (without disclosing the party)? I feel that I have gained some transferable skills but at the same time am worried the risk of putting it on outweighs the benefit, eg the firm doesn't want people who are engaged in politics/thinks I'm not exercising discretion/questions my commitment to a legal career

Lumree

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Highest Rated Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 17, 2019
    Hi Jessica, would you advise putting political volunteering experience on an application (without disclosing the party)? I feel that I have gained some transferable skills but at the same time am worried the risk of putting it on outweighs the benefit, eg the firm doesn't want people who are engaged in politics/thinks I'm not exercising discretion/questions my commitment to a legal career
    Hi Numerius,

I’m of course not Jessica but I just want to add a few things based on my experience with similar concerns.

I would say that having political experience is a pro, not a con. I know several lawyers who were previously in the political space, and I know of many politicians who were previous lawyers.

Just to address some of your worries:

•You’re entitled to your political opinion as an individual. Working in a law firm myself, you see that political conversations are frequent. Law firms become concerned if you say something in public/social media something that’s potentially taken as voicing the firm’s voice. Policies are put in place to mitigate those issues when you’re an employee.

•They’re unlikely to question your commitment to law as a career based off your involvement alone. They’ll look at you as a whole and determine your motivations, which can come from either your legal or non-legal experience. What matters is how you demonstrate your motivations. If you were asked why law and why not politics, then is your opportunity to explain why and cast away any doubt they may have.

I’m sure you know all this but it’s just a reminder really that it sounds like you have some great experience to use, so you should!

• ℹ️
    Reactions: Numerius Negidius

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    The honest answer will be it depends how extreme your political leanings are. Anything deemed radical left or right is probably not a good idea. Anything in the centre of politics is generally fine.

It also depends how vocal you are - I have seen firms come down fairly hard on those with very strong political leanings who “rant” online about topics many with deem sensitive. But that is very different to political campaigning where you are respectful of others’ views and just spreading the message of a centre party.

Plenty of lawyers have a strong interest in politics, so I don’t think it is a risk as such. But it does depend on how much you are willing to leave your politics at the door while you are at work too.

Reactions: Lumree

LawGrad19

Star Member
    Aug 5, 2020
    Hi Jessica! - If you have two vac schemes and are given a TC for the first one but want to still experience the second to make an informed choice, will it look bad to the first firm or will they understand as it is a big decision?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi Jessica! - If you have two vac schemes and are given a TC for the first one but want to still experience the second to make an informed choice, will it look bad to the first firm or will they understand as it is a big decision?
    Most firms should be giving you enough time to consider your offer to undertake the second vac scheme. You should be getting at least four weeks to make a decision (unless the TC starts immediately).

If they don’t and are telling you to accept/decline the offer ASAP, tell them losing the income alone is problematic and that you would like to continue with the other vacation scheme and you would prefer if you could make a decision after the second scheme. If they are still pushing you for a decision, then ultimately you could accept and then renege the offer should you choose to.

The firm should be understanding and if they aren’t, I think it says a lot about them (which isn’t positive in my opinion).

Reactions: Holly and LawGrad19

LawGrad19

Star Member
    Aug 5, 2020
    Most firms should be giving you enough time to consider your offer to undertake the second vac scheme. You should be getting at least four weeks to make a decision (unless the TC starts immediately).

If they don’t and are telling you to accept/decline the offer ASAP, tell them losing the income alone is problematic and that you would like to continue with the other vacation scheme and you would prefer if you could make a decision after the second scheme. If they are still pushing you for a decision, then ultimately you could accept and then renege the offer should you choose to.

The firm should be understanding and if they aren’t, I think it says a lot about them (which isn’t positive in my opinion).
    Thank you for this Jessica!

Reactions: Jessica Booker

pbyrne

Esteemed Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Jan 15, 2021
    Hi Jessica, hope you're well. I'm applying for Collyer Bristow and they ask for a cover letter alongside the application form. The questions on the application form (below) are pretty comprehensive, and I'm not sure what else to put in the cover letter so I'd be grateful for any ideas on what else I should write about as I'm currently a bit stumped!

Have you taken or intend to take a gap year? If so, what did you/will you do during this year, and what benefits did you/or do you hope to gain from this?

Please describe your main interests, responsibilities and achievements (other than academic) during the last five years.

Why do you want to become a solicitor?

What qualities do you have that you feel will enhance your role as a solicitor?

What areas of the law interest you and why?

Why have you chosen to apply to Collyer Bristow?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi Jessica, hope you're well. I'm applying for Collyer Bristow and they ask for a cover letter alongside the application form. The questions on the application form (below) are pretty comprehensive, and I'm not sure what else to put in the cover letter so I'd be grateful for any ideas on what else I should write about as I'm currently a bit stumped!

Have you taken or intend to take a gap year? If so, what did you/will you do during this year, and what benefits did you/or do you hope to gain from this?

Please describe your main interests, responsibilities and achievements (other than academic) during the last five years.

Why do you want to become a solicitor?

What qualities do you have that you feel will enhance your role as a solicitor?

What areas of the law interest you and why?

Why have you chosen to apply to Collyer Bristow?
    Personally, I’d keep it as brief as possible and for it to maybe focus on the aspects you can’t fit into these questions because of a limited word count or because they are things that wouldn’t fit into these questions.

For instance, if you have had much opportunity to talk about your work experience or extra curriculars, your cover letter could explain why they are relevant/have developed transferable skills.

M777

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Jul 15, 2019
    Hi Jessica, I was just wondering if you had any tips for how I can politely decline a job offer without leaving a bad taste in the firm's mouth? In this case, I am declining a paralegal offer at a regional firm because I am now pursuing + interviewing for other paralegal positions, which are more relevant to my London commercial law plans. The firm also wanted me to be a more permanent member of the firm (I quote- "we don't like people who leave after 12 months and take the skills we gave them elsewhere"), whereas I see paralegalling as a stepping stone to develop my skills + experience. I also need flexibility for vac schemes and TC interviews, which a permanent paralegal contract can't offer me.

Any advice you offer is greatly appreciated.

*Would also note I have been given seemingly no time to consider the offer before accepting!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi Jessica, I was just wondering if you had any tips for how I can politely decline a job offer without leaving a bad taste in the firm's mouth? In this case, I am declining a paralegal offer at a regional firm because I am now pursuing + interviewing for other paralegal positions, which are more relevant to my London commercial law plans. The firm also wanted me to be a more permanent member of the firm (I quote- "we don't like people who leave after 12 months and take the skills we gave them elsewhere"), whereas I see paralegalling as a stepping stone to develop my skills + experience. I also need flexibility for vac schemes and TC interviews, which a permanent paralegal contract can't offer me.

Any advice you offer is greatly appreciated.

*Would also note I have been given seemingly no time to consider the offer before accepting!
    Recruiters are used to people turning them down. It’s unlikely to leave a bad taste in their mouth unless you are rude.

Just explain what you have explained in your post. Give them a call and tell them over the phone and then follow up with a brief email confirming you are withdrawing your application/turning down the job offer.

Reactions: M777

pbyrne

Esteemed Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Jan 15, 2021
    Personally, I’d keep it as brief as possible and for it to maybe focus on the aspects you can’t fit into these questions because of a limited word count or because they are things that wouldn’t fit into these questions.

For instance, if you have had much opportunity to talk about your work experience or extra curriculars, your cover letter could explain why they are relevant/have developed transferable skills.

I've talked a bit about work experience when giving examples for the other questions, but I'll expand a bit in the cover letter. Thanks!

Just one more question if you don't mind - there are no word limits on the form. I could probably write reams but obviously don't want to bore grad rec, what do you think is an acceptable amount? I've been aiming to keep to 300, but one of my better answers is about 500 and I don't know if this is too long? Many thanks!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I've talked a bit about work experience when giving examples for the other questions, but I'll expand a bit in the cover letter. Thanks!

Just one more question if you don't mind - there are no word limits on the form. I could probably write reams but obviously don't want to bore grad rec, what do you think is an acceptable amount? I've been aiming to keep to 300, but one of my better answers is about 500 and I don't know if this is too long? Many thanks!
    I wouldn’t expand in the cover letter especially if you are providing this information in a CV format and work experience section too - it was just be repetition. Is the cover letter compulsory? If not, I’m not convinced it is even needed.

Given the volume of questions, I’d keep them to more like 300 words where you can but not an issue if one is slightly over. 500 words might be a bit too long, but 400 could be ok.

pbyrne

Esteemed Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Jan 15, 2021
    I wouldn’t expand in the cover letter especially if you are providing this information in a CV format and work experience section too - it was just be repetition. Is the cover letter compulsory? If not, I’m not convinced it is even needed.

Given the volume of questions, I’d keep them to more like 300 words where you can but not an issue if one is slightly over. 500 words might be a bit too long, but 400 could be ok.
    Unfortunately the cover letter is compulsory (along with the CV and application form) and I'm really struggling to write something that doesn't just repeat what's in my answers!

Thanks for the insight, I'll aim to keep to 300!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Unfortunately the cover letter is compulsory (along with the CV and application form) and I'm really struggling to write something that doesn't just repeat what's in my answers!

Thanks for the insight, I'll aim to keep to 300!
    In that case keep the cover letter exceptional short. I don’t think it requires much at all - only anything you felt was obviously missing from other answers that you hadn’t covered. For instance if your “why the firm” question had focused on the practical benefits of working as a trainee there, then the cover letter could talk more about why the cultural aspects of the firm appeal to you. But if both are covered in another answers, there is no need to repeat.

It just sounds like a formality to see whether you can draft a decent cover letter in terms of format rather than anything else.

Reactions: pbyrne

pbyrne

Esteemed Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Jan 15, 2021
    In that case keep the cover letter exceptional short. I don’t think it requires much at all - only anything you felt was obviously missing from other answers that you hadn’t covered. For instance if your “why the firm” question had focused on the practical benefits of working as a trainee there, then the cover letter could talk more about why the cultural aspects of the firm appeal to you. But if both are covered in another answers, there is no need to repeat.

It just sounds like a formality to see whether you can draft a decent cover letter in terms of format rather than anything else.

Would it be alright to talk about how I fit in (with specific examples) with the values of the firm? They recently underwent a rebrand and talk a lot about their values which is not something I've touched on in a huge amount of detail in the application form.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.