Ask Me Anything: Future Trainee at Reed Smith

Cassie

Dec 14, 2018
Good evening! I also went to an Urban Lawyers event with Reed Smith too and really loved it! I wanted to ask, would it be inappropriate to use one of their ex graduate recruiters as a referee? Would it be a conflict of interest if she now works at a competing law firm?

Vany

Premium Member
Dec 11, 2018
Hi everyone!

Thank you again Salma and Rachael for the session, I was able to watch the recording. It was really useful.

I am almost done with my Reed Smith Graduate Open Day application and intend to apply to the Vacation Scheme aswell before the end of the year.

I have doubts re the question "Why do you want to attend an open day at reed smith?"

I basically explained all of the reasons I am interested in the firm (past experience at RS Paris office, discussion with former London associate, why I am interested in many of their practice areas...). But I have neither discussed why I am interested in commercial law nor how much I am commercially aware about the firm. Would it be a good idea to do so for an Open Day question?

I have obviously discussed these missing points in my vacation scheme application which I am currently working on.

Overall I am very new to this process :p (I studied and graduated in France, passed the GDL in 2017 ).

Also, did anyone attend an Open Day at Reed Smith and knows how the day is organised?

Thanks ! ;)

PHT

Star Member
Jun 30, 2018
Hi everyone!

Thank you again Salma and Rachael for the session, I was able to watch the recording. It was really useful.

I am almost done with my Reed Smith Graduate Open Day application and intend to apply to the Vacation Scheme aswell before the end of the year.

I have doubts re the question "Why do you want to attend an open day at reed smith?"

I basically explained all of the reasons I am interested in the firm (past experience at RS Paris office, discussion with former London associate, why I am interested in many of their practice areas...). But I have neither discussed why I am interested in commercial law nor how much I am commercially aware about the firm. Would it be a good idea to do so for an Open Day question?

I have obviously discussed these missing points in my vacation scheme application which I am currently working on.

Overall I am very new to this process :p (I studied and graduated in France, passed the GDL in 2017 ).

Also, did anyone attend an Open Day at Reed Smith and knows how the day is organised?

Thanks ! ;)

I attended an open day in November. Really, really insightful with talks from so many people from different areas of the firm. There were about 7 sessions with talks on innovation, pro bono and responsible business, the firm's brand, the firm's values, application workshop and a panel Q&A. There were also two networking sessions, one at lunch and one at the end of the day. It was quite fast paced and sometimes felt rushed but I left with a clear understanding of the firm and knew exactly what they were looking for. So I would really recommend it.

I only had to submit a CV for mine but your answer sounds great. Generally most people who apply get onto open days. :)

Reactions: Salma and Vany

Vany

Premium Member
Dec 11, 2018
I attended an open day in November. Really, really insightful with talks from so many people from different areas of the firm. There were about 7 sessions with talks on innovation, pro bono and responsible business, the firm's brand, the firm's values, application workshop and a panel Q&A. There were also two networking sessions, one at lunch and one at the end of the day. It was quite fast paced and sometimes felt rushed but I left with a clear understanding of the firm and knew exactly what they were looking for. So I would really recommend it.

I only had to submit a CV for mine but your answer sounds great. Generally most people who apply get onto open days. :)

Thanks a lot for the insight ! I agree it must be so useful knowing exactly what they are looking for especially when drafting applications !

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hi everyone!

Thanks ! ;)

If the question is only "Why do you want to attend an Open Day at Reed Smith, you don't have to include why you are interested in commercial law/your commercial knowledge. It sounds like the reasons you have given already are very good.

Reactions: Vany

Salma

Legendary Member
    Feb 28, 2018
    Hi everyone!

Thanks ! ;)

Hi Vanessa! Glad to hear you found the video useful.

I think Jaysen and @JamR have pretty much summed everything up!

Good luck with your applications :)

Reactions: PHT and Vany

PHT

Star Member
    Jun 30, 2018
    Also don't neglect your non-legal work experience. We were told that you get marked down if you don't have any on your application. (An external consultant initially scores applications before GR screen them)

Reactions: Vany

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.