Ask Willkie Farr & Gallagher Anything!

Mrcerec

Standard Member
Dec 8, 2023
Not Gemma, but if he is working in another law firm, he will need to check whether he can work for another firm (his employment contract is likely to restrict this).

It is not impossible to do a vacation scheme with another firm if you are employed by another, but there can be challenges with contractual permissions, getting the time off work, and then finally conflicts checks.

There won’t be any age limitations for any TC for any firm too. Going by the average age of a trainee is 28 (by Law Society stats), your son is clearly a very average age to start a TC. But even if he was older, I’ve seen trainees, in their 30s, 40s and 50s.
Thanks Jessica. No he works at a big strategic communications firm, hence his business experience. He has got to the final round 3 times this year, and the feedback is that his lack of legal experience makes them question his dedication to the law, hence I'm wondering whether doing a Masters in law would help

sxw517

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Sep 20, 2021
    Hi Gemma,

Just wondering if there are any ways you'd recommend applicants can prepare for the written exercise, apart from reading the FT or business pages of a broadsheet.

Also, is the written exercise purely commercial, or does it have legal elements as well?

Thanks in advance!

WillkieGemma

Valued Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Nov 4, 2021
    Hi Gemma,

For the VI, it says that there will be commercial awareness and understanding of law firms. Could you advise on any tips that would be useful in approaching these types of questions?

Thankyou!!
    Hi @gggg I can't give any further specific guidance, other than what is contained in the emails, as this would be unfair on other candidates. My advice for all video interviews is to research the firm, your own motives and practise out loud!

WillkieGemma

Valued Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Nov 4, 2021
    Hi Gemma! Thanks for the help so far again - it truly does help calm our nerves in this process.

For the commercial based questions - 'tell us about a current commercial issue...' is it asking for a specific case or a general topic which is an issue right now?

Best wishes!

Hi @lawyerletsgo I would choose a business topic of the last six months, which is relevant to the firm (either their practice areas or the sectors in which their clients are based). They are not looking for a case as they have said commercial issue, not legal matter. They are looking for you to tell you the commercial implications of this topic, and why it is interesting to you.

WillkieGemma

Valued Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Nov 4, 2021
    Hi @WillkieGemma , this has been an insightful thread. I'm an international student in the penultimate year of my law degree and I graduate in 2025 and am available to start in 2026.

Q. I am aware that Willkie allows international students as mentioned on the website but wanted to double-check if you sponsor visas for the Vacation Schemes in 2024 as well. Would Indian vac schemers get visa sponsorships or a letter that would help us to then apply for a work visa for the UK? As an international student, unless my VS is sponsored, I would not be able to apply and after reading the thread, I see that the firm does not have a direct TC intake. I've had legal, non-legal and legal tech experience. Is there a way to be considered for the TC by applying to the VS in case my application is a fit and if you don't sponsor visas for the VS?

Q. Would the firm be covering the costs of accommodation, travel, and other necessary expenses for the vac scheme period for International students? Or do we have to bear it in our capacity?

Q. The deadline is only 10 days away so I wanted to check if I am at a disadvantage if applying this late into the process and if my app would be viewed differently.

Hi @Samridhi Jain please see my answers below:

1. We are looking into sponsorship for interns. We do not recruit for TCs directly.
    2. No, we would not cover international travel, but pay our vac scheme candidates £600 a week
    3. Not at all, you should apply whenever you are ready. I read every application, no matter when it is submitted.

thanks
    Gemma

Reactions: Samridhi Jain

WillkieGemma

Valued Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Nov 4, 2021
    Thanks Gemma. As he has business experience is he better applying for VS or direct for a TC? At what age do you consider people too old for a TC?

We don't recruit for TCs directly, so his only option is for vacation schemes with Willkie. We don't consider people too old (this would also be age discrimation!) Our trainees range in age from 23 to 30+.

For other firms, it would be difficult to say, whether his chances are better with a VS or TC.

WillkieGemma

Valued Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Nov 4, 2021
    Hi Gemma,

Just wondering if there are any ways you'd recommend applicants can prepare for the written exercise, apart from reading the FT or business pages of a broadsheet.

Also, is the written exercise purely commercial, or does it have legal elements as well?

Thanks in advance!

Hi @sxw517

It's really important to us that our application process is fair to all applicants, so I can't give you any other information, other than what is contained in the emails you've already seen. As mentioned in the emails, you will receive more information in January. The reason we do this, is that all candidates receive the same info at exactly the same time, again to make sure no one is at an advantage.

Sorry to not be more helpful, but I hope you understand
    Gemma

Reactions: Jaysen

sxw517

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Sep 20, 2021
    Hi @sxw517

It's really important to us that our application process is fair to all applicants, so I can't give you any other information, other than what is contained in the emails you've already seen. As mentioned in the emails, you will receive more information in January. The reason we do this, is that all candidates receive the same info at exactly the same time, again to make sure no one is at an advantage.

Sorry to not be more helpful, but I hope you understand
    Gemma
    Hi Gemma, no worries, I understand! :)

Reactions: WillkieGemma

Chloekylam

Dec 13, 2023
    Hi Gemma,

I'm currently pending admission in New York, having already passed the NY Bar Exam. I'm currently clerking for the New York State Supreme Court. I'm very interested in pursuing a career in London, as I am a citizen there.

I was wondering if I should be looking into lateral hiring or apply through vacation schemes? Sorry if this might be a little too obvious - I'm not quite familiar with the terminology in the UK.

Thank you and best regards,
    Chloe

Last edited:

WillkieGemma

Valued Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Nov 4, 2021
    Hi Gemma,

I'm currently pending admission in New York, having already passed the NY Bar Exam. I'm currently clerking for the New York State Supreme Court. I'm very interested in pursuing a career in London, as I am a citizen there.

I was wondering if I should be looking into lateral hiring or apply through vacation schemes? Sorry if this might be a little too obvious - I'm not quite familiar with the terminology in the UK.

Thank you and best regards,
    Chloe
    Hi @Chloekylam

It really depends on whether you've practised in NYC and the firm you are applying to in London. By the time a trainee qualifies in England & Wales, they would have built up two years of solid experience in a law firm or legal practice. It may be better to go the vac scheme route, but I'd be able to chat to you about this - please email me at [email protected] with some availability for next week.

thanks
    Gemma

Reactions: Jessica Booker

ADKM

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Nov 2, 2022
    Hi @WillkieGemma hope you are doing well. When answering the ‘why commercial law’ question, can you please advice if it’s best to write the answer by narrating a story or get straight to the point?
    I’ve spoken to future and current trainees from different law firms (UK and US) and have received conflicting opinions about this. Some say US firms like it to be straight to the point whereas others stress on narrating a story as it brings out your unique & personal story. What structure do you think will work best for Willkie? Thank you for your help as always!

WillkieGemma

Valued Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Nov 4, 2021
    Hi @WillkieGemma hope you are doing well. When answering the ‘why commercial law’ question, can you please advice if it’s best to write the answer by narrating a story or get straight to the point?
    I’ve spoken to future and current trainees from different law firms (UK and US) and have received conflicting opinions about this. Some say US firms like it to be straight to the point whereas others stress on narrating a story as it brings out your unique & personal story. What structure do you think will work best for Willkie? Thank you for your help as always!

Hi @ADKM it doesn't really matter which medium you use, but what is important is that you are clearly answering the question of 'why' rather than just restating a timeline, which is often the case when telling a story. What has to come through is an understanding of a career in commercial law, and why it is interesting to you. If you are saying, when I was 16 I spent two weeks at x and then I studied Law as an undergraduate, there is no 'why' there, it's just a timeline...

fm14

Feb 14, 2024
    Hi Gemma, I hope you are well,

My A-level results are BBC however I was given these as provisional grades due to COVID-19. Being in lockdown for 1st year had a significant effect on my grades, however, a clear improvement in the results I achieved in the following years can be seen, graduating with a high 2:1. As a recruiter would you accept the impact of COVID as a mitigating circumstance.
    Also, would being diagnosed as neurodivergent after completing my studies be considered a mitigating circumstance or impact the contextualisation process?

Thank You

WillkieGemma

Valued Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Nov 4, 2021
    Hi Gemma, I hope you are well,

My A-level results are BBC however I was given these as provisional grades due to COVID-19. Being in lockdown for 1st year had a significant effect on my grades, however, a clear improvement in the results I achieved in the following years can be seen, graduating with a high 2:1. As a recruiter would you accept the impact of COVID as a mitigating circumstance.
    Also, would being diagnosed as neurodivergent after completing my studies be considered a mitigating circumstance or impact the contextualisation process?

Thank You
    HI @fm14

I would look at your application as a whole, taking into account undergrad grads and the quality of the application generally, the research you have done etc.

In terms of neurodivergency, this wouldn't negatively impact your application and we would make reasonable adjustments where required to ensure the application process remains fair.

thanks
    Gemma

hungry_for_TC

Distinguished Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Dec 2, 2021
    Hi there! Thanks for your valuable feedback in advance :) I am currently on a months-long hiking and farm volunteer trip around South America. I'm from this continent but haven't previously had the chance to connect with the region, nor have I had a gap year ever... it's been about 4 months post-PDGL graduation, and I plan to travel for about 3 months more. As the reason for me travelling is more personal (connecting with my heritage before busy SQE, TC and qualification years) and not connected to building my commercial awareness, obviously. Is this something that puts me at a disadvantage? I have legal work experience and have a first at a RG university, and I acquired a high merit on my PGDL. I can't help feeling guilty on this otherwise life-changing trip though that I should be doing paralegal work otherwise I'm behind! Will graduate recruitment scrutinise my decision?

WillkieGemma

Valued Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Nov 4, 2021
    Hi there! Thanks for your valuable feedback in advance :) I am currently on a months-long hiking and farm volunteer trip around South America. I'm from this continent but haven't previously had the chance to connect with the region, nor have I had a gap year ever... it's been about 4 months post-PDGL graduation, and I plan to travel for about 3 months more. As the reason for me travelling is more personal (connecting with my heritage before busy SQE, TC and qualification years) and not connected to building my commercial awareness, obviously. Is this something that puts me at a disadvantage? I have legal work experience and have a first at a RG university, and I acquired a high merit on my PGDL. I can't help feeling guilty on this otherwise life-changing trip though that I should be doing paralegal work otherwise I'm behind! Will graduate recruitment scrutinise my decision?

hi @hungry_for_TC

Not at all - it's completely normally to go travelling, whether to discover your heritage or simply for fun. Don't worry about it and enjoy!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.