Concerned final year law student

lawful_neutral216

Valued Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Nov 5, 2020
Hi all,

I am relatively new to the forum. I am a law student studying at a Scottish University and going into my final and fourth year in September 2021. I am also an international student. I have attended a few Open days in my first and second year, however, I was unable to secure a Vacation scheme for this year. I have extenuating circumstances going on at the moment due to which I have been unable to apply for any direct TC 2023 applications either. My questions are:

1) If I decide to apply in the upcoming cycle (direct TC/ Spring or Summer VS), the only opportunities available to me seem to be for a TC starting in 2024. Considering I graduate in May 2022, I am uncertain how this will work out. Are there any firms/opportunities that I can apply for in the upcoming cycle that will enable me to start a TC in late 2023?
2) Because I am a Scots law student, will I be able to take the GDL + LPC (with some exemptions) route or will I have to take the SQE route?

I would extremely appreciate if I could get some guidance on the following. If any other final year students/international students are in the same boat, I would love to speak and get to know more about options that can be considered!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi all,

I am relatively new to the forum. I am a law student studying at a Scottish University and going into my final and fourth year in September 2021. I am also an international student. I have attended a few Open days in my first and second year, however, I was unable to secure a Vacation scheme for this year. I have extenuating circumstances going on at the moment due to which I have been unable to apply for any direct TC 2023 applications either. My questions are:

1) If I decide to apply in the upcoming cycle (direct TC/ Spring or Summer VS), the only opportunities available to me seem to be for a TC starting in 2024. Considering I graduate in May 2022, I am uncertain how this will work out. Are there any firms/opportunities that I can apply for in the upcoming cycle that will enable me to start a TC in late 2023?
2) Because I am a Scots law student, will I be able to take the GDL + LPC (with some exemptions) route or will I have to take the SQE route?

I would extremely appreciate if I could get some guidance on the following. If any other final year students/international students are in the same boat, I would love to speak and get to know more about options that can be considered!
Are you studying English law modules at your Scottish university?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica, no I do not study English law modules. However, I am aware that the GDL/LPC route in the past has permitted some exemptions for GDL modules for Scots LLB students.
You’ll have to take the SQE route - the GDL route closes off this December.

some firms will be recruiting for 2023 intakes still, but the vast majority will be 2024. If firms are expecting you to do an SQE course pre starting a TC, you could find this takes 18 months anyway and so you’d potentially only be ready from early 2024 anyway.

Reactions: lawful_neutral216

Trooper007

Gold Member
Premium Member
Nov 2, 2023
Hi all,

Hi,
I'm in a similar position. Wondering how you ended up working this out. Any tips would be helpful. Thanks!
PS: I'm an accelerated LLB student, graduating this summer.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.