Confusion over conversion applications

em2211

Apr 1, 2021
Hi there,

As with many people on here I'm currently going through the process of applying for 2022 Vac Schemes in the hopes of securing a TC. As a non-law student, my plan is to complete a conversion after I graduate this year, and would ideally like to have a TC lined up so I can secure funding for the course.

My question is this - given many firms have a chosen law school or provider, but I won't know if I have any offers until Summer 2022, how do I know when and where to apply? I know there is 'no deadline' for courses, but I feel as though leaving it this long would be too late.

Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated as I am ever so slightly confused, thanks!

IRO

Distinguished Member
Junior Lawyer 5
Jan 21, 2021
Hi there,

As with many people on here I'm currently going through the process of applying for 2022 Vac Schemes in the hopes of securing a TC. As a non-law student, my plan is to complete a conversion after I graduate this year, and would ideally like to have a TC lined up so I can secure funding for the course.

My question is this - given many firms have a chosen law school or provider, but I won't know if I have any offers until Summer 2022, how do I know when and where to apply? I know there is 'no deadline' for courses, but I feel as though leaving it this long would be too late.

Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated as I am ever so slightly confused, thanks!
Copying from my reply on your other thread:

If you receive a TC from a firm which sponsors your education (be in PGDL/GDL/SQE course) they will tell you exactly what to do. It will not be too late if you secure your TC this summer. You do not need to worry or apply now unless you want to have the option of self funding your education as a back up. However, this may not be the best option as you don’t need to do a conversion course as you’ll be qualifying via the SQE route so paying for the GDL/PGDL would be an unnecessary expense.

em2211

Apr 1, 2021
Copying from my reply on your other thread:

If you receive a TC from a firm which sponsors your education (be in PGDL/GDL/SQE course) they will tell you exactly what to do. It will not be too late if you secure your TC this summer. You do not need to worry or apply now unless you want to have the option of self funding your education as a back up. However, this may not be the best option as you don’t need to do a conversion course as you’ll be qualifying via the SQE route so paying for the GDL/PGDL would be an unnecessary expense.
Really helpful, thankyou!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.