Conundrum over first-year scheme

B1806

Distinguished Member
Dec 31, 2019
I just got an offer from DLA Piper for their spring insight scheme, so I'm pretty happy. However, I'm in a bit of a pickle since the dates are right between the Easter holidays. This means that I'd either have to spend more than a week in London all by myself and without my family (uni friends are going home over the holidays too) OR buy plane tickets to go back to my home country, then back to London, then back to my country again.

I sincerely doubt they would cover these expenses. What should I do? I can't possibly turn the scheme down, can I?

Also, is it worth applying to Freshfields anymore considering that their schemes overlap by a day (DLA is 6-8 April, Freshfields is 8-9 April)?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
If you are definitely going to DLA and wouldn’t renege the offer to go to FBD, then no point applying.

I’d staying in the U.K. that much of an issue for a week? Good chance go get ahead of some revision if no one else is around?

B1806

Distinguished Member
Dec 31, 2019
If you are definitely going to DLA and wouldn’t renege the offer to go to FBD, then no point applying.
Thing is, I don't know which one I'd choose. DLA has a three-day scheme, which is definitely better than two days, but there's no fast track for the vac scheme (which you do get if you go to Freshfields' spring workshop)

I’d staying in the U.K. that much of an issue for a week? Good chance go get ahead of some revision if no one else is around?
Personally, I find revision easier to do at home.
It would be an issue, yes. I don't want to waste a free week on just sitting in my room when I could be with my family over the holidays. Much rather spend the extra money on travel expenses. Is there any chance that they'd cover part of my travel expenses?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Thing is, I don't know which one I'd choose. DLA has a three-day scheme, which is definitely better than two days, but there's no fast track for the vac scheme (which you do get if you go to Freshfields' spring workshop)

Personally, I find revision easier to do at home.
It would be an issue, yes. I don't want to waste a free week on just sitting in my room when I could be with my family over the holidays. Much rather spend the extra money on travel expenses. Is there any chance that they'd cover part of my travel expenses?

then apply and choose should you be offered both. You won’t be able to attend both though.

no - they won’t cover your travel expenses outside of the U.K, only your travel from where you are currently living in the U.K. to London (and back).

B1806

Distinguished Member
Dec 31, 2019
then apply and choose should you be offered both. You won’t be able to attend both though.

no - they won’t cover your travel expenses outside of the U.K, only your travel from where you are currently living in the U.K. to London (and back).
Ended up applying.
Trouble is, I have to confirm DLA by Feb 24th, meaning that unless I hear back from Freshfields in the next 3 days, I'll have no choice but to accept the DLA scheme, thus making it impossible to attend Freshfields' thingy.

Hypothetically, let's say that I do confirm my DLA offer and, say, a few days later hear back from Freshfields.
Can I confirm my attendance to DLA and then retract it once I get something else? Is that frowned upon?

I'm really not sure which scheme I prefer to be honest. Freshfields' scheme seems more interesting, but DLA is 3 days...

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
It isn't impossible. You can renege on the offer if you wanted to. It is frowned upon and you wouldn't have much chance with the firm you reneged with in the future, but plenty of people do it each cycle.

I would go with the firm you most want to work with. No one will care whether it is 2 or 3 days on your CV.

Reactions: Daniel Boden

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.