Aspiringlawyer14

Standard Member
Feb 25, 2022
Hi All,

I just had 2 questions that I would love any help with

Firstly, let's say you've secured 2 first-year schemes. Firm A is lasting for one whole week (no fast track), whereas Firm B has a one day workshop in the middle of Firm A's scheme dates. If I have secured both would it be silly to accept both and then miss a day of Firm A's scheme due to 'illness'? I know this may seem unethical but I am just asking to see whether this was a viable option. One is a whole week long, whereas the other has a fast track opportunity!

Secondly, (completely separate) which first-year scheme is better (let's say my interest in both firms is fully equal and there is no differentiator for me) - CMS First Steps or the DLA Piper insight programme?

If anyone has done these, I'd love opinions on which one to pick potentially

Some important things for me -
What was the fast-track process like on these schemes?
Was the exit interview/ WG test/ fast track opportunity hard to achieve or relatively easy?
How many people (as a %) actually got fast-tracked to a vac scheme?
How many people were on the scheme (was one more selective than the other?)
Which firm offers better career prospects/ which do people prefer?

Reactions: George Maxwell

George Maxwell

Administrator
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer 50
Oct 25, 2021
Hi All,

I just had 2 questions that I would love any help with

Firstly, let's say you've secured 2 first-year schemes. Firm A is lasting for one whole week (no fast track), whereas Firm B has a one day workshop in the middle of Firm A's scheme dates. If I have secured both would it be silly to accept both and then miss a day of Firm A's scheme due to 'illness'? I know this may seem unethical but I am just asking to see whether this was a viable option. One is a whole week long, whereas the other has a fast track opportunity!

Secondly, (completely separate) which first-year scheme is better (let's say my interest in both firms is fully equal and there is no differentiator for me) - CMS First Steps or the DLA Piper insight programme?

If anyone has done these, I'd love opinions on which one to pick potentially

Some important things for me -
What was the fast-track process like on these schemes?
Was the exit interview/ WG test/ fast track opportunity hard to achieve or relatively easy?
How many people (as a %) actually got fast-tracked to a vac scheme?
How many people were on the scheme (was one more selective than the other?)
Which firm offers better career prospects/ which do people prefer?
Hey @Aspiringlawyer14,

Unfortunately I can't give any insight into either first year scheme.

That being said, have you had a look through the forum using the search bar functionality (on the top right of the page if you are using a laptop!). This might give you the names of some users who have experience with one or both firms, in addition to potentially yielding some useful content for you to have a look at to help you with your decision! For example, searching "CMS First Steps" looks promising!

Reactions: Jaysen

Aspiringlawyer14

Standard Member
Feb 25, 2022
Hey @Aspiringlawyer14,

Unfortunately I can't give any insight into either first year scheme.

That being said, have you had a look through the forum using the search bar functionality (on the top right of the page if you are using a laptop!). This might give you the names of some users who have experience with one or both firms, in addition to potentially yielding some useful content for you to have a look at to help you with your decision! For example, searching "CMS First Steps" looks promising!
Thanks so much George, will have a look now!

Reactions: George Maxwell

Aspiringlawyer14

Standard Member
Feb 25, 2022
Is it possible to change either to another date?
I don't think so unfortunately. Their websites only advertise a single date and (unless I'm wrong) firms don't run the same events on different dates just for people who clash - they might even clash on purpose..

What would you advise doing? Is it normal to take 1/2 days off a scheme for illness but return for the final days? Or will this leave a really really bad impression

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I don't think so unfortunately. Their websites only advertise a single date and (unless I'm wrong) firms don't run the same events on different dates just for people who clash - they might even clash on purpose..

What would you advise doing? Is it normal to take 1/2 days off a scheme for illness but return for the final days? Or will this leave a really really bad impression
They are going to know you are doing another scheme. Graduate Recruitment know the dates of the other programmes and it will be super obvious what is going on….

Aspiringlawyer14

Standard Member
Feb 25, 2022
They are going to know you are doing another scheme. Graduate Recruitment know the dates of the other programmes and it will be super obvious what is going on….
Hmm, I understand. What would you recommend then? Turning down the one week work experience scheme and instead taking the 1/2-day scheme that has the opportunity to fast-track? (Both the same level of firm, let's say there is no preference?)

Last edited:

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hmm, I understand. What would you recommend then? Turning down the one week work experience scheme and instead taking the 1/2-day scheme that has the opportunity to fast-track? (Both the same level of firm, let's say there is no preference?)
I’d go with the firm I had a stronger preference for. If I didn’t have a preference, I’d go with the longer scheme because I am going to get more from it and also it will look more impressive for other applications.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.