Dear TC Diary

wannabesheridansmith

Distinguished Member
Jan 2, 2024
Hi all

I thought I would give in a create a thread to post little updates on my search for a training contract mostly to be accountable, but also because I want people to tell! I am going through this process pretty incognito (only my partner knows) and I need a place to let it all out sometimes.

Background
For background, I'm someone who graduated a few years ago. In my penultimate year, I made 2 applications for TCs (didn't even know about VSs at the time) and was interviewed for 1 which I completely bombed. By that point I had already decided that if it was a rejection then I would be going down a different path.

A few years later, I'm ready to get back into it all and pursue the dream goal. I live in Scotland and so only applying to firms with offices here (in Glasgow or Edinburgh). I also haven't yet completed the Diploma (DPLP) but plan to apply this year to start part-time in September, so I can still work part-time alongside it.

I made the firm decision to make applications and pursue this at the end of November and so I have been rushed since then to get applications in and hopefully get somewhere with it. I tried to apply for a wide range of firms that I could see myself working at, but because it's my first proper round of applications I also fired off some apps I really don't think I'd get a place for, but used the application as a way to practice and, if any further steps come around, can use those as much needed practice too.

I'll post the firms, application date/deadline and ongoing updates in this thread! 🎉

Last edited:

wannabesheridansmith

Distinguished Member
Jan 2, 2024
Applications made

FirmDate appliedFirm's deadline
Burness Paull24 December 20233 January 2024
Dentons1 January 20242 January 2024
Addleshaw Goddard1 January 20244 January 2024
Shepherd and Wedderburn4 January 20244 January 2024
Burges Salmon1 January 20245 January 2024
Anderson Strathern1 January 202412 January 2024
Brodies7 January 20248 January 2024
TLT9 January 202410 January 2024
Womble Bond Dickinson6 January 202411 January 2024
DWF10 January 202412 January 2024

wannabesheridansmith

Distinguished Member
Jan 2, 2024
First updates to mark where I am at with firms that have responded at the moment

Burness Paull
Date applied24 December 2023
Invite to Arctic Shores assessment27 December 2023
Invite to video interview3 January 2024
Invite to aptitude tests8 January 2024

Dentons
Date applied1 January 2024
Invite to aptitude tests3 January 2024

Addleshaw Goddard
Invite to video interview5 January 2024

Shepherd and Wedderburn
Date applied4 January 2024

Burges Salmon
Invite to aptitude tests1 January 2024 (required/auto)

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
Hi all

I thought I would give in a create a thread to post little updates on my search for a training contract mostly to be accountable, but also because I want people to tell! I am going through this process pretty incognito (only my partner knows) and I need a place to let it all out sometimes.

Background
For background, I'm someone who graduated from my undergraduate Law degree in 2020. I then went into research and work for a charity researching and writing advice for clients. Towards the end of my undergraduate degree I made the conscious decision not to pursue a career in law at the time because I knew I wasn't ready and wasn't sure if it was really for me. I made 2 applications in 2019 for TCs (didn't even know about VSs at the time) and was interviewed for 1 which I completely bombed. By that point I had already decided that if it was a rejection then I would be going down a different path.

A few years later, I'm ready to get back into it all and pursue the dream goal. I live in Scotland and so only applying to firms with offices here (in Glasgow or Edinburgh). I also haven't yet completed the Diploma (DPLP) but plan to apply this year to start part-time in September, so I can still work part-time alongside it.

I made the firm decision to make applications and pursue this at the end of November and so I have been rushed since then to get applications in and hopefully get somewhere with it. I tried to apply for a wide range of firms that I could see myself working at, but because it's my first proper round of applications I also fired off some apps I really don't think I'd get a place for, but used the application as a way to practice and, if any further steps come around, can use those as much needed practice too.

I'll post the firms, application date/deadline and ongoing updates in this thread! 🎉
This is such an amazing initiative to keep yourself accountable @wannabesheridansmith, I admire your commitment and your organisation and I am sure you will be successful in your journey. I am excited to see what the future holds for you and your path of becoming a lawyer.

Good luck with everything and I will be keeping an eye for your posts on this thread!

wannabesheridansmith

Distinguished Member
Jan 2, 2024
A chance to add a little update with 2 firms now getting back to me! The AC for ShepWed is 2 weeks away, so next week I'll start preparing for it as best as I can 🤞

Dentons
Invite to video interview16 January 2024

Shepherd and Wedderburn
Invite to assessment centre18 January 2024

wannabesheridansmith

Distinguished Member
Jan 2, 2024
Time for another update and this time for one of my top 2 firms! So many steps involved but hopefully it pays off. Also thanking the law gods that it's another assessment centre that doesn't include a group activity (just an interview and a presentation again) 🤞

Burness Paull
Invite to assessment centre23 January 2024

wannabesheridansmith

Distinguished Member
Jan 2, 2024
This can all get quite overwhelming quite quickly can't it... 3 more firms have got back to me since the last update 🫠 Updates are:

Anderson Strathern
PFO received24 January 2024
*Looking at eligibility, it seems this VS wasn't open to graduates (oops)

TLT
Date applied9 January 2024
Invite to assessment centre24 January 2024

Addleshaw Goddard
Invite to assessment centre25 January 2024

wannabesheridansmith

Distinguished Member
Jan 2, 2024
Dear TC diary,

Time for an update I guess! Since the last one, I've completed 3 assessment centres. I decided to withdraw from the TLT process and not attend the assessment centre as it was just a bit too intense to have them all going on almost back to back and decided to risk focusing on the other 3.

Excitingly though I heard back today from one of the firms I did an AC with last week and have received a placement offer! Very excited 🥳

TLT
Date applied9 January 2024
Invite to assessment centre24 January 2024
Decision to withdraw25 January 2024

DWF
Date applied10 January 2024
Invite to video interview31 January 2024
Decision to withdraw5 February 2024

Shepherd and Wedderburn
Invite to assessment centre18 January 2024
Attended assessment centre1 February 2024
Vacation scheme offer received5 February 2024

The other 2 firms said I should hear back within a week so we shall see. If I'm somehow successful in others I might have to make decisions about which to do due to time needed off work etc. Will keep you all updated!

Last edited:

wannabesheridansmith

Distinguished Member
Jan 2, 2024
Another update just to add to the excitement

Addleshaw Goddard
Invite to assessment centre25 January 2024
Attended assessment centre 1 February 2024
Vacation scheme offer received7 February 2024

Really shocked by this one. It was by far my worst performances in the ACs I did - in the interview with 2 partners I was asked about opening a coffee shop and started talking about pink drinks !?

Alas... exciting! 🥳

wannabesheridansmith

Distinguished Member
Jan 2, 2024
What might be the last update for a while now that most apps are concluded in some way

Dentons
Invite to video interview16 January 2024
Invite to assessment centre8 February 2024
Decision to withdraw 12 February 2024

Burness Paull
Invite to assessment centre23 January 2024
Attended assessment centre6 February 2024
PFO received post-AC12 February 2024

A little disappointed with the PFO from BP - was one of my top firms, but it makes it a bit easier to decide which firm to do a summer VS with as I wouldn't have been able to do all 3! Also means I wouldn't have any guilt from taking the opportunity from someone else who was deserving.

The only firm I'm waiting to hear anything from is Burges Salmon now. Not something I'll be chasing (I think they only have 2 TC places for Scotland anyway) but will keep an eye out for when/if they get back to me!

wannabesheridansmith

Distinguished Member
Jan 2, 2024
The application round up

FirmStage I got toOutcome
Burness PaullAssessment centrePFO
Addleshaw GoddardAssessment centreVS offer
Shepherd and WedderburnAssessment centreVS offer
DentonsAssessment centreWithdrew
TLTAssessment centreWithdrew
Womble Bond DickinsonVideo interviewWithdrew
DWFVideo interviewWithdrew
Anderson StrathernApplicationPFO
BrodiesApplicationPFO
Burges SalmonAptitude testTBD

Not too bad for a first application cycle! AG offer a spring VS which I will hopefully be able to do, and then do ShepWedd in Summer. Fingers crossed! Will post future updates on the journey to a TC as we go, let's hope I can convert the VSs to TCs! 🥳

Last edited:

hehostressed

Jan 2, 2021
The application round up

FirmStage I got toOutcome
Burness PaullAssessment centrePFO
Addleshaw GoddardAssessment centreVS offer
Shepherd and WedderburnAssessment centreVS offer
DentonsAssessment centreWithdrew
TLTAssessment centreWithdrew
Womble Bond DickinsonVideo interviewWithdrew
DWFVideo interviewWithdrew
Anderson StrathernApplicationPFO
BrodiesApplicationPFO
Burges SalmonAptitude testTBD

Not too bad for a first application cycle! AG offer a spring VS which I will hopefully be able to do, and then do ShepWedd in Summer. Fingers crossed! Will post future updates on the journey to a TC as we go, let's hope I can convert the VSs to TCs! 🥳
That’s incredible! Well done! Do you mind if I could dm you please re advice on AG?

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.