Deferrals

D

Deleted member 348

This is pretty ambitious and probably pretty irrelevant, but I am toying with the idea of applying for a masters should I have the opportunity. Is it possible to still apply for a training contract and have one lined up, and if I decide to do a masters (provided I am accepted) be able to defer it? Or do you have to defer it when applying?

Any help would be very much appreciated! Particularly with regards to what people know regarding different firms.

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    That's what I did for my firm. I had my conditional master's offer and was applying in my final year of uni. I was supposed to start my LPC the same year but after finding out I was accepted, I was able to defer it for another year (after some chats with the firm where I was unnecessarily worrying I was going to lose my offer).

D

Deleted member 348

That's what I did for my firm. I had my conditional master's offer and was applying in my final year of uni. I was supposed to start my LPC the same year but after finding out I was accepted, I was able to defer it for another year (after some chats with the firm where I was unnecessarily worrying I was going to lose my offer).

Ah that is good news. So, if you have a training contract offer and then are accepted onto a masters, it is possible to discuss deferring with the firm?

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Ah that is good news. So, if you have a training contract offer and then are accepted onto a masters, it is possible to discuss deferring with the firm?

I told my firm about my master's acceptance when they were telling me about my TC offer. There was another student in our intake who had his offer already, had started the LPC, and was able to defer it (to be fair, he was a very good candidate). I can't speak for other firms though -- some may be more funny about deferrals, especially if you had not told them you had applied for a master's before.

D

Deleted member 348

I told my firm about my master's acceptance when they were telling me about my TC offer. There was another student in our intake who had his offer already, had started the LPC, and was able to defer it (to be fair, he was a very good candidate). I can't speak for other firms though -- some may be more funny about deferrals, especially if you had not told them you had applied for a master's before.

Ah, I see what you mean. I will give it some thought. It is nice to know I don't need to write it off entirely though!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.