Do I need to tailor work experience in my applications?

Legalese

Jul 10, 2018
I have completed a vac scheme and got interviews at some top firms however I have never done more than make my application questions or cover letter very thorough, firm specific and clear. Obviously I have had a host of rejections as well.

I was thinking - do law firms want to see how your work experience ties in with a future trainee role..?! I have never done this, I usually just copy and paste my generic work experience but is this something I should be doing? In other words, should I be tailoring my work experience entries to that specific training contract firm?

Does anyone do this and is it a good idea?
(bearing in mind, I am not totally sure I have the time to construct amazing new work experience paragraphs without making it look like a lazy add on)

Thanks!

Jaxkw

Star Member
Early Bird
Mar 15, 2018
I have completed a vac scheme and got interviews at some top firms however I have never done more than make my application questions or cover letter very thorough, firm specific and clear. Obviously I have had a host of rejections as well.

I was thinking - do law firms want to see how your work experience ties in with a future trainee role..?! I have never done this, I usually just copy and paste my generic work experience but is this something I should be doing? In other words, should I be tailoring my work experience entries to that specific training contract firm?

(bearing in mind, I am not totally sure I have the time to construct amazing new work experience paragraphs without making it look like a lazy add on)

Thanks!

I'd be interested to know this too. I always thought my work experience section was a bit weak.

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018

Thanks!

Nope, you're all good. No need to tailor your answers for the work experience section.

I sometimes see students go a little overboard here, writing in great lengths about what they learned, what skills they developed and how it all applies to their chosen law firm. Unfortunately, more often than not, this is unhelpful.

I would treat this section a little more like a C.V. Keep it factual and concise. A recruiter should be able to skim through your answers and clearly identify what your role was and what you did.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.