Face-to-face case study prep?

azbwcy

Jan 6, 2019
Hi all,

Firstly just want to say thank you for this forum, it's such an encouraging space and it's really been such a help throughout applications!

I was wondering if anyone had advice on how to prepare for a face-to-face case study? I have one on wednesday (for Mishcon) and this is my first kind of AC/case study ever, so I'm very nervous and quite unsure how to prepare for it.

Thank you very much!

Last edited:

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hi all,

Firstly just want to say thank you for this forum, it's such an encouraging & helpful space and it's really been such a help throughout applications!

I was wondering if anyone had advice on how to prepare for a face-to-face case study? I have one on wednesday (for Mishcon) and this is my first kind of AC/case study ever, so I'm very nervous and quite unsure how to prepare for it.

Thank you very much!

Do you have any info about what the case study is based on? e.g. M&A?

azbwcy

Jan 6, 2019
    literally nothing at all :((( all they've said is “This is a face-to-face exercise which is completed when you come into the office. You will be given all the information materials on the day and given time to prepare before meeting with an assessor.” - hence my panic lol

Abstruser

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Jul 19, 2018
    This sounds like a standard case study, with an interview afterwards! Some general advice I would offer:
    • Set the scene. You'll want to create an introduction, so jot down the key features of the fictional scenario - whether it is an M&A scenario, a business expansion scenario, or whatever it is. Make sure you know who the client is, what their objectives are, and what the particular 'deal' is. That will help to structure your conversation with your assessor.
    • Stick to the brief! This seems really obvious, but sometimes with so much information, the temptation is to regurgitate everything you've read without necessarily answering the questions you have been asked in your instructions. Make sure you address what has been asked of you - this will also help you to add structure to your conversation with your assessor.
    • Make notes as you go through the material. Depending on how fast you write and how much time/material you are given, you might want to jot down key points of the materials that you read. Alternatively, if you're really time-pressured, you can make notes on the materials themselves, and note down page numbers on a separate piece of paper to save time. It depends on your personal preference!
    • Identify issues, and give solutions. Spotting a problem is one thing, but as a lawyer you are expected to solve those problems too. Try to think of solutions for every issue you identify. As a really simple example - if the lease on an office's premises are going to expire, don't just say that, but also say that you will involve the real estate team to check whether you can extend the lease, or consider buying the freehold, and the pros and cons of those options too.
    • Make note of both pros and cons. Just following on from the previous point, always try to present a balanced viewpoint. This will help you arrive at a well-reasoned conclusion at the end as well.
    • Get familiar with contractual mechanisms, such as warranties, indemnities, and representations. You'll want to have a basic understanding of how these work and differ from each other, and they also tend to come in handy when you're coming up with solutions to the issues you identify.
    • Finally, arrive at a solid conclusion. If you've been asked to identify the best of many different business strategies, pick one. If you've been asked to decide whether a particular deal is a good or bad one, pick one. Avoid the temptation to sit on the fence!
    That's all I can think of based on the information you've shared. I must say I'm quite surprised if that's all the information that is provided for your case study - they don't even tell you how much time you have to read through the materials!

All the best for your interview :)

Last edited:
    • 🏆
    • ℹ️
    Reactions: Tan, Holly, CT and 13 others

Tan

Oct 4, 2019
    Hi all,

Firstly just want to say thank you for this forum, it's such an encouraging space and it's really been such a help throughout applications!

Thank you very much!
    Hi, how did the case study go? I've never done one before, so would love to hear about your experience at Mishcon!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.