Feedback on Applications

Amanda

Star Member
Jan 2, 2019
Hi everyone,
Im not sure in which thread to post this so feel free to move it if it doesn't belong here.
I was just wondering which firms offer feedback on unsuccessful TC applications? This could be feedback on the application itself as well as on a critical thinking test.
Im not expecting a detailed analysis of where I went wrong, but just even a paragraph or a few lines for example..."this was a strong application but X was not as good as others"... .

Many thanks :D

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
Trainee
Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    Hi Amanda,

Sadly due to the number of applications firms receive I don't think any law firms offer this kind of service. If you get through to an assessment day/interview then you'll normally receive feedback on your performance on that day but otherwise, you won't sadly. This is why Jaysen's application review service is so helpful!

AJ

Legendary Member
    Sep 11, 2018
    Bclp I think offer some general feedback points. But they seem to be generic to all students. Hep to compare your application against those points though.

The Magic Circle will I believe (I could be wrong) provide you with a report on the Watson Glaser test which does help a bit. For CC it’s automatically provided. For Links and A&O you have to request it. Others may provide on an ad hoc basis depending on who picks up your email.

Reactions: Amanda

Amanda

Star Member
    Jan 2, 2019
    Bclp I think offer some general feedback points. But they seem to be generic to all students. Hep to compare your application against those points though.

The Magic Circle will I believe (I could be wrong) provide you with a report on the Watson Glaser test which does help a bit. For CC it’s automatically provided. For Links and A&O you have to request it. Others may provide on an ad hoc basis depending on who picks up your email.

Thank you AJ- Do you think even if they send out a general email stating feedback will not be provided, its worth talking to a member of HR about your application or emailing them?

AJ

Legendary Member
    Sep 11, 2018
    Thank you AJ- Do you think even if they send out a general email stating feedback will not be provided, its worth talking to a member of HR about your application or emailing them?

Probably not. I maybe a cynic but you’ll most likely get the same response. Too many apps to give feedback. I imagine they’ll not want it to get out they’re giving feedback as it will just open the floodgates.

If it’s after an AC/interview then I would definitely try. It’s really bad on them not to.

Reactions: wwood

wwood

Distinguished Member
    Jan 19, 2019
    Hi Amanda,

Sadly due to the number of applications firms receive I don't think any law firms offer this kind of service. If you get through to an assessment day/interview then you'll normally receive feedback on your performance on that day but otherwise, you won't sadly. This is why Jaysen's application review service is so helpful!

Yeah! The HR's emails explicitly say so :(

v123

Valued Member
    Jan 16, 2019

Hi! I got rejected from BCLP last year and there wasn't any feedback given

Roland

Distinguished Member
    Jan 10, 2019
    Hi! I got rejected from BCLP last year and there wasn't any feedback given

BCLP this year offered some general feedback. Not sure if this is a stock email to all applicants or not...

'Although your application on the whole was strong, we felt that your application lacked in some of the following:
    • A very clear alignment to BCLP with a strong understanding of the firms differentiators, competitors and wider alignment to commercial law.
    • Strong research skills; demonstrating that you sought out valuable information from a wide range of sources, incorporating firm facts, statistics, cases and financials etc.
    • Clear commercial focus when answering all questions, as well as showing why you are suited to the role of a commercial solicitor, over another city career.

We would like to take this opportunity to highlight that we considered your application to be strong and would encourage you to apply again in future and show improvements to our points made above.

We hope this feedback has given you a useful sense of how to improve going forward. In addition, if you have not attended an open day, we would recommend applying for one in future if you intend to reapply.'

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    BCLP this year offered some general feedback. Not sure if this is a stock email to all applicants or not...

'Although your application on the whole was strong, we felt that your application lacked in some of the following:
    • A very clear alignment to BCLP with a strong understanding of the firms differentiators, competitors and wider alignment to commercial law.
    • Strong research skills; demonstrating that you sought out valuable information from a wide range of sources, incorporating firm facts, statistics, cases and financials etc.
    • Clear commercial focus when answering all questions, as well as showing why you are suited to the role of a commercial solicitor, over another city career.

We would like to take this opportunity to highlight that we considered your application to be strong and would encourage you to apply again in future and show improvements to our points made above.

We hope this feedback has given you a useful sense of how to improve going forward. In addition, if you have not attended an open day, we would recommend applying for one in future if you intend to reapply.'

I'm always interested to know whether they tailor these emails or whether it's generic. Perhaps they segment the stronger applications?

Reactions: v123

wwood

Distinguished Member
    Jan 19, 2019

How do you do show a "clear alignment to" a firm? Is it just merely linking their core values to your capabilities?

Didi

Oct 31, 2018

I got the same e-mail from BCLP this app cycle.

Reactions: Amanda

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.