First year applications

BWSM201

Jan 2, 2019
Hey all!

I'm a first year student at a Russel Group university hoping to complete a first year scheme (or two). I've narrowed down several firms that interest me (which also offer first year schemes). I've done quite a lot of legal work experience prior to university, is this the best thing to put on these applications? As a first year, I have no first year grades thus far, so I'm unsure what employers are actually looking for from a first year?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hey all!

I'm a first year student at a Russel Group university hoping to complete a first year scheme (or two). I've narrowed down several firms that interest me (which also offer first year schemes). I've done quite a lot of legal work experience prior to university, is this the best thing to put on these applications? As a first year, I have no first year grades thus far, so I'm unsure what employers are actually looking for from a first year?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Legal work experience is good if you have it. You can use it to demonstrate your interest in a career in law.

You could also mention extra-curricular activities, positions of responsibility, or hobbies and interests, depending on the question. Although, firms will appreciate that some of these are difficult to get if you've just started uni.

Firms want to see many of the same things as in a vacation scheme application: Do you have a genuine interest in finding more about commercial law? Have you researched the firm you are applying to? What are you like as an individual?

On this last point, firms may focus on different competencies, such as whether you have good interpersonal skills, are driven and motivated, work well in a team etc. This is what you can demonstrate by talking about any past activities/experiences/achievements.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.