Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker, I applied earlier for King & Spalding's March/Sept 2020 TC before their 31 July 2020 deadline, yet have heard nothing back from them. I have just seen they are now recruiting for their March/Sept 2020 TC's with another deadline of 31 December 2020. The questions for the new 31 Dec 2020 TC are the same as the 31 July 2020 TC application.

I have emailed recruitment asking when we can expect rejections, but heard nothing. Should I assume I've been flat-out rejected, or that they've paused recruiting? I ask as I don't know whether I should use my 31 Jul answers for the new 31 Dec TC application?

I wouldn’t assume it’s a rejection. They may have just reopened applications.

If you did reapply, I’d still update your application rather than submitting exactly the same application.

• ℹ️
Reactions: csyn

thirdtimelucky

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Nov 12, 2019
    Does doing a vac scheme count as a second job? I’m working full time (and still on probation) so I don’t know how to broach the subject of vac schemes with my managers and whether I would contractually be able to do them? I imagine this is organisation specific but if anyone has advice with working for the civil service and doing a vac scheme I’d appreciate it!

Reactions: Deleted member 5185

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Does doing a vac scheme count as a second job? I’m working full time (and still on probation) so I don’t know how to broach the subject of vac schemes with my managers and whether I would contractually be able to do them? I imagine this is organisation specific but if anyone has advice with working for the civil service and doing a vac scheme I’d appreciate it!

Yes - you are employed. Civil service tend to be one of the stricter employers on this unfortunately.

FM302989

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Oct 16, 2020
    Hi @Jessica Booker, I applied earlier for King & Spalding's March/Sept 2020 TC before their 31 July 2020 deadline, yet have heard nothing back from them. I have just seen they are now recruiting for their March/Sept 2020 TC's with another deadline of 31 December 2020. The questions for the new 31 Dec 2020 TC are the same as the 31 July 2020 TC application.

I have emailed recruitment asking when we can expect rejections, but heard nothing. Should I assume I've been flat-out rejected, or that they've paused recruiting? I ask as I don't know whether I should use my 31 Jul answers for the new 31 Dec TC application?

I also applied for King & Spalding over summer and have had no update, you're not alone

• 🤝
    Reactions: csyn

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Sorry just saw this and wanted to ask what it means. If you are currently employed is it not possible to take holiday in order to complete a vac scheme ?

Employment contracts will have a clause where you have to declare other forms of employment. This is pretty standard for anything that isn’t informal/part time work/ad hoc work.

Most employment contracts will even clearly state you cannot engage in any other forms of employment unless it is approved by your employer. There are a multitude of reasons for this - but mainly it is to ensure there are no conflicts of interest.

Some people do manage to get approval from their employers to attend things like vacation schemes. But many more won’t. Particular issues will be civil service (or are much more highly regulated/audited and have a higher number of risks) and also if you are working in competitor law firms. These are much more likely to cause conflicts of interest and therefore your current employer is less likely to approve, and your vacation scheme employer may also have concerns too.

It’s a bit like being married and then saying to your spouse is it ok if you have a two week relationship with someone else, as you think they may be your future spouse because they are better. You can choose to take the time out to do this, just don’t expect those you have committed to approve of it, and expect some potential consequences if you go behind their back and do it anyway (you would be in breach of your employment contract).

SouffléSouffléSoufflé

Valued Member
    Future Trainee
    Mar 17, 2020
    Hello, have just been invited to the next stage for Simmons & Simmons, including their video interview and written exercise (I think this is a new element)! Does anyone have any advice in relation to this? :)

Congrats! Me too- I'm also a bit nervous about this mysterious new written exercise. I've only ever done one "recorded" video interview before, so I would be really grateful if anyone had any advice on this :)

NLaw18

Star Member
    Feb 27, 2020
    It is different if you are an international student studying in the U.K. Then a visa is straight forward and as of next June will be the case even if you have graduated in the last 2 years.

Look to whether you are eligible for a youth mobility visa - will depend on your home country, but this is one way you can work in the U.K. Its just you will need to pay for it

Thanks for that! Unfortunately, I do not fall in the list of countries for the youth mobility visa. I was an International student studying in the UK but I already finished my LPC this July and as far as I was aware, the new visa rules apply for those who have started their course September or is my understanding wrong and it even predates those who have graduated before? I would love to find out more if that is the case.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Thanks for that! Unfortunately, I do not fall in the list of countries for the youth mobility visa. I was an International student studying in the UK but I already finished my LPC this July and as far as I was aware, the new visa rules apply for those who have started their course September or is my understanding wrong and it even predates those who have graduated before? I would love to find out more if that is the case.

Unfortunately it only applies to people who are currently studying.

Reactions: NLaw18

whisperingrock

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
  • Sep 12, 2020

You likely qualify under the Tier 5 - Government authorised exchange: https://www.gov.uk/tier-5-government-authorised-exchange. Read up on that and if you have questions DM me. I don't qualify for youth mobility either but plan to stay in the UK after my visa expires in January on this form of Tier 5.

Reactions: NLaw18

LS12

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Apr 22, 2020
    Is there a list of firms who offer direct training contract applications anywhere? Or can anyone signpost me to any resources without me having to check out every firms website?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.