General Discussion Thread 2020-21

Status
Not open for further replies.

Velikilawyer123

Legendary Member
M&A Bootcamp
Junior Lawyer 37
Mar 4, 2020
@Jessica Booker I'm currently filling out an application form for a firm and I can't fit all of my pre-university exams in the provided space (I'm an international student and we had 14 exams on our A-level equivalent, yet the space provided only allows for 9). There is an extenuating circumstances spaces right after it - do you think it would be fine if I used this box to continue listing my 5 remaining exam grades? Of course with an explanation like "I could not fit all of my exam results in the above space. Please find the rest of my results below.".

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
@Jessica Booker I'm currently filling out an application form for a firm and I can't fit all of my pre-university exams in the provided space (I'm an international student and we had 14 exams on our A-level equivalent, yet the space provided only allows for 9). There is an extenuating circumstances spaces right after it - do you think it would be fine if I used this box to continue listing my 5 remaining exam grades? Of course with an explanation like "I could not fit all of my exam results in the above space. Please find the rest of my results below.".

that is fine to do what you have suggested

JWT

Nov 7, 2020
Does anyone feel like they are losing hope this application cycle? This is my second application cycle and I've already gotten a few rejections from what I thought were strong applications. To make things worse, I've spotted two mistakes on an application (despite me checking it a hundred times) I submitted to my dream firm so I kind of know that I'm going to get rejected. Sorry for the pity party but just spotting those mistakes just makes me feel like maybe I'm not good enough to be a lawyer if I can't even spot mistakes on something so important to me!

Sorry about this, just needed a place to rant!

arbitracion

Star Member
  • Sep 28, 2020
    Hi guys, I noticed this question in my Baker McKenzie application: Please list other work experience or career events you have attended (this can include open days).
    Does this mean I can include virtual events/presentations?

OB

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 10, 2020
    Does anyone feel like they are losing hope this application cycle? This is my second application cycle and I've already gotten a few rejections from what I thought were strong applications. To make things worse, I've spotted two mistakes on an application (despite me checking it a hundred times) I submitted to my dream firm so I kind of know that I'm going to get rejected. Sorry for the pity party but just spotting those mistakes just makes me feel like maybe I'm not good enough to be a lawyer if I can't even spot mistakes on something so important to me!

I like to draw back on the phrase my driving instructor used to say to me when I was learning to drive. You haven’t failed until you’ve actually failed. E.g. if you think you’ve made a mistake early on in the test, keep driving perfectly! One of his students thought they failed and then got sloppy with their driving and it was the subsequent driving that caused them to fail!

We’re still quite early on in the application cycle. You don’t know if those mistakes will cause you to be rejected. Now you’ve noticed these mistakes you’ll know what to look for in your subsequent apps! You’ve got this ❤️

whisperingrock

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
  • Sep 12, 2020

I'm sorry you're feeling so down. I know the feeling because this is the first of three cycles I've gotten anything from my applications (barring one AC last year). As an example to maybe give you hope, two weeks ago half the firms I had applied to rejected me at app stage and I was miserably depressed, but two pulled through and I actually had to turn down a firm today for their WVS. I never would've expected these firms to be the ones to interview me, so you never know which apps are the strong ones. I also caught a few fat typos in the app for the firm I turned down so it's not the death knell it might seem when you spot it and it doesn't mean you don't have what it takes.

I guess all you can do is keep pushing. I'm not a very positive person in general, so I definitely didn't manifest anything or believe in myself and I can't really recommend it unless its something you know works for you. When I need to motivate, I just keep trying to remind myself that I either keep going or there will never be a chance at all. You've already put in the work by applying in the first place, and you've probably learned a lot in the process. The waiting sucks and everyone else being chosen sucks, but you either keep trying or you give up. And neither is the wrong decision, its just one you have to make for yourself.

Last edited:

matpart

Star Member
    Jan 2, 2020
    Baker McKenzie ask the following in their app: "Please tell us what you consider to be your key achievements and interests to date. (300 words)"

Can this be bulletpointed or do they expect a long answer?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.