Having trouble linking experiences to firm's practice areas.

Mash239

Oct 11, 2019
Hey everyone I'm having some issues linking my personal experiences to the firm's core practice areas. Two areas I am keen on are M&A and PE. I am taking modules in M&A now which are interesting, and I also completed an InsideSherpa experience. What I usually do is that I say the firm is great at PE/M&A and then I say I am interested because of my experiences, but I can't elaborate because I can't put my finger on why they are interesting. There are just some things that just click your mind right?

How would you link your experiences to the firm's practice areas to show why the firm appeals to you?

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hey everyone I'm having some issues linking my personal experiences to the firm's core practice areas. Two areas I am keen on are M&A and PE. I am taking modules in M&A now which are interesting, and I also completed an InsideSherpa experience. What I usually do is that I say the firm is great at PE/M&A and then I say I am interested because of my experiences, but I can't elaborate because I can't put my finger on why they are interesting. There are just some things that just click your mind right?

How would you link your experiences to the firm's practice areas to show why the firm appeals to you?

You're doing exactly the right things.

It is often very hard to articulate why something is interesting. That's why many candidates don't do this, or they repeat a point they've read elsewhere. If you want to write a particularly convincing answer, I'd encourage you to take the time to explore why you are interested in M&A/PE based on your experiences. It might take some time, but you will be able to get there, and you'll likely end up with an authentic and original answer.

Reactions: Jessica Booker

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    There is a concept called the 7 levels of why.

Basically if you are stuck on why something is of interest or important to you, ask yourself why up to 7 times. Each time you will find a different layer. You usually find that by the time you get to level 4 or 5 your rationale is more unique and specific.

• ℹ️
    Reactions: CT, Lumree and Jaysen

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.