Hearing Back from Firms + AC & Interview Tips Share - 2018 - 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yminh

Star Member
Premium Member
Sep 25, 2018
Thank you! I requested and just received my test report. It looks like I passed, but at the same time I can't help to think that my individual percentile for one of the REDs played a role in their decision making in conjunction with my application answers. Was placed in the high percentiles for the Recognising Assumption and Evaluating Argument bit (70-80+ percentile) and scored 30/40 correct answers.

However, I scored really low and a horrible mark for the Drawing Conclusion bit (below 10 percentile) - which I felt brought down my overall percentile to fortunately meeting their average benchmark. Practised for a week and minimum 1 hour a day, but it looks like I need to practise more in case my scores affect future applications.
looks like drawing conclusion is the area that trip applicants. it's also my weakest performance (30-40 percentile). Heads up to anyone practising for WG, you may want to focus particularly on this segment of the test!

Naomi

Esteemed Member
Premium Member
Oct 14, 2018
Just received an invite for Weil video interview post completing the WG yesterday. Happy to share the tips I picked up for them if anyone needs - practiced solidly for a day and a half and drove myself mad doing so!

Any tips for the video interview/any experiences of it? Would be much appreciated! It's the first firm I've heard back from this cycle so nervous is an understatement.

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
Trainee
Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    No problem! I just did a Google search and found quite a few but ended up using this one: https://www.practiceaptitudetests.com/verbal-reasoning-tests/
    After all that I passed the HSF test! Seems I worried over nothing/prepared well for it. Now the waiting game begins...

On that note, has anyone heard back from BCLP and/or Bird and Bird? I completed their tests well over a month ago and have not heard a thing...

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Just received an invite for Weil video interview post completing the WG yesterday. Happy to share the tips I picked up for them if anyone needs - practiced solidly for a day and a half and drove myself mad doing so!

Any tips for the video interview/any experiences of it? Would be much appreciated! It's the first firm I've heard back from this cycle so nervous is an understatement.

"4 questions and 1 minute to answer each. Focus your preparation on the basics: why law, why the firm, skill-set and commercial awareness." (From a student on here, not sure if she wanted to stay anonymous.)

There's also a couple of comments from this thread in August: https://www.thecorporatelawacademy....irm-interview-experiences.28/page-2#post-1556

Helena

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Feb 28, 2018

You practiced the WG for a day and a half? Can you share tips on that as this is my worst type of test - did you buy practice ones? Thanks

Catherine

Distinguished Member
    Nov 28, 2018
    Has anyone heard back from Travers Smith recently for winter vacation scheme? It starts on 10th and still not heard anything!

I contacted them last Monday and they said they were still reviewing applications. Do you think it’s worth following up again? As I have a potential job starting soon and I need to let them know if I need the time off!

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    Just been invited to do a video interview with Bird & Bird - anyone done one with this firm before? I was going to prepare the standard 'Why law?', 'Why Bird & Bird?', a few competency questions and a commercial topic... would that be sufficient or is there something else I should include? Any hints/tips/experiences about video interviews in general would also be appreciated :)

Last edited:

Lawgirlxo

Esteemed Member
    Future Trainee
    Jun 20, 2018
    Just been invited to do a video interview with Bird & Bird - anyone done one with this firm before? I was going to prepare the standard 'Why law?', 'Why Bird & Bird?', a few competency questions and a commercial topic... would that be sufficient or is there something else I should include?

A time when you were innovative/creative. Something along the innovative line because they are huge on tech.

Reactions: Jaysen

Salma

Legendary Member
    Feb 28, 2018
    That would be amazing thank you so much Salma! :)

Hey Daniel, they mentioned the following:

The VI comes in three parts:

1. Competency questions - prepare the typical ones, time pressure, communication, organisation etc
    2. Strength based questions - questions such as have you ever want to quit something?
    3. Commercial questions - where should we open an office next and why? What trends are affecting our sectors etc

I hope this helps

And good luck :)

• 🏆
    Reactions: Daniel Boden and Jaysen

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    Hey Daniel, they mentioned the following:

The VI comes in three parts:

1. Competency questions - prepare the typical ones, time pressure, communication, organisation etc
    2. Strength based questions - questions such as have you ever want to quit something?
    3. Commercial questions - where should we open an office next and why? What trends are affecting our sectors etc

I hope this helps

And good luck :)
    Thanks a lot! Any idea how many there are? It says it'll take 15 minutes in total...

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    Honestly I don’t know but I would assume 3 questions for each part? 60 secs to prepare and
    90 secs to speak!

15mins though, that’s horrendous :(
    So I just asked Bird & Bird's grad rec team and they said that the structure for the video interview was 4 competency and strength based questions which seems fairly reasonable. Probably worth preparing a commercial question in case though!

Salma

Legendary Member
    Feb 28, 2018
    So I just asked Bird & Bird's grad rec team and they said that the structure for the video interview was 4 competency and strength based questions which seems fairly reasonable. Probably worth preparing a commercial question in case though!

Useful advice, thanks Daniel! Glad to hear the structure for the VI is somewhat the same as last year and I agree with the point on the commercial question. It is always best to prepare to the fullest.

Good luck with it all :)

• 🤝
    Reactions: Daniel Boden
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.