Status
Not open for further replies.

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
Nope not yet. Agreed handling the nerves is important. Easier said than done I know, as I feel the same.
Do let me know how you get on and good luck! I messed up my CMS interview yesterday because of nerves but do feel I will perform better in person once I have eased myself into the situation :)

Reactions: J Malone

Maccie

Future Trainee
Sep 22, 2018
Hi everyone! I have been talking to a few people on private messages lately and I know some of you have felt let down by disappointing outcomes in this whole application process. I quite like comparing this to The Apprentice: a truly nerve-wracking process, involving intense competition and requiring so much effort for an uncertain outcome where it sometimes feels that the odds are against you. I felt like I had to share my short story here.

In March 2018, I was finally confident I wanted to become a solicitor and apply for training contracts: I thus started directly applying for training contracts at a number of law firms. And by "a number", I mean 35. Most of you have been here long enough to know my whole approach was a mistake and my applications were indeed so terrible at the time. In September, I got my head back in the game and started spending significantly more time per application, having many people give me advice, reading through this forum and I accepted that going to the pub one less time in the week was a fair sacrifice for my future (but do not feel obliged to do so; keeping a social life is a good way to remain sane!). And that did not work: I sent 8 applications and I received 7 more rejections. At that point, I kept applying because I'm the kind of person who refuses to give up and I would have submitted another hundred of applications before giving up but my hope was gone, in the cemetery of hopes, buried right next to Theresa May's hope for a Brexit deal.

However, you've probably done the maths by now: out of 8 applications, 7 rejections means one firm invited me to take a Watson Glaser test. It was a firm I held in very high regard: I had met them on campus a few times, I knew they were a perfect cultural fit, they offered work I could only dream of doing and they are leaders in many fields. In fact, I liked the firm so much that I had little hope when sending my application: why would they pick mine, the seven-time reject, out of 3900 applicants every year? I had somewhat accepted that my dream firm was not an option and that I would have to settle for less. Yet, here I was, taking a Watson Glaser test for that firm. I had already spent a lot of time practicing for these, so I took it rather quickly. 24 hours later, I was invited to an assessment centre to be held a week later: after so many rejections, I could not let that chance get away, so I locked myself in my room for a week and prepared as hard as I could, trying to focus on that one objective and not be distracted. There is also this one sentence I read on this forum that stuck with me from the moment I was invited to an AC: 'it only takes one.' I swear these four words have stuck with me ever since I read them. I had an amazing day there. And two days later, I got a phone call: you're being offered a place on our vacation scheme. 3 weeks later, I'm walking in, and, fast-forward another two of the most amazing weeks of my life (and probably the most painful wait too), I get a phone call: I'm being offered a training contract by the firm I had no dreams of even getting into for an open day. And at that point, all of a sudden, all these rejections have left my mind and I could not care less that other firms had rejected me (their loss!)

My point is that it is sometimes good to believe in faith: it takes a lot of courage, strength and a bit of luck to get there but I have no doubt that, eventually, you will. Believe in yourselves and remember: it may take more than one assessment centre, more than one Watson Glaser, more than one description of 'a time when you had to face a challenge' but in the end, it will have only taken one. It takes one firm to say yes. If you wanna discuss anything, I'm always happy to answer my private messages but, in the meantime, during this nerve-racking process, try to always keep these words in the back of your mind: it only takes one.

Hazal

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Sep 25, 2018
Unfortunately just found out I have been rejected from Macfarlanes post-AC. A bit gutted as I thought the day went pretty well considering it was my first ever AC but one of those things. Going to have a feedback call later today of which I'll share the pointers with you guys as it may help those who have upcoming ACs. Not feeling too down, however, as I enjoyed the day and am much the better for going through this experience. Moreover, I still have a couple of ACs coming up with other firms so now am more motivated than ever to do well in those! Best of luck to those who have ACs this week and thereafter :)
Sorry to hear that Daniel :( Wish you the best of luck for your upcoming ACs!!

• 🤝
Reactions: Daniel Boden

Hazal

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Sep 25, 2018
Hi everyone! I have been talking to a few people on private messages lately and I know some of you have felt let down by disappointing outcomes in this whole application process. I quite like comparing this to The Apprentice: a truly nerve-wracking process, involving intense competition and requiring so much effort for an uncertain outcome where it sometimes feels that the odds are against you. I felt like I had to share my short story here.

In March 2018, I was finally confident I wanted to become a solicitor and apply for training contracts: I thus started directly applying for training contracts at a number of law firms. And by "a number", I mean 35. Most of you have been here long enough to know my whole approach was a mistake and my applications were indeed so terrible at the time. In September, I got my head back in the game and started spending significantly more time per application, having many people give me advice, reading through this forum and I accepted that going to the pub one less time in the week was a fair sacrifice for my future (but do not feel obliged to do so; keeping a social life is a good way to remain sane!). And that did not work: I sent 8 applications and I received 7 more rejections. At that point, I kept applying because I'm the kind of person who refuses to give up and I would have submitted another hundred of applications before giving up but my hope was gone, in the cemetery of hopes, buried right next to Theresa May's hope for a Brexit deal.

However, you've probably done the maths by now: out of 8 applications, 7 rejections means one firm invited me to take a Watson Glaser test. It was a firm I held in very high regard: I had met them on campus a few times, I knew they were a perfect cultural fit, they offered work I could only dream of doing and they are leaders in many fields. In fact, I liked the firm so much that I had little hope when sending my application: why would they pick mine, the seven-time reject, out of 3900 applicants every year? I had somewhat accepted that my dream firm was not an option and that I would have to settle for less. Yet, here I was, taking a Watson Glaser test for that firm. I had already spent a lot of time practicing for these, so I took it rather quickly. 24 hours later, I was invited to an assessment centre to be held a week later: after so many rejections, I could not let that chance get away, so I locked myself in my room for a week and prepared as hard as I could, trying to focus on that one objective and not be distracted. There is also this one sentence I read on this forum that stuck with me from the moment I was invited to an AC: 'it only takes one.' I swear these four words have stuck with me ever since I read them. I had an amazing day there. And two days later, I got a phone call: you're being offered a place on our vacation scheme. 3 weeks later, I'm walking in, and, fast-forward another two of the most amazing weeks of my life (and probably the most painful wait too), I get a phone call: I'm being offered a training contract by the firm I had no dreams of even getting into for an open day. And at that point, all of a sudden, all these rejections have left my mind and I could not care less that other firms had rejected me (their loss!)

My point is that it is sometimes good to believe in faith: it takes a lot of courage, strength and a bit of luck to get there but I have no doubt that, eventually, you will. Believe in yourselves and remember: it may take more than one assessment centre, more than one Watson Glaser, more than one description of 'a time when you had to face a challenge' but in the end, it will have only taken one. It takes one firm to say yes. If you wanna discuss anything, I'm always happy to answer my private messages but, in the meantime, during this nerve-racking process, try to always keep these words in the back of your mind: it only takes one.
Thank you Maccie for sharing this! Seems like you poured your heart out into this and your applications too. I am also motivated by the same idea - it only takes one!

• 🤝
Reactions: Maccie

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018

Fantastic story, thank you for sharing - and really well told! Well done! Mind if we circulate this via email tomorrow?

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018

This is so good to read - delighted for you @Maccie! Many, many congratulations :)

• 🤝
    Reactions: Maccie

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Was trying to put a positive spin on things. But I forgot to mention Firm C, which rejected me directly after submitting an application. But in their rejection email, thanked me for attending a recent interview where they enjoyed meeting me.

*** I never attended an interview unless I’ve lost my memory!!

I must be cursed.

I suppose at least the other two turned out to be good news. Imagine if you received an interview invite only for the firm to tell you it was a mistake!

Selina

Star Member
    Oct 1, 2018
    Unfortunately just found out I have been rejected from Macfarlanes post-AC. A bit gutted as I thought the day went pretty well considering it was my first ever AC but one of those things. Going to have a feedback call later today or tomorrow of which I'll share the pointers with you guys as it may help those who have upcoming ACs. Not feeling too down, however, as I enjoyed the day and am much the better for going through this experience. Moreover, I still have a couple of ACs coming up with other firms so now am more motivated than ever to do well in those! Best of luck to those who have ACs this week and thereafter :)

Sorry to hear that Daniel - it's admirable that you've kept such a positive stance towards the whole experience! Best of luck for your other applications :)

• 🤝
    Reactions: Daniel Boden

Selina

Star Member
    Oct 1, 2018

Many congratulations Maccie! I remember reading your post after your VS offer too so I'm very glad that it all worked out! Thank you for your advice, very eloquently written and it's always lovely to read stories like this :)

• 🤝
    Reactions: Helena and Maccie

Selina

Star Member
    Oct 1, 2018
    Oh. My. God. I got an invite to Debevoise & Plimpton’s Open Day, where we get assessed for vacation schemes. I cried and forgot to finish my meal. I’ve been feeling daunted by January deadlines and doubting my competitiveness as a candidate. This is piece of good news is really what I needed.

Congratulations!!! I heard back from them today too and was so shocked that I nearly forgot to get off the train at my station! Already very nervous since it's my first AC ever but maybe I'll see you there - meeting a friendly face would help haha :)

PMF_II

Star Member
    Mar 1, 2018
    I suppose at least the other two turned out to be good news. Imagine if you received an interview invite only for the firm to tell you it was a mistake!

Well, then may I add a firm D who offered me a place at one of their Open Days then told me it was a mistake due to a technical issue. ;)

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    Oh. My. God. I got an invite to Debevoise & Plimpton’s Open Day, where we get assessed for vacation schemes. I cried and forgot to finish my meal. I’ve been feeling daunted by January deadlines and doubting my competitiveness as a candidate. This is piece of good news is really what I needed.
    Congrats Dolores! Best of luck for it :)

PMF_II

Star Member
    Mar 1, 2018
    That really is terrible! How did they phrase their email?
    "We are very sorry but this email was sent in error and we are unable to offer you a place on this occasion." Since that incident, every time I receive an email from a firm, I wait for at least two hours to be 100% sure that it wasn't sent by mistake. I remember when I received an open day invitation from another firm later, I kept thinking they might take it away from me! Until I went to the event and could reassure myself that it was real.

Wow, that must have been super embarrassing for the firm and not fair on you either!
    I think they should add it to their scenario-based interview if they plan to have one in the future.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.