Hearing Back from Firms + AC & Interview Tips Share - 2018 - 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mohammed

Star Member
Junior Lawyer
Oct 30, 2018
I would always give an example to be safe after initially answering the question directly solely to ensure I hit the STAR requirements of a good answer :)

Thanks! That actually makes sense :).

Also, I realise that some questions may take longer to answer, but how long should a competency answer be approximately? At what time, does it become too long?

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
Trainee
Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    Thanks! That actually makes sense :).

Also, I realise that some questions may take longer to answer, but how long should a competency answer be approximately? At what time, does it become too long?
    Personally, I think anytime you're talking for perhaps longer than 2 minutes then it's probably too long

Salma

Legendary Member
    Feb 28, 2018
    Hey, has anyone heard back from Norton Rose Fulbright (Easter vacation scheme) or Latham & Watkins?

Lathams is non-rolling, from my past application/AC with them last year, they progress applicants to a video interview one week after the app deadline (which I believe was on the 6th) and shortly after (give it one week/two weeks) to the next stage (AC). They are very prompt, so not to long of a wait. Good Luck ;)

Roch1234

Distinguished Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 14, 2018
    Lathams is non-rolling, from my past application/AC with them last year, they progress applicants to a video interview one week after the app deadline (which I believe was on the 6th) and shortly after (give it one week/two weeks) to the next stage (AC). They are very prompt, so not to long of a wait. Good Luck ;)
    Oh I had no idea! Thanks so much :)

Reactions: Salma

Selina

Star Member
    Oct 1, 2018
    To anyone thinking of applying to Mayer Brown - at the Open Day today, Grad Rec said that they consider applications right up to the deadline even though they recruit on a rolling basis! I.e. it's not too late to apply :)

Reactions: Jaysen and Roch1234

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    Unfortunately just found out I have been rejected from Macfarlanes post-AC. A bit gutted as I thought the day went pretty well considering it was my first ever AC but one of those things. Going to have a feedback call later today or tomorrow of which I'll share the pointers with you guys as it may help those who have upcoming ACs. Not feeling too down, however, as I enjoyed the day and am much the better for going through this experience. Moreover, I still have a couple of ACs coming up with other firms so now am more motivated than ever to do well in those! Best of luck to those who have ACs this week and thereafter :)

Last edited:

Abstruser

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Jul 19, 2018
    Unfortunately just found out I have been rejected from Macfarlanes post-AC. A bit gutted as I thought the day went pretty well considering it was my first ever AC but one of those things. Going to have a feedback call later today of which I'll share the pointers with you guys as it may help those who have upcoming ACs. Not feeling too down, however, as I enjoyed the day and am much the better for going through this experience. Moreover, I still have a couple of ACs coming up with other firms so now am more motivated than ever to do well in those! Best of luck to those who have ACs this week and thereafter :)

You can only get better from here on! All the best with your next AC :)

• 🤝
    Reactions: Daniel Boden

Helena

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Feb 28, 2018
    Unfortunately just found out I have been rejected from Macfarlanes post-AC. A bit gutted as I thought the day went pretty well considering it was my first ever AC but one of those things. Going to have a feedback call later today of which I'll share the pointers with you guys as it may help those who have upcoming ACs. Not feeling too down, however, as I enjoyed the day and am much the better for going through this experience. Moreover, I still have a couple of ACs coming up with other firms so now am more motivated than ever to do well in those! Best of luck to those who have ACs this week and thereafter :)
    Daniel, I am so sorry to hear that. You have a great attitude to it and you are right that the experience makes you stronger and wiser for the next one. What was the AC like? I have heard Macfarlanes is quite intense.

• 🤝

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    Daniel, I am so sorry to hear that. You have a great attitude to it and you are right that the experience makes you stronger and wiser for the next one. What was the AC like? I have heard Macfarlanes is quite intense.
    Yeah, it was intense - I was knackered when I got home. 9:15 am - 4 pm is a long one! I found it fine apart from the partner interview where I found the case study part pretty challenging but the competency part of it was fine. Other than that the rest of the day was fairly reasonable if tiring I think

Reactions: Helena

_Will_

Star Member
    Jan 7, 2019

Sorry to hear Daniel! See it as invaluable practice for future ACs though -- I'm sure you will have learnt a lot just from participating in the day.

Best of luck for your upcoming ACs!

• 🤝

AJ

Legendary Member
    Sep 11, 2018

Sorry to hear!!! But yes it’s good practice!! Means you’re on the right path.

• 🤝

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    Has anybody heard from CC yet? There’s quite a lot of speculation about what an updated submission may or may not mean on their portal. I’m just anxious to know either way now.

Reactions: _Will_

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    I'm team 'updated submission'... :confused: Yet to receive any kind of email though.
    I am too, mine was updated yesterday. There are only two people I can tell so far who have had any correspondence at all and they have both had AC invites, but there doesn't seem to have been a flurry of emails just yet. It's an awful waiting game.

Reactions: _Will_
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.