Hearing Back from Firms + AC & Interview Tips Share - 2018 - 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Catherine

Distinguished Member
Nov 28, 2018
Has anyone gone through the Mishcon video interview? A friend is going through her first VI and any insight into what the VI looks like would be greatly appreciated! :)
From what I can remember they ask three questions, you are able to take your time between questions I think and can regroup a bit before starting the next.Once you start each question I think you have 30 seconds to think before they record each answer.

Hannah El-Gazzar

Feb 18, 2019
When would it be appropriate to email a firm about the outcome of your application? I applied to Reed Smith in the beginning of December, did not hear anything from them except an email that they had a large number of application at half January. but I have heard from people that applied after me and did get an invitation to a test?

The same thing is happening to me atm! did you email RS? I went to their open day last week though and they said this year they had the most applications they've ever had tbf!

Hannah El-Gazzar

Feb 18, 2019
Has anyone gone through the Mishcon video interview? A friend is going through her first VI and any insight into what the VI looks like would be greatly appreciated! :)

Hey! Yes I can help with Mishcon - basically I got 3 questions which were all competency, in particular teamwork came up and what I could offer the firm. Just have the firms values by your side and plan some competency style answers. You have 90 seconds to answer the questions (may need to double check this), so I advise practising to time if you can. Smile ofc also, they want to see an enthusiastic candidate too! if you have any more questions/ get farther in the process feel free to ask more Qs :)

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    After 7 rejections this application round I have finally been invited to my first AC at Dechert next week. These forums have been so helpful in developing my application technique. AC are a new challenge, does anyone have any tips for a first timer? It will be a written exercise and a partner interview.

Amazing, well done. That's quite a nice AC structure (at least in terms of the number of activities you need to do).

Written exercise:
    • Interviewers are looking to see your ability to analyse documents, pay attention to detail and write clearly. Keep this in mind as you begin the exercise.
    • If there's a lot of information, forget about reading everything in detail. You need to have the confidence to discard irrelevant information. Skim through any information that doesn't seem important (e.g., background information) and focus on what seems relevant (e.g., finances, legal issues etc.). If you have time, you can go back through the stuff you skimmed over.
    • Use highlighters/tabs to mark the important pieces of information. This will save time if you need to go back to these sections as you are writing.
    • It's not about writing as much information as you can, it's about your ability to concisely explain the important issues. Spend time planning and then write your answer. It doesn't need to be very long, it just needs to cover the important information.
    • Pick up the easy marks by checking the suggested format and appropriate addressee for your answer. Do you need to write a letter or a memo? If it's the former, remember to write out the addresses and sign off appropriately.
    • Work out who you are supposed to be writing to and adapt your writing accordingly. If it's to a client, cut out the legalese and think about how you can explain the technical information clearly. Assume the client knows nothing about the law unless the task says otherwise. Remember the client wants the information quickly, so think about putting a summary at the beginning of your answer and the next steps at the end. If you are writing to a lawyer, many of these points still apply, but you can give a more technical answer.
    • Write clearly: use short sentences, short paragraphs and simple language. This is SO important. Many candidates are used to writing essays, so their writing is complicated, long-winded and hard to follow. A relatively easy way to begin adjusting to this writing style is to write like you speak. This will help to swing your writing the other way, but keep an eye on informal language.
    • Don't waffle. Get to the point quickly. Make sure every sentence has substance.
    • Don't let time control your answer. Plan your time during your preparation stage. Make sure you're finished with time to spare to go over your answer. This isn't like an essay - if you don't finish, the client/lawyer won't be happy.
    Partner interview:
    • Try to build a rapport with the partner. This means breaking out of interview mode and trying to make it more of a conversation and less of an interrogation. This is not easy, however, we've found in our mock interviews that asking a candidate to repeat an answer as if they were speaking with a friend can work wonders for an interview answer.
    • Be enthusiastic. Switch on for the one hour interview and make an effort to be talkative and interested. Half the battle is how you deliver your answers. (Although don't go overboard with this, there's no need to be someone you're not.)
    • Partner interviews are usually less checkbox-y. Read over your application form as that's often a good place for them to start. Try to think about the questions you will be asked.
    • Interviews often begin with a chat and then "why this firm?" and "why commercial law?". You should nail these answers as they can set the tone for the rest of the interview.
    • If the partner pushes you with questions on a topical issue, try to hold your ground. Pause and clearly defend your answers. However, you can be honest: if you feel you've changed your mind, or you agree with the partner, or you simply don't know, it's OK to say that.
    • When answering difficult questions, you can buy a little time by taking a sip of water or saying: "Can I have a second to think about that?". The latter question shows some consideration and professionalism.
    • Practice competency questions using our list of 175 interview questions: https://www.thecorporatelawacademy.com/175-training-contract-interview-questions/
    • Read this: https://www.thecorporatelawacademy.com/mergers-and-acquisitions-case-study/
    • Think about some of the more challenging questions you could be asked: "Where should we open our next office?" or "What are the challenges facing our firm over the next five years?".
    • Practice your answers out loud or with a friend. Quite often, we see candidates practice in their head but then they struggle to articulate their answers aloud.
    • Prepare a news story that interests you. Be aware of the possible follow up questions that could be asked.
    That's all I can think of for now, I'll update this list if I have more!

Didi

Oct 31, 2018
    Amazing, well done. That's quite a nice AC structure (at least in terms of the number of activities you need to do).

Written exercise:
    • Remember, they're looking to see your ability to analyse documents, pay attention to detail and write clearly. Keep this in mind as you begin the exercise.
    • If there's a lot of information, forget about reading everything in detail. You need to have the confidence to discard irrelevant information. Skim through the stuff that doesn't seem important and focus on what seems relevant. If you have time, you can go back to the stuff you skimmed.
    • Use highlighters/tabs to mark the important pieces of information. This will save time if you need to go back to these sections as you are writing.
    • It's not about writing as much information as you can, it's about your ability to concisely explain the important issues. Spend time planning and then write your answer. It doesn't need to be very long, it just needs to cover the important information.
    • Pick up the easy marks by checking the suggested format and appropriate addressee for your answer. Do you need to write a letter or a memo? If it's the former, remember to write out the addresses and sign off appropriately.
    • Work out who you are supposed to be writing to and adapt your writing accordingly. If it's to a client, cut out the legalese and think about how you can explain the technical information clearly. Assume the client knows nothing about the law unless the task says otherwise. Remember the client wants the information quickly, so think about putting a summary at the beginning of your answer and the next steps at the end. If you are writing to a lawyer, many of these points still apply, but you can give a more technical answer.
    • Write clearly: use short sentences, short paragraphs and simple language. This is SO important. Many candidates are used to writing essays, so their writing is complicated, long-winded and hard to follow. A relatively easy way to begin adjusting to this writing style is to write like you speak. This will help to swing your writing the other way, but keep an eye on informal language.
    • Don't waffle. Get to the point quickly. Make sure every sentence has substance.
    • Don't let time control your answer. Plan your time during your preparation stage. Make sure you're finished with time to spare to go over your answer. This isn't like an essay - if you don't finish, the client/lawyer won't be happy.
    Partner interview:
    • Try to build a rapport with the partner. This means breaking out of interview mode and trying to make it more of a conversation and less of an interrogation. This is not easy, however, I've found in our mock interviews that asking a candidate to repeat an answer as if they were speaking with a friend can work wonders for an interview answer.
    • Be enthusiastic. Switch on for the one hour and make an effort to be talkative and interested. Half the battle is how you deliver your answers.
    • Partner interviews are usually less checkbox-y. Read over your application form as that's often a good place they'll start and try to think about the questions you will be asked.
    • Interviews often begin with a chat and then "why Dechert?" and "why commercial law?". Try to nail these answers as they can set the tone for the rest of the interview.
    • If the partner pushes you with questions on a topical issue, try to hold your ground. Pause and clearly defend your answers. However, you can be honest: if you feel you've changed your mind or you agree with the partner or you're not sure, it's OK to say that.
    • When answering difficult questions, you can buy a little time by taking a sip of water or saying: "Can I have a second to think about that?". The latter question shows some consideration and professionalism.
    • Practice competency questions here: https://www.thecorporatelawacademy.com/175-training-contract-interview-questions/
    • Read this: https://www.thecorporatelawacademy.com/mergers-and-acquisitions-case-study/
    • Think about some of the more challenging questions you could be asked: "Where should Dechert open its next office?" or "What are the challenges facing Dechert over the next five years?".
    • Practice your answers out loud or with a friend. Quite often I see candidates practice in their head, but they struggle to articulate their answers clearly.
    • Prepare a news story that interests you. Be aware of the possible follow up questions that could be asked.
    That's all I can think of for now, I'll update this list if I have more!

Thank you so much Jaysen!

Reactions: Jaysen

Sandrou

Esteemed Member
    Feb 28, 2018
    Thank you so much Jaysen!

Hey massive congratulations!

To add on to this, I believe the written task will be a hand written one (old fashioned). So as Jaysen alluded to above, make sure you avoide spelling errors and write clearly and simple.

Question: is there not a case study exercise or is this now included in the partner interview? In any case, I suggest you brush up on the basics of a contract, i.e if you were given a lease contract in the context of a real estate deal, which clauses would be the most important for your client and what might you change for the benefit of your client if given the chance? Consider clauses re the price, repayment date, default clauses etc. Ultimately, try and use your common sense and think about what will be most important to your client.

From my experience there wasn’t many competency or strength based questions however you should still use the STAR method and try and sell your skills if given the opportunity and where appropriate. The Assessment Centre is HEAVILY based around ones commercial awareness therefore brush up on this and be prepared to offer your views and potentially linking them to Dechert as a firm and as a BUSINESS.

Further, I note you will likely be asked to talk through a typical M&A deal. You should make sure you know the basics as well as mentioning which other areas of law may be involved I.e, IP, tax, corporate etc and try and explain why these sectors will be relevant to an M&A deal (use your commercial awareness by taking into account cost saving measures that an international firm like Dechert can offer by bringing together different sectors to compliment The clients’ needs).

Separately - I would also prepare for a question in respect to the other firm’s you’ve applied to and how they differentiate from Dechert and how Dechert suits your skills, interest, ambition etc.

Further questions asked were, ‘have you had any interactions with Dechert? (Previous Attendance to their open day or a member of Aspiring Solicitors goes down well)’, ‘what type of tasks would a trainee sitting in X department do?’

Ultimately, the firm values commercially aware candidates but they don’t expect you to be an expert, just make sure you have ‘awareness’.

I wish you the very best of luck!

Last edited:

Didi

Oct 31, 2018
    Hey massive congratulations!

To add on to this, I believe the written task will be a hand written one (old fashioned). So as Jaysen alluded to above, make sure you avoide spelling errors and write clearly and simple.

Question: is there not a case study exercise or is this now included in the partner interview? In any case, I suggest you brush up on the basics of a contract, i.e if you were given a lease contract in the context of a real estate deal, which clauses would be the most important for your client and what might you change for the benefit of your client if given the chance? Consider clauses re the price, repayment date, default clauses etc. Ultimately, try and use your common sense and think about what will be most important to your client.

From my experience there wasn’t many competency or strength based questions however you should still use the STAR method and try and sell your skills if given the opportunity and where appropriate. The Assessment Centre is HEAVILY based around ones commercial awareness therefore brush up on this and be prepared to offer your views and potentially linking them to Dechert as a firm and as a BUSINESS.

Further, I note you will likely be asked to talk through a typical M&A deal. You should make sure you know the basics as well as mentioning which other areas of law may be involved I.e, IP, tax, corporate etc and try and explain why these sectors will be relevant to an M&A deal (use your commercial awareness by taking into account cost saving measures that an international firm like Dechert can offer by bringing together different sectors to compliment The clients’ needs).

Separately - I would also prepare for a question in respect to the other firm’s you’ve applied to and how they differentiate from Dechert and how Dechert suits your skills, interest, ambition etc.

Further questions asked were, ‘have you had any interactions with Dechert? (Previous Attendance to their open day or a member of Aspiring Solicitors goes down well)’, ‘what type of tasks would a trainee sitting in X department do?’

Ultimately, the firm values commercially aware candidates but they don’t expect you to be an expert, just make sure you have ‘awareness’.

I wish you the very best of luck!

Thank you Sandrou!

Yes, the interview is split into three categories: about you, about Dechert and a commercial awareness scenario.

The "talk to us about our competitors" has been really pushed as it came up during the Open Day and VI.

I will definitely update everyone once completed!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.