Hearing Back from Firms + AC & Interview Tips Share - 2018 - 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

ELA

Valued Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Jan 20, 2019
Varies soooooo much from firm to firm. Therefore, difficult to give a timescale. Try to be patient and not worry about hearing back. Just keep firing off applications, almost trying to forget about what you submit.
I will try! Thank you :)

JL

Star Member
Oct 31, 2018
Hey everyone,

I received the result of my final AC yesterday. I'm super excited that I've managed to secure four vacation schemes this year. I want to thank everyone on TCLA for their advice, particularly @Jaysen for the invaluable resources. Coming from a non-law degree, I was initially put off when I received multiple rejections last cycle. I do really believe that the application process is a skill that can be learned so don't give up! I'd be more than happy to chat with anyone about my experiences and strategies I used.

azbwcy

Jan 6, 2019
Hey everyone,

I received the result of my final AC yesterday. I'm super excited that I've managed to secure four vacation schemes this year. I want to thank everyone on TCLA for their advice, particularly @Jaysen for the invaluable resources. Coming from a non-law degree, I was initially put off when I received multiple rejections last cycle. I do really believe that the application process is a skill that can be learned so don't give up! I'd be more than happy to chat with anyone about my experiences and strategies I used.

Congratulations - four vac schemes is unbelievable!! I was wondering if you wouldn't mind sharing what kind of strategies you think worked/how you changed your approach this cycle?

Reactions: Helena

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hey everyone,

Very impressive, well done!

It would also be great to get your perspective on how you feel the application process is a skill (which I completely agree with).

Reactions: wwood and gigi23
    D

Deleted member 613

This is slightly unrelated to ACs/Interviews but I thought I'd bring to everyone's attention as they are very useful for tips/preparation...that TCLA has various social media platforms in addition to the website.
    In particular, LinkedIn, Facebook and Twitter are a good way to get the most out of the TCLA network as each platform offers different information and interactions!

Twitter: @officialTCLA
    LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/company/the-corporate-law-academy/
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/The-Corporate-Law-Academy-152182482083752/

gigi23

Distinguished Member
    Jan 18, 2019
    I received a first-round interview offer. Best of luck!
    I actually got an invite too I’m so excited!!

I have a question however if anyone can help. :)
    This will be my first face to face interview forTC/VS things and they’ve said in the email they’re still in the process of scheduling the interviews which will take place next week and at the beginning of the following week as well. They’ve mentioned contacting them if I had any special requirement or could not make said interview dates. I’m an international student and I’m currently abroad (not too far thanks to the Eurostar) however I’m also working full time and attending evening classes on both weeks during which they intend to hold the interview. I don’t have a specific day I can’t make but I would like to know somewhat in advance what day the interview will be on so I can give notice to my office that I’ll be needing a day off to go to London.. I also would need it to not be in the morning so I can catch a train to and from on the same day..
    I’m not sure how to go around asking for that (or even if I should ask as I don’t want to get on their wrong side or be deemed difficult or anything..) ? Should I email them or stay quiet until they schedule my interview?

• 🏆
    Reactions: STWO and (deleted member)
    D

Deleted member 970

This will be my first face to face interview forTC/VS things and they’ve said in the email they’re still in the process of scheduling the interviews which will take place next week and at the beginning of the following week as well. They’ve mentioned contacting them if I had any special requirement or could not make said interview dates. I’m an international student and I’m currently abroad (not too far thanks to the Eurostar) however I’m also working full time and attending evening classes on both weeks during which they intend to hold the interview. I don’t have a specific day I can’t make but I would like to know somewhat in advance what day the interview will be on so I can give notice to my office that I’ll be needing a day off to go to London.. I also would need it to not be in the morning so I can catch a train to and from on the same day..
    I’m not sure how to go around asking for that (or even if I should ask as I don’t want to get on their wrong side or be deemed difficult or anything..) ? Should I email them or stay quiet until they schedule my interview?

You could let them know that you will be available during the second week in the mornings, so that they wont give you an interview too soon so that you could have time to plan your journey and sort a day off with work. I'm sure they would understand your situation :)

Reactions: gigi23

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    This is slightly unrelated to ACs/Interviews but I thought I'd bring to everyone's attention as they are very useful for tips/preparation...that TCLA has various social media platforms in addition to the website.
    In particular, LinkedIn, Facebook and Twitter are a good way to get the most out of the TCLA network as each platform offers different information and interactions!

Twitter: @officialTCLA
    LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/company/the-corporate-law-academy/
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/The-Corporate-Law-Academy-152182482083752/

Definitely. We share many different resources on our platforms that isn't available elsewhere!

Helena

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Feb 28, 2018

By all means explain to them the travel arrangements you need to make and when you could feasibly reach London. Say you would therefore be grateful to know the interview date at their earliest convenience so that you can make the necessary plans. Chances are they are paying the travel expenses so you could catch a very early Eurostar and be in London before 11. Alternatively, It may be better for you to travel the night before to London if you can and stay with a friend as interviews are often in the morning. I am sure if you explain, look into the potential trains you can catch you will see you have options. Good luck

gigi23

Distinguished Member
    Jan 18, 2019
    Thank you very much for your help! I've emailed them and they have already replied willing to commit to a date for my interview so it's easier to make arrangements. :) Didn't dare ask about whether they paid expenses or not though, but I hope so considering the price of the eurostar tickets lol

Last edited:
    Reactions: Deleted member 970

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    Not strictly law related but Happy International Women’s Day to all the women looking to break the mould and change the legal profession and a thank you to all the men supporting and championing us all to do so. This difficult but rewarding process would be much harder if it wasn’t for the incredible women in my life and those who I’ve met on this platform constantly empowering me and motivating me to keep going. And for anybody seeing this who doesn’t identify as male or female, here’s to you too and your past, present and future success!

• 🏆
    • 🤝
    Reactions: CF, Jai C., Katie R and 15 others

Selina

Star Member
    Oct 1, 2018
    Not strictly law related but Happy International Women’s Day to all the women looking to break the mould and change the legal profession and a thank you to all the men supporting and championing us all to do so. This difficult but rewarding process would be much harder if it wasn’t for the incredible women in my life and those who I’ve met on this platform constantly empowering me and motivating me to keep going. And for anybody seeing this who doesn’t identify as male or female, here’s to you too and your past, present and future success!

I echo this - very well put Alice! Happy International Women's Day :)

Helena

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Feb 28, 2018
    I echo this - very well put Alice! Happy International Women's Day :)

Me too - well said Alice!

Reactions: Alice G

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    Hey guys, does anyone have an example of a handout they used for the presentation at Latham & Watkins? I'm quite confused about how the presentation works, since we can't use PowerPoint.
    I just prepared a PowerPoint and printed the handouts for them to follow with me :) hope that makes sense! :)

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    Hey guys, does anyone have an example of a handout they used for the presentation at Latham & Watkins? I'm quite confused about how the presentation works, since we can't use PowerPoint.
    Also- if I can help further send me a message! I switched from spring to summer so we might be on the same scheme!! :)

• ℹ️
    • 🤝
    Reactions: Jai C. and TheCustardPants

wwood

Distinguished Member
    Jan 19, 2019
    Hello guys. I just accepted a TC from Links. It still feels unreal. This was my first AC and I was lucky enough to get the offer. I never thought that I would be able to make it when I was filling the applications form in the winter. I really didn't expect anything as I have received countless rejections for first-year schemes, and I don't think there's anything special in me. So when I received my AC invite, I believed it was just luck and I would almost defo screw up because it just seems so hard and I don't believe in myself. But anyway, I didn't give up and I did my best to prep for it. After I walked out of the interview room that day, I honestly thought it exploded and that was the end. But I guess miracles do happen, and all the hard work does pay off.

So guys, remember, never give up! During the process, don't worry too much about whether you will get good results. We all fail but we learn and reflect. That's how we improve. Just keep working and focusing on what you are doing. Hang in there and you never know what's going to happen!

Lastly, I just want to say a massive thank you to Jaysen, and I don't think it will be possible with him :)

All the best.

Congratulations! This is amazing!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.