Hearing Back from Firms + AC & Interview Tips Share - 2018 - 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hazal

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Sep 25, 2018
Keep persevering @yanerlim! I know receiving rejections can be a very tiresome (especially with the amount of time that goes into each individual application form), however, do not lose hope. You will receive the good news you are hoping for eventually! Remember to remain positive - it will be worth it in the end!

Also, has anyone heard back from BCLP, in terms of AC or offers?

I believe some people on this forum have had BCLP AC's

Helena

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Feb 28, 2018
Some advice please on the Simmons Summer app. On the question "Please give details of interests, positions of responsibility, skills and please include any other information relevant to you application", what do you think about including an interview experience at Simmons for a job on their Navigator on-line. Interview with two partners and got to last two. To be included or not on the basis of a genuine interest in technology and its place in the legal sector?
Any thoughts?

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Some advice please on the Simmons Summer app. On the question "Please give details of interests, positions of responsibility, skills and please include any other information relevant to you application", what do you think about including an interview experience at Simmons for a job on their Navigator on-line. Interview with two partners and got to last two. To be included or not on the basis of a genuine interest in technology and its place in the legal sector?
    Any thoughts?

Yep I'd go for it.

Reactions: Helena

Sophie Bell

Star Member
    Oct 29, 2018
    Keep persevering @yanerlim! I know receiving rejections can be a very tiresome (especially with the amount of time that goes into each individual application form), however, do not lose hope. You will receive the good news you are hoping for eventually! Remember to remain positive - it will be worth it in the end!

Also, has anyone heard back from BCLP, in terms of AC or offers?

I've heard nothing from BCLP and applied over two weeks ago!

Selina

Star Member
    Oct 1, 2018
    Just received this from Shearman:

"Thank you for your application to Shearman & Sterling LLP. We have now filled our limited vacation scheme places. Therefore, we will not be progressing with your application for our Winter Vacation Scheme.

We understand this will come as a disappointment.

However, we were impressed with your application and would like to stay in touch with you in the hope that you will be interested in applying for one of our future Vacation Schemes."

Does this mean that they'll automatically forward my application into the Spring/Summer vacation scheme or will I have to reapply? Will I have to rewrite my application form answers? It's all rather ambiguous.

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018

"Thank you for your application to Shearman & Sterling LLP. We have now filled our limited vacation scheme places. Therefore, we will not be progressing with your application for our Winter Vacation Scheme.

However, we were impressed with your application and would like to stay in touch with you in the hope that you will be interested in applying for one of our future Vacation Schemes."

Does this mean that they'll automatically forward my application into the Spring/Summer vacation scheme or will I have to reapply? Will I have to rewrite my application form answers? It's all rather ambiguous.
    I would send them an email to double check. But at least that's somewhat positive!

Abstruser

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Jul 19, 2018

Definitely positive news! My Shearman rejection letter was more generic. The wording suggests you would have to reapply, but you could always email to follow up!

Selina

Star Member
    Oct 1, 2018
    I would send them an email to double check. But at least that's somewhat positive!

Definitely positive news! My Shearman rejection letter was more generic. The wording suggests you would have to reapply, but you could always email to follow up!

Thank you all! I've sent back an email to clarify what they mean. Although if I do have to reapply I'm not sure how different my answers will be - hopefully this doesn't put me at a disadvantage in comparison to new applications for the S/S schemes.

Helena

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Feb 28, 2018
    Thank you all! I've sent back an email to clarify what they mean. Although if I do have to reapply I'm not sure how different my answers will be - hopefully this doesn't put me at a disadvantage in comparison to new applications for the S/S schemes.
    I really don't think you will be at a disadvantage as they would not have sent that email if they didn't want you to reapply. I think you are in with a good chance and be ready to submit as soon as you know their response.

PMF_II

Star Member
    Mar 1, 2018
    Does anyone have any advice for a Slaughter and May TC interview?
    It’s one of those that are quite difficult to prepare for. The partners picked a weakness in my CV and quizzed me on that point alone for about 20 minutes. Be prepared to defend yourself under pressure . The article I had to discuss was not commercial at all. It was an opinion piece from the FT, but the topic was free higher education. My advice is to read widely. Good luck.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.