Hearing Back from Firms + AC & Interview Tips Share - 2018 - 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

J Wu

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Sep 11, 2018
I think I now believe in miracles and/or a higher power :eek:

After my train wreck of a telephone interview with Mayer Brown on Friday, I’ve been invited to an AC?!?

(Praying I don’t later receive an email to say it was a glitch!)

Congrats! Glad to hear things went better than you thought. Best of luck for the AC!

• 🤝
Reactions: Naomi

Roland

Distinguished Member
Jan 10, 2019
Btw, I just got the invitation to do the behavioral-based assessment called Skyrise City for Gowling WLG and I heard it's like a game? Has anyone done it before? Any tips would be appreciated! Thanks!!

bob

Nov 10, 2018
Perfect, thanks very much for your reply, Jada! Do you know if Linklaters place a lot of importance on your result or just take a pass/fail approach?

i dont think they place too much importance on it- i placed in the 90th percentile when i did mine back in oct for the winter VS and got rejected a few hours later, despite having a high 2:1 and work experience in an investment bank. i would assume based on this that the most important aspect of the application is how you answer the three questions they ask you

edit: having read the post about the 80-th percentile cut off, it might be of relevance to add that i (stupidly) applied on deadline day, got the link to the assessment a day or two later and then got rejected few hours later despite my high score. i would not be surprised if they did not even read my application..

Last edited:

Naomi

Esteemed Member
Premium Member
Oct 14, 2018
Ahh congratulations!! So glad to hear this news, goes to show how hard interviews can be to gauge! Very best of luck with the AC :)

Thank you! And I'll say! I thought my answers were too vague and not substantive, on top of all the awkward pauses... would be interested to see their marking grid. Still no email to denounce my invite so hopefully this reassures anyone else with a MB phone interview.

• 🤝
Reactions: Alice G

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Just a quick question - I have an AC tomorrow and they specifically say the interview is a competency based one. Is it safe to assume that they won't be asking why law, why us etc?

I wouldn't assume that. I'd think they were more likely to come up in that kind of interview (compared to a commercial one).

Reactions: SGA

Maccie

Future Trainee
    Sep 22, 2018
    Linklaters will no longer consider your application if you do not pass the test to their standard which is quite intense. I have read from someone who used to work in Grad Recruitment there that your score has to be in the 80th percentile for your application to be considered which I think is really high! But they might change it year to year. It is a shame if you spend ages on an application and it gets thrown away because you don't pass a test. I guess they use it to cut down the number of applications to read as well as a benchmark for critical thinking.

If that gives you any indication of Linklaters’ standard, I failed their Watson Glaser test. I also took another firm’s WG on the next day and it was the exact same test, and I passed with a 36/40 (88th percentile). I am fairly certain my answers were consistent across both tests; so I would guess their standard is at least around the 80th percentile.

Or one could read that as showing that there is an important share of luck and circumstances in these tests. Frustrating, I know

Reactions: Jada Akuffo

Raphael Yan Bing Khoo

Future Trainee
    Sep 17, 2018
    If that gives you any indication of Linklaters’ standard, I failed their Watson Glaser test. I also took another firm’s WG on the next day and it was the exact same test, and I passed with a 36/40 (88th percentile). I am fairly certain my answers were consistent across both tests; so I would guess their standard is at least around the 80th percentile.

Or one could read that as showing that there is an important share of luck and circumstances in these tests. Frustrating, I know
    How do you know your result for the WGT?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.