Hearing Back from Firms + AC & Interview Tips Share - 2018 - 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Helena

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Feb 28, 2018
Thanks Jaysen, that is a comprehensive answer. I completely get the investment and of course the firm has to be certain about a future trainee. I agree with you about how you come across at interview and that is key. I clearly need to work on this part.

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
Trainee
Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    Thank you so much for your reply! They also told me that my answer to 'why the firm' showed a lack of understanding towards the firm. Practised this question with different people including my university's career consultant. Guess I didn't build sufficient rapport with the interviewer cause the GR team didn't conduct the interview themselves :(
    A pleasure! Hmm interesting in which case I would definitely get more feedback as if you practised it with various people it would be good to know how you showed a lack of understanding for future interviews

PMF_II

Star Member
    Mar 1, 2018
    On that last point Jaysen I feel that is often the deciding factor isn't it? Motivation. And it is so hard to convince the firm sometimes. You can do all your research and answer confidently why that firm but they don't think you have it. What advice can you give on this please?

You could try to compare the firm with their competitors to give more depth to your answer. In one of my partner interviews, I went on and on about how I liked the firm I interviewed at. I thought that showed my enthusiasm and commitment. They didn't ask me where else I was applying, so I didn't mention other firms. Later I received the feedback that I should have compared them with other competitors. It wasn't that I didn't make such comparison in my mind. I was waiting for an opportunity to show that knowledge, which was the wrong approach. :)

Reactions: SB, MA96 and Helena

Helena

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Feb 28, 2018
    You could try to compare the firm with their competitors to give more depth to your answer. In one of my partner interviews, I went on and on about how I liked the firm I interviewed at. I thought that showed my enthusiasm and commitment. They didn't ask me where else I was applying, so I didn't mention other firms. Later I received the feedback that I should have compared them with other competitors. It wasn't that I didn't make such comparison in my mind. I was waiting for an opportunity to show that knowledge, which was the wrong approach. :)
    That's an interesting point. And as a matter of fact they did ask where else I had applied and maybe that's where I fell down by not making enough of a song and dance about why I preferred them! Thank you

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    Hi guys, with HSF was the email an explicit ‘you passed the test’ or was it a ‘your application is under review’ just trying to ascertain exactly where I stand because it didn’t say I passed in black and white. Sorry if this is a really daft question!! :)

Roland

Distinguished Member
    Jan 10, 2019
    Hi guys, with HSF was the email an explicit ‘you passed the test’ or was it a ‘your application is under review’ just trying to ascertain exactly where I stand because it didn’t say I passed in black and white. Sorry if this is a really daft question!! :)

Hi there! I just got 2 emails from HSF saying that I have reached the benchmark on the online test and my application is under review. The first email just said my application is under review. The second one specifically said I reached the benchmark and is an (probably automated) email from automation manager.

Hope this helps!

Reactions: SB

Sandrou

Esteemed Member
    Feb 28, 2018
    When asked this question, I basically said I lacked the hands on experience and confidence of working within a corporate environment.

Given this, I aimed to cover this weakness by applying for different roles (analyst, paralegal etc).

I then mentioned that it was “essential to identify my weaknesses, which, in this case was my... in order to cover the gaps in my knowledge and experience”.

I would then revert back to linking & concluding your to the firm.
    Hi all!

I have an AC coming up for a VS and I completed a Winter Vac but was unsuccessful in securing a training contract. How do you think I should approach this if I'm asked why I wasn't able to convert the VS into a TC?

Reactions: SB

MA96

Future Trainee
    Jan 14, 2019
    Try to give an honest reflection of what you feel you could have improved on. e.g. Was there a particular assessment that could have gone better? Maybe you didn't convince the firm of your motivation in the final interview?

Motivation is definitely one of the most important factors. Firms know how tough it is for trainees, that you're going to be working long hours under a lot of pressure. They need someone who will thrive in that environment and work well with the rest of the team. It's why they want someone who has a genuine interest in commercial law and a genuine interest in their firm. It's an expensive investment on their part and they need to believe you're right for them.

This is why research and knowledge can only go so far. If you've met the firm before, this will go down well because you show you've made the effort to meet the firm. It's also a lot about the way you come across in an interview. Recruiters are pretty adept at picking out which candidates have a genuine interest, compared to the candidates who recycle deals they've read or tier one rankings from Legal 500. When you're answering "Why our firm?", try to go beyond a rehearsed, surface-level answer. Really think about why you find their training contract structure or their international reach interesting and why you'd choose them over any other firm. These things can be tricky to find, but again, you can get better with practice.

This is great advice Jaysen - thank you!

MA96

Future Trainee
    Jan 14, 2019
    When asked this question, I basically said I lacked the hands on experience and confidence of working within a corporate environment.

Given this, I aimed to cover this weakness by applying for different roles (analyst, paralegal etc).

I then mentioned that it was “essential to identify my weaknesses, which, in this case was my... in order to cover the gaps in my knowledge and experience”.

I would then revert back to linking & concluding your to the firm.

This is a great approach - thanks for sharing!

SB

Jan 10, 2019

I just got one email saying my application is under review! No mention of whether I passed the test or not. Mine seems to be just a holding email.

Reactions: Alice G

Helena

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Feb 28, 2018
    After 2 failed cycles finally got my first vac at Macfarlanes! (got called today from last thursdays AC). Thanks to everyone who's been posting on here has been a massive help in the app cycle
    Fantastic news Oliver. Have you done many other ACs in the past? I am so pleased for you after your perseverance. Richly deserved.

SB

Jan 10, 2019

I just got the second email which stated I have reached the benchmark on the test.

Reactions: Alice G
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.