Hearing Back from Firms + AC & Interview Tips Share - 2018 - 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

haylaw

Star Member
Jan 16, 2019
Hi guys,

I have just been invited to an interview at Reed Smith next week! I was wondering if anyone has completed the interview or a strengths-based interview in general and could offer any advice or guidance? Or alternatively could put me in contact with anyone who could help.

Thank you!

• 🏆
Reactions: Vany, Naomi and gigi23

Chiara

Dec 4, 2018
Hi guys,

I have just been invited to an interview at Reed Smith next week! I was wondering if anyone has completed the interview or a strengths-based interview in general and could offer any advice or guidance? Or alternatively could put me in contact with anyone who could help.

Thank you!

Hey, congratulations for your interview! I am still waiting to hear back, hopefully will be soon. As for the interview, do you know if it is just a strength based interview or also an AC? Because I heard conflicting info and I am confused!

Hazal

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Sep 25, 2018
Hey, congratulations for your interview! I am still waiting to hear back, hopefully will be soon. As for the interview, do you know if it is just a strength based interview or also an AC? Because I heard conflicting info and I am confused!

I believe for vac schemes it's only the strengths interview? But for direct TC it's the entire AC including strengths interview.

Hi guys,

Thank you!

I did their AC last year which had the strengths based interview. I'm happy to provide some thoughts and advice but theres also an Ask Me Anything somewhere on the site where incoming rs trainee, Rachel, gives her tips on how she prepared. Fun fact: Rachel and I were on the same AC so you can hear from both successful and unsuccessful sides of the story :D

D

Deleted member 613

How would anyone suggest answering questions about where else have you been invited to interview? Or where else you've applied to? - as I'm conscious interviewers might be aware that vac scheme deadlines are mostly closed...
If you say you have had interviews and been rejected, are you shooting yourself in the foot?

Didi

Oct 31, 2018
How would anyone suggest answering questions about where else have you been invited to interview? Or where else you've applied to? - as I'm conscious interviewers might be aware that vac scheme deadlines are mostly closed...
If you say you have had interviews and been rejected, are you shooting yourself in the foot?
Hi I had an AC this week and I would say there is two parts to this. Firstly, I don't think that its a negative to be honest about the process of being rejected its a sad truth but I made sure to explain my willingness to be resilient and still keep applying. Trying to take every experience as a chance to grow will make you look like a stronger candidate. Telling them where you apply I was advised by a FT to tailor the list to the firm regardless of whether you have applied to each firm - essentially only talk about the firm's competitors. I personally felt like I had justifications for applying to firms that may seem different (trainee intake in MS vs US firms) and I was pushed on that during my interview. I think it's probably easier to go the first route but I felt weird about it. I think it obviously wouldn't make sense to mention firms that are on opposite ends of the spectrum.

Reactions: Deleted member 613
D

Deleted member 613

Hi I had an AC this week and I would say there is two parts to this. Firstly, I don't think that its a negative to be honest about the process of being rejected its a sad truth but I made sure to explain my willingness to be resilient and still keep applying. Trying to take every experience as a chance to grow will make you look like a stronger candidate. Telling them where you apply I was advised by a FT to tailor the list to the firm regardless of whether you have applied to each firm - essentially only talk about the firm's competitors. I personally felt like I had justifications for applying to firms that may seem different (trainee intake in MS vs US firms) and I was pushed on that during my interview. I think it's probably easier to go the first route but I felt weird about it. I think it obviously wouldn't make sense to mention firms that are on opposite ends of the spectrum.

Thank you, that's really helpful. Did you have to go into detail about at which point you were rejected? And in terms of MS v US firms, what were your justifications out of curiosity? As you're right, I've mostly been told to just cite the firm's competitors

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.