Hearing Back from Firms + AC & Interview Tips Share - 2018 - 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abstruser

Legendary Member
Trainee
Jul 19, 2018
How would anyone suggest answering questions about where else have you been invited to interview? Or where else you've applied to? - as I'm conscious interviewers might be aware that vac scheme deadlines are mostly closed...
If you say you have had interviews and been rejected, are you shooting yourself in the foot?

I don't think you'll be shooting yourself in the foot if you mention firms that you've interviewed at...it sounds cheesy, but it is quite an achievement in itself to be one of the few hundred (or less, depending on the firm) invited to interview out of thousands of applicants. As @Jessica_ mentioned above, it's more about showing a degree of self-awareness by explaining where you fell down, and what you've done to improve yourself since. In my first application cycle, I had two post-AC failures which I was told were due to my lack of commercial awareness and confidence while speaking. So I made the effort to join a local Toastmasters club, and picked up a campus ambassador role for a financial news startup. In subsequent interviews, I would then say 'yes, I was interviewed and rejected from A, B, and C, but I was determined to succeed and did X, Y and Z to improve myself, and here I am now'. It shows honesty and resilience to admit your failures and how you've moved on from them, IMO :)

Did you have to go into detail about at which point you were rejected?

I think it's unlikely you'll be asked about this in detail, so if you're not comfortable sharing some parts of your feedback, then don't.

And in terms of MS v US firms, what were your justifications out of curiosity? As you're right, I've mostly been told to just cite the firm's competitors

I personally explained my preference for MC firms as coming down to breadth. Many (not all) US firms are excellent in one or two practice areas like private equity or capital markets, which is great if you know exactly what you want to go into now, but not so great if you're looking for broad experience in your training contract. I also didn't like the satellite culture found in many (not all) London offices of US firms - because major management decisions are made by the US headquarters, the London office (which is where you'll be training and qualifying) can sometimes be treated as a slightly secondary outpost of the US mothership. The degree to which those points matter will differ across individuals, but those were the points I raised. I had examples of open day interactions, or information from my friends in US law firms, which helped me make these points more personal and (I think) convincing.

I'm not sure you need to cite direct competitors, just as long as you can show some sort of correlation between the firms that you were applying to.

Last edited:

PMF_II

Star Member
Mar 1, 2018
Thank you, that's really helpful. Did you have to go into detail about at which point you were rejected? And in terms of MS v US firms, what were your justifications out of curiosity? As you're right, I've mostly been told to just cite the firm's competitors

In a recent interview, I was asked to share the reasons I was rejected by other firms and how I built my case. I was honest about the feedback I received and how it helped me reflect on my career motivations. My response went down very well with the interviewers, so I guess the key is to show that you're willing to learn from failures.

• 🏆
Reactions: Deleted member 613

haylaw

Star Member
Jan 16, 2019
Hey, congratulations for your interview! I am still waiting to hear back, hopefully will be soon. As for the interview, do you know if it is just a strength based interview or also an AC? Because I heard conflicting info and I am confused!
Hi Chiara,

Yes the email says that it is just a strengths-based interview and an introductory welcome talk so the whole thing should last about an hour or so!

Good luck x

• 🤝
Reactions: Chiara

Didi

Oct 31, 2018
Thank you, that's really helpful. Did you have to go into detail about at which point you were rejected? And in terms of MS v US firms, what were your justifications out of curiosity? As you're right, I've mostly been told to just cite the firm's competitors

I didn't go into much detail. The question was posed as what has been your strategy for applying and how has it gone so far? My personal justification for some MS vs US firms is the scale of the work they're doing specifically in the practice areas that are of interest to me. The firm I interviewed at (Dechert) is practice area focused and in many of their ranked practice areas the biggest competitors are some of the MS firms. I also attended a lecture last week from a former business development manager at BCLP and he sort of reinforced this idea. He explained that when he was doing market research US vs MS was not the starting point it was different sectors, then industries this would then mean noticing some overlap in clients at both levels.

Insecable

Star Member
Trainee
Junior Lawyer 16
Jan 13, 2019
Got an AC invite for PwC Legal! Does anyone have any tips/advice? I understand they have completely changed their recruitment process this year so if anyone has any insights or been to their open day, it'd be greatly appreciated!!

Good luck! You should get a phone call explaining what the day entails and that is probably your best chance to ask any questions you may have.

Reactions: Roland

gigi23

Distinguished Member
Jan 18, 2019
Yes, i made the mistake of emailing them to find out and they sent me my rejection within an hour :(. Lots of luck with your application!!!!

I'm really sorry to hear that! It's really strange for them to have rejected you so soon after your email!
Now I'll for sure refrain from emailing them about it even though the wait is killing me..
Thanks a lot, and all the best to you for your other apps :)

Kate

Standard Member
Junior Lawyer 25
Jul 25, 2018
Has anyone heard back from Freshfields after the VS AC?
Had mine on Feb 12 and Stef from Grad Rec told me they would aim to let me know in a week :D I know the firm is notorious for letting people know quite late so I'm trying not to worry – but if there's anybody out there in the same situation, know that you're not alone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.