Hearing Back from Law Firms, Assessment Centres & Interview Tips - 2019 - 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
Trainee
Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    Hey guys, I too got rejected from Davis Polk today. However, I’m determined not to let it knock my confidence for my upcoming ACs, starting with Kirkland on Wednesday! These next couple of months are gonna be very interesting and I know we’re all gonna grow and improve with the experiences we have. Have a great week all :)

Last edited:

Emina

Star Member
    Jul 16, 2019
    But it’s still no reason to at least not get a reply. I met their head of recruitment but I don’t know if it’ll be a reach to ask when we can expect to hear back. I asked someone from another firm & they pretty much aired my message on LinkedIn.

Yeah I’d assume that the Dechert VS is quite competitive - but like you said, it would be nice to get a reply! Their application form took quite some effort too

Reactions: Frank

Frank

Valued Member
    Dec 12, 2018
    I will never understand the logic behind HR's reasoning; if it's a generic email or indeed it is the case, then why don't you explain the decision? It's like "you're cute, but I won't hire you". I was literally puzzled for at least a minute.

"Many thanks for your application for a summer vacation scheme. Your credentials and experience are impressive, but unfortunately we are unable to invite you to interview with our firm."

Frank

Valued Member
    Dec 12, 2018
    Hey guys, I too got rejected from Davis Polk today. However, I’m determined not to let it knock my confidence for my upcoming ACs, starting with Kirkland on Wednesday! These next couple of months are gonna be very interesting and I know we’re all gonna grow and improve with the experiences we have. Have a great week all :)
    did you get the same cute message as I did above? Please tell me as I'm about to flip my lid

J Malone

Valued Member
    Jun 1, 2018
    Wish you have great luck in the upcoming interview, Daniel!

I think I have got PFO from the firm but I still have a positive view towards the other firms!

• 🤝
    Reactions: Daniel Boden
    D

Deleted member 2707

I don't think it's fair to say that GR should give applicants feedback. Whilst it would definitely be nice (and immensely helpful!), we are definitely not entitled to one. I think we should appreciate that they do have a lot of applicants to go through and that many GR Teams just simply don't have the time or resources to give even vague feedback. I do understand the frustration of a generic email though!

Frank

Valued Member
    Dec 12, 2018
    I don't think it's fair to say that GR should give applicants feedback. Whilst it would definitely be nice (and immensely helpful!), we are definitely not entitled to one. I think we should appreciate that they do have a lot of applicants to go through and that many GR Teams just simply don't have the time or resources to give even vague feedback. I do understand the frustration of a generic email though!

Indeed, though BCLP gives feedback at the application stage!

Flk10

Star Member
    Jan 18, 2020
    Clearly they can't give everyone feedback at application stage, but I think the least people deserve after hours spent on the application and AC is a few words on how to improve future interviews. I don't believe that law firms interview so many people that they don't have the resources to make a 5 minute phone call at a convenient date.

Reactions: Demna87

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Would be grateful for an opinion on the following:

In answering the question 'what is a business you admire', is it necessary to link it back to the firm? Is it more hinting that I should choose a client of the firm?

neither.

just answer the question and explain why.

Reactions: HD and Jen E C
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.